Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Charity Dingle Tate Sharma (Emma Atkins)

It is really odd when you put it like that I know the Emmerdale village is small but not that small!

not long to go before it all come out

Im really looking forward to her return now.
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

IT'S a family affair when Debbie Dingle realises her secret love rival is actually her mum Charity.

The sexy mechanic races to the church to stop her two-timing boyfriend Michael Conway from marrying his mystery bride.

But it’s Debbie who’s dumbstruck when she bursts into the church with her dad Cain and sees Michael’s bride-to-be is her mum.

Our insider said: “After getting another beating from Cain, Michael drops the bombshell that he’s getting married.

“A distraught Debbie tries to talk him out of it but he tells her his fiancée is pregnant and he can’t turn his back on his baby.

“On the day of the wedding Debbie can’t bear to just sit back and do nothing so along with Cain she races to the church to try and win Michael back.

“They arrive just as the veiled bride is walking down the aisle. As they burst through the church doors a stunned Michael spins round. But that’s nothing to the shock Debbie receives when she sees who he’s marrying.”

The dramatic scenes see Emma Atkins back in the Dales to play selfish blonde Charity after four years away.

And viewers can expect the fall-out to be huge in what promises to be one of the soap’s biggest storylines of the year.

“Charity’s latest stunt leaves Debbie heartbroken,” said our insider.

“At first she can’t believe it’s her mum at the altar.

“When reality does hit she’s furious. She hasn’t seen her mum in years and then finds out she’s been living nearby all along – and playing happy families with her boyfriend.

“Let’s just say it’s far from a happy family reunion.”

The wedding scenes will be screened on Thursday October 1 on ITV1.

Do we really need the same post in several threads?

Can't wait for this episode!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Do we really need the same post in several threads?
    I wondered the same thing too

Charity Tate (Emma Atkins) interview

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a1...emmerdale.html

After a four-year absence, one of Emmerdale's most iconic characters Charity Tate - played by 34-year-old Emma Atkins - makes her eagerly-anticipated return to the show next week in dramatic soap style. With the knowledge that her lover Michael (Jamie Belman) is about to tie the knot, Debbie Dingle (Charley Webb) and her father Cain (Jeff Hordley) storm the Durham church and are stunned to the core when they see that Michael's bride is none other than Debbie's mother Charity. We recently caught up with Emma to chat about her comeback, what it's been like 'finding Charity' again, rehearsing over Skype and her return to the village.

How did the return come about?
    "It's great to be back and I'm honoured to be continuing Charity's journey. The return couldn't have been better timing really. I'd been asked by each producer over the past few years whether I'd be interested in coming back, but it seemed too soon. With work commitments too, the timing wasn't right. But at the beginning of this year, I got a phone call from my agent saying that Emmerdale had been on the phone asking if I'd be interested in making a return and whether I'd agree to meet Gavin [Blyth] for lunch to talk about the possibility.

"I went to meet Gavin up in Leeds and it was fantastic. He gave me this incredible story outline and I sat there thinking, 'I'd be a bit stupid to say no really!' Six months work for any actress is a wonderful opportunity and it'd have been daft to turn it down."

You're back for six months, then?
    "Yeah, six months initially and then who knows?!"

Did it take much persuading on Gavin's part?
    "No, not really. Gavin and I had a real heart-to-heart and he's very approachable. I've been a jobbing actress for five years and I've really enjoyed the freedom of going and playing other roles. He was really understanding of that. Obviously he wants me to stick around and it seems that might be the way it will go, but until six months is up, I don't think anyone knows."

What's it been like being back on set with Jeff and Charley again?
    "Oh, it's brilliant. There's no other words to describe it. They're amazing to work with, wonderful actors and brilliant people. They're so funny, so we have a laugh on set. We never take ourselves too seriously, but when it comes to work, we're completely dedicated.

"The other night, Charley and I had loads of lines to learn - it was actually the night before my first day back in the studio - and I text her asking if she had Skype. She text straight back saying she does and she Skyped me and we sat there for three hours doing our lines! It was absolutely brilliant. I went on set the next morning feeling really confident!"

You return is like the official 'relaunch', as it were, of the show - do you feel any pressure?
    "No because I'm a light-hearted sort of girl and the moment you start taking yourself too seriously, you start losing the essence of what my character's about. I play Charity in such a way, but as Emma, I'm quite light-hearted and that helps me get through. I so suffer from nerves and that will never change. There are days when I don't feel light-hearted in the slightest, but then there's a nice counter-balance which helps when someone mentions the ratings - at that point, I just switch off! I just treat it as any other job, like any other acting role, and do it to the best of my ability. I have fun with it, put 110% in and I hope that the outcome is what viewers are expecting."

How easy has it been to 'find' Charity again?
    "I was daunted at thinking that I might make a pig's ear of it by not being able to 'find' the character again, but I was worrying unnecessarily. As soon as I got the first brilliant script, I knew I could do it. Again, rather than adding unnecessary pressure to an already pressurised work schedule, there's no point. I want to enjoy every second I'm here and embrace the character completely again. From that train of thought and mindset, it came instinctively."

How do we first see Charity?
    "It's a huge reveal moment, where Debbie and Cain decide to storm the wedding because Debbie can't bear Michael going through with the wedding. They literally run into the church and the vicar's telling them to take a seat to join the congregation. Charity then turns around to see what the fuss is all about and that's the huge reveal of who the blushing bride is!"

What's your first expression?
    "I don't actually know! They filmed a couple of takes and thinking about it, it's probably over the top! I remember thinking, 'How am I going to react here?' because there's so much going on and so many different expressions I could have chosen. I probably pulled the worst one ever! We'll see, I'm sure it'll be fine! The reveals continue to happen throughout the episodes, though. It's non-stop revelation."

How does she end up back in the village?
    "Well, she's dragged back really. Whatever happens with the wedding means that she's left distraught, having had Debbie and Cain destroy things. Charity turns up and confronts them. She drives back into the village like a maniac in search of some answers. My second episode's just brilliant."

What are everyone's faces like?
    "They're hilarious. Betty's jaw just drops in typical Betty-style. The Dingles are all apprehensive, if not a little horrified, as they're concerned about whose life she's back to wreck now. Jimmy's hilarious, too. Nick [Miles] and I shot a hilarious scene a few days ago. Jimmy thinks he can still threaten Charity, but he's not got a leg to stand on - she's not remotely frightened. Jimmy and Nicola are fantastic, so she has a bone to pick with Charity because of all the money she stole off the Kings. The unfinished business with the Kings is to be continued…"

Charity on her backstory, pregnancy and more...

Recently, I was lucky enough to chat with one of my favourite Emmerdale actresses of all time Emma Atkins, ahead of her return to the Dales as Charity Tate.

Back in March, series producer Gavin Blyth played the first ace of his term in office when he successfully managed to persuade Emma to return to the show. Since then, Charity's comeback has been earmarked as the Emmerdale's 'new beginning', the point from which it will climb back to its best.

Will it deliver?

Going on what I've seen and read, I certainly have high hopes that from October 1 and beyond, Emmerdale will return to form and deliver the top-notch drama we all know it can.

Has the show changed much since you were there last?
    "The show has changed, but shows like Emmerdale will always change. Scripts are always changing, storylines are always moving on and the producership changes, too. Emmerdale's always been good, but certainly now with Gavin on board it's going from strength to strength. To be part of it during this time is really exciting for the programme and myself. It was perfect timing for me.

"There are new people here too, so I'm working with new actors and actresses, which is brilliant. As well, obviously I'm working with the same people here who I absolutely adore. They're all so talented and it's such a luxury to be working alongside them again."

What have you been doing in the meantime?
    "Loads of different things. I've done radio plays for Radio 4 - which I love - lots of lovely voiceovers to keep the wolf from the door. I did some lovely theatre - I did a war play down in Salisbury… When you're doing theatre, everyone knows that it's incredible to be able to stretch one's self with acting but financially, we all know it's not fantastic. So I was very lucky to have a support system of a great voiceover agent, which allowed me not to worry as much as I would have done otherwise. In the times when it was difficult, I just had to cut my cloth accordingly and I've always been quite good at that."

Are the writers still effectively writing for Charity?
    "Oh yes! As soon as I picked up the scripts, I knew they'd not forgotten her at all. The same biting wit! She's not a softie and they've not turned her into something she isn't, either. She's who she always was. She starts off the same, but the audience will be pleasantly be surprised by the journey Charity goes on. She starts questioning what she wants in her life and whether money really makes her happy. Charity has responsibilities now and she has to face up to them. The events of her first few episodes are a rude awakening."

Apparently she's pregnant?
    "Or is she?! It's certainly mentioned that she's pregnant, but whether or not she has it or loses it… It's all up in the air."

Where's Charity been all this time?
    "Oh, where hasn't she been?! Do you know what? I don't actually know! The scripts are now starting to reveal where she's actually been, so I'm learning, too. I would say that she's been with Michael for the past two or three years, more or less realising that she has a great thing in Michael. He's young, has a lot going for him and has a lot of money. He could provide for her and Noah. Charity knows she has a fantastic setup with Michael and she's been working her way up to the wedding. Before Michael, in pretend soap history, I would imagine she's been trying to set herself up with anyone she thinks is right for her! Maybe she's had her sights on Michael for some time?"

It's quite surprising that Noah's still with her, isn't it?
    "Yeah, she didn't dump him. He's one thing she didn't desert in her life. It's nice because there's a great relationship forming between mother and son. Working with little Jack [Downham] is brilliant. He's funny, he listens, he's cute, naughty and intelligent. Charity and Noah are like partners in crime, which obviously causes a lot of jealousy for Debbie because she never had that connection with her mum."

Does Charity know that she's a grandma?
    "No, not at all! She can't believe it. It's mid-argument she finds out, so she hasn't even got time to react. Beyond the vestry, there are 40 people waiting to see Michael and Charity get married, so she's really not that interested in being a granny! She wants to get back into the swing of the wedding."

What if both mother and daughter are pregnant by the same fella

I cant wait for her return

pregnant? I hope not

Thread Information