Thread: Keith Duffy leaves Coronation Street

Keith Duffy leaves Coronation Street

star Keith Duffy is to quit Coronation Street for the second time to concentrate on Boyzone.

Keith, 35, who plays heart-throb Ciaran McCarthy in the ITV1 soap, snubbed producers' pleas for him to sign a new deal into next year.

Keith said: "I need to concentrate on being with the boys. We've got a lot coming up so I've decided they'll take priority.

I like him, shame he is not staying longer

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (21-03-2010), tammyy2j (21-03-2010)

I like him too. Why did he come back only to leave after a short while?

Keith Duffy has reportedly announced that he will be quitting Coronation Street later this year.

The Boyzone star said that his decision not to renew his contract in November was a "hard choice" and came despite pleas from producers to stay.

According to The People, Duffy, who plays the Rovers' Ciaran McCarthy, said that he needs to concentrate on his music commitments.

Brother, the boyband's first album since Stephen Gately's death last year, went to number one in the UK charts last Sunday and a tour and promotional work in South East Asia has been lined up for 2011.

Duffy, 35, said that he has made friends on the Weatherfield soap and will be sad to leave, but added: "I need to concentrate on being with the boys. We've got a lot coming up so I've decided they'll take priority. I love the show so it's been a hard decision. But I know it’s right."

He earlier revealed that Coronation Street proved a much-needed focus following Gately's death.

Duffy rejoined the cast in January this year after an earlier two-and-a-half year stint on the ITV1 show.

DS

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (22-03-2010)

His return was pointless tbh i guess if the Boyzone album had failed he would have stayed in the show

No Boyzone album will ever fail

thats a shame

Both Keith Duffy and ITV have scotched rumours that Duffy is to quit Corrie. ITV have said that he is involved in a number of big storylines and his part will take into account his committments with Boyzone.

The ITV source also laughed at stories stating they were trying to get Cilla Black on the show

The Corrie rumour mill has been working overtime recently.
    First we heard that Keith Duffy was planning to leave the Street. This was news to us, and to Keith!
    Just to put the record straight, he says:
    “I am happy and very excited to be working on Coronation Street. I’ve got some great storylines coming up and whilst I do have commitments to Boyzone I have been able to combine the two things very well.I love playing Ciaran!”
    We also heard that Cilla Black was planning to come to join us in Weatherfield. Again, much as we'd like to bump into Cilla in the Rovers, she's not joining the show.
    Our press officer told us: “No approach has been made to Cilla Black about appearing in Coronation Street. Cilla is incredibly famous and it would be difficult to see how she could appear in Coronation Street as a different character.”
    Source ITV Website

Looks like Digital Stupidity got it wrong AGAIN!!!!!!!
    Last edited by alan45; 24-03-2010 at 23:37.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (25-03-2010)

I'm glad Ciaran isn't leaving.

On "This Morning" it was said that he is not leaving corrie and has a few good story lines coming up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fraggle1961 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (25-03-2010)

Thread Information