Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EE Bosses to defy Smoking Ban

EE Bosses to defy Smoking Ban

EASTENDERS bosses will defy a Government ban and allow their characters to SMOKE on the set.

Lighting up will be banned in any workplace in England from July 1.

That includes Albert Square which, despite being outside, is considered a BBC workplace.

The Queen Vic and the launderette will also be off limits as the ban covers nearly all enclosed public places, including offices, factories, pubs and bars.

But senior show chiefs say they WILL let their characters — including chain-smoker Dot Cotton — light up, despite the fact they can be fined up to £2,500 every time.

One boss said: “We will fight it. We don’t care if police try to come on set — let them try. Yes dont worry the Licence payers will pay the fine

“We have to portray real life — and people smoke.”

TV Biz has already told how Channel 4 reality monster Big Brother is set to be affected by the ban after health chiefs declared the “house” a workplace.

Apart from Dot, EastEnders chiefs want other “punters” to smoke in the Queen Vic.

The ban will also make life difficult for bosses on the BBC1 soap as characters will not even be allowed to smoke in their houses, as they are part of a working set.

The source added: “We are fighting this. We’re having meetings with BBC bosses.”

How typically arrogant of the BBC, Do they really think they are above the law. The smoking ban has been brought in very successfully in Scotland and the Republic of Ireland, it comes into force here on 30th April so what makes the BBC think they are exempt.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post

How typically arrogant of the BBC, Do they really think they are above the law. The smoking ban has been brought in very successfully in Scotland and the Republic of Ireland, it comes into force here on 30th April so what makes the BBC think they are exempt.
    But Alan, the BBC do have a point, people are allowed to smoke in their own homes and to be realist, Dot should be allowed to smoke in her home but due to law June Brown can't cause it is a workplace, Plus the outside scene they should be allow to smoke too but again, it is a work place

Big Brother, ditto, they should be allow smoke in the house, I don't understand how that is a workplace.
    I agree with the ban but as a smoker, it think it is unrealistic for Soaps to show nobody smoking.. even our Irish soap have the cast smoking on outside shoots...
    Super Mod

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Jessie Wallace (05-04-2007), Pinkbanana (07-04-2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post

But Alan, the BBC do have a point, people are allowed to smoke in their own homes and to be realist, Dot should be allowed to smoke in her home but due to law June Brown can't cause it is a workplace, Plus the outside scene they should be allow to smoke too but again, it is a work place

Big Brother, ditto, they should be allow smoke in the house, I don't understand how that is a workplace.
    I agree with the ban but as a smoker, it think it is unrealistic for Soaps to show nobody smoking.. even our Irish soap have the cast smoking on outside shoots...
    Unfortunately for the BBC the law doesnt make and exemption for television studios. What about the rights of the film crews and the other actors. Personally I think they could get away with it in outdoor scenes as I think the ban only applies to enclosed working spaces.
    Like you I have frequented pubs in Ireland and I never believed they could have enforced the smoking ban so well. It has been an overwhelming success and Im sure many people have quit because of it.
    Even heavy smokers have cut back.
    The BBC must follow the law whether they like it or not.

Apart from Dot, EastEnders chiefs want other “punters” to smoke in the Queen Vic.
    ...So they want to show people smoking in the Vic...despite the fact that in real life people wouldn't be allowed to smoke in the pub anymore.

And they want to do this...to portray real life?

EE bosses, your logic is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackKat View Post
    ...So they want to show people smoking in the Vic...despite the fact that in real life people wouldn't be allowed to smoke in the pub anymore.

Realism is not really a strong point in EE thinking.

They would have to enforce the ban in the Vic as that is meant to be a pub which in day to day will not allow smoking, however i think they have a point about outside, it is meant to potray realism and if no one smokes then it will be a bit odd. I cant actually see another way round it for them. I kind of get the big brother house as well, but they should have a place outside if they want to smoke.

Blackkat.. just after ban came in over here, few people did smoke in the pubs and they were told swifly to put it out or go outside.. It might be a good story (as there were a few pubs caught for this) for Peggy to deny the ban and get a huge fine for doing so.. this will stop "real life" pubs from trying
    Super Mod

Blackkat.. just after ban came in over here, few people did smoke in the pubs and they were told swifly to put it out or go outside.. It might be a good story (as there were a few pubs caught for this) for Peggy to deny the ban and get a huge fine for doing so.. this will stop "real life" pubs from trying
    That would be a really good idea, it would be a good way to try and deter from the ban being avoided and not put in practice.

Yes this would make a good storyline. Then again I thought The Mitchells were above the law. So apart from having the Met and The CPS, The Coroners Office, The Inland Revenue all in their pocket the Magnificent Mitchells and their dodgy legal team could bribe Envioronmental Health and the DSS. What a fantastic family,

I am a Trustee of a theatre and we had a meeting recently with the police and local council and other interested parties about the smoking ban. We were told that both ITV and BBC will be featuring stories in Corrie and Eastenders to reinforce the ban, so you never know, this storyline could happen.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

alan45 (07-04-2007), Chloe (13-04-2007)

Thread Information