Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurovision Song Contest 2008

Plus they would of heard of Andy too, right?

Edited title for clarity.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Behemoth For This Useful Post:

Abbie (25-05-2008)

I might watch the eurovision on the bbc iplayer I think. Just the singing mind.
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

I don't know if the Uk pay to enter this competion or not but if they do they should seriously consider withdrawing their funding. Andy Abrahams had a decent song one of the best in years and yet we finish bottom again due to political issues. Andy or other singers representing the UK do not deserve to be treated this way.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (25-05-2008)

I would predict that in future no Western European country will get anywhere near the top because of political voting; I used to enjoy Eurovision before the Eastern European countries were taking place, since then this competition has gone abosulutely bonkers and lovely entries like the UK, Greece, Norway and Germany don't get a chance. Eurovision will become Eastern Eurovision one day.

Wogan 'may quit Eurovision role'

Sir Terry Wogan said he may quit as the BBC's Eurovision commentator, as the UK entry sung by former X Factor finalist Andy Abraham finished in last place.

Sir Terry cast doubt on his role after saying this year's results showed it was "no longer a music contest".

Abraham received 14 points for his song Even If, as Russia won with 272 points.

Sir Terry, who has commentated on the competition since the 1970s, said: "Russia were going to be the political winners from the beginning."

He told viewers: "I think it's tremendously disappointing from the point of view of the United Kingdom.

UK'S EUROVISION RECORD
    2008 - Andy Abraham, 25th place
    2007 - Scooch, 22nd
    2006 - Daz Sampson, 19th
    2005 - Javine, 22nd
    2004 - James Fox, 16th
    2003 - Jemini, 26th

"Andy Abraham gave, I think, the performance of his life with a song that certainly deserved far more points than it got when you look at the points that Spain got, that Bosnia-Hercegovina got - some really ridiculous songs."

Sir Terry said his producer, Kevin Bishop, was stepping down after this year's contest.

"He and I have to decide whether we want to do this again," he said.

"Indeed, western European participants have to decide whether they want to take part from here on in because their prospects are poor."

Sir Terry said Andy Abraham gave "the performance of his life"

Abraham received six points from San Marino - who were taking part for the first time - and eight from Ireland.

Germany and Poland also received 14 points each, but they officially finished above the UK because their top scores in a single round were higher.

Russia received the maximum 12 points from former Soviet states Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Belarus and Armenia, as well as Israel.

But Sir Terry was generous about the Russian song, Believe, performed by Dima Bilan.

"Let's not take it away from him, let's congratulate him," he said.

The UK has only finished in the top 10 once in the last 10 years - but has finished outside the top 20 four times in that period.

While he is still alive, we can't have somebody else doing this, he just cracks me up with his comments It would not be the same without him

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'brien View Post
    I don't know if the Uk pay to enter this competion or not but if they do they should seriously consider withdrawing their funding. Andy Abrahams had a decent song one of the best in years and yet we finish bottom again due to political issues. Andy or other singers representing the UK do not deserve to be treated this way.
    As far as I know, the UK and three other countries provide the funding for Eurovision, so they gain an automatic place. The whole thing is political.

The UK might as well not bothering entering - it's all political and like Terry Wogan said "it's no longer a music contest" so what's the point? Terry should do himself a favour and quit and the UK should not bother entering. It's just a waste of Saturday night TV, when something decent could have been shown, if you ask me.

The Uk enter as they provide funding as well As France, Germany and Spain I think- Western Europe countries
    Wogan send it last last that he may not come back - he kept saying now we have to deceide whether we want to do it again

Quote Originally Posted by DaVeyWaVey View Post
    The UK might as well not bothering entering - it's all political and like Terry Wogan said "it's no longer a music contest" so what's the point? Terry should do himself a favour and quit and the UK should not bother entering. It's just a waste of Saturday night TV, when something decent could have been shown, if you ask me.
    Totally agree. Why are we funding something that we can never theoretically win?
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

Thread Information