Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Enders Syed for gay love plot

EastEnders actor Marc Elliott has expressed support for his upcoming controversial gay plot.

Elliott's character, Walford's Muslim property developer Syed Masood, is to become embroiled in an affair of the heart with the BBC soap's only openly gay character Christian Clarke (John Partridge).

Following a shock screen kiss, which will air towards the end of next month, Syed faces a long journey of self-discovery as he struggles to deal with his faith and sexuality.

Speaking to the BBC Asian Network, Elliott said of the plot: "I think EastEnders would be doing the programme a disservice if they didn't give a voice to various communities."

He continued: "I think that's really important because I think London is a very ethnically diverse multicultural place and EastEnders has a job to reflect that in the storylines it gives people and the characters they have on board."

Syed's situation is made more complicated by the return of his screen girlfriend Amira Shah (Preeya Kalidas), who viewers first saw earlier this month. Syed's mother Zainab (Nina Wadia), meanwhile, continues in her quest to find her son the perfect wife.

The soap's executive producer Diederick Santer commented: "This isn't a moral tale of right or wrong; it's very much a human interest story where a young man struggles with the conflict between his faith and his feelings."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (29-05-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by thestud2k7 View Post
    the problem i have with this plot is as follows:
    we haven't seen any gay signs in syed yet

seems odd syed will go to being gay from being stright
    I don't agree with your point cos the character has barely been in the show for five minutes, Janine was practically putting it on a plate and he ignored her. There is Amira but that might just be a cover up from him, its too early to say. He might love Amira but feel attracted to Christian and other men as well. we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Florijo View Post

I don't agree with your point cos the character has barely been in the show for five minutes, Janine was practically putting it on a plate and he ignored her. There is Amira but that might just be a cover up from him, its too early to say. He might love Amira but feel attracted to Christian and other men as well. we don't know.
    very true

Quote Originally Posted by Florijo View Post

also, Syed might not have shown any 'signs' of being gay because doesn't know he's gay himself yet. if he strikes up a friendship with christian it could just grow naturally out of that.
    Last edited by LostVoodoo; 29-05-2009 at 17:02.
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

we always thought that his dad was going to come out been gay because he is very camp
    westlife @ echo 18th march 2011 block 17
    westlife @ men 22nd march 2011 block C

So Christian will finally get some action

I'm sure Zainab will love this

sounds good, looking forward to see how this plays out
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Aw it is always the handsome ones!

Good on EE for developing this storyline.

Maybe he repressed gay feelings, especially because he is a Muslim. He did react a bit funny when Christian was introduced to him.

CURRY is heaped on Walford’s cocky Syed Massood when he shows signs he is gay.

The businessman has been sent on a disastrous blind date with a girl while secretly lusting after a man.

Syed – soon to shock his strict Muslim family after puckering up with the fella – agrees to go on the date after being set up by his mum.

But the lad (Marc Elliott, 24) clashes with pretty Parveen (Farzana Dua Elahe) and she pours her lunch on his head.

It’s the start of a complicated love life for Syed who will struggle with his sexuality after falling for his openly gay neighbour Christian Clarke (John Partridge, 37).

Fans see the pals get intimate and snog passionately.

Before they embark on a secret romance, Syed tries to prove to himself that he is straight by agreeing to go on a string of dates.

Marc has defended the plot, which was heavily criticised.

He said: “London is a very ethnically diverse multicultural place and EastEnders has a job to reflect that in storylines.”

Daily Star

Storyline should be pretty interesting what with it also being suggested Amira finds a best friend in Christian

Thread Information