Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Used Car

Question Buying a Used Car

Need some advice about buying a used car from a dealership.
    Can anyone help me with these questions?

• Am I insured to test drive the car?
    • Am I insured to drive the car home once I've bought it?
    • Will the dealership need to see my licence before they agree to let me test drive or buy the car? I have a pass certificate to say I've passed my test but my licence hasn't arrived yet.

Thanks in advance

You should be insured to test drive the car, but i dont think you can drive the car home once you've brought it. As far as i know, you have to contact your insurers first, because once its in your name, your not insured anymore. And i dont think they ask to see your licence, most of the time. My Mum is buying a new car, and doesn't even know where hers is, but has been test driving cars. So i wouldn't think so..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:

Behemoth (22-03-2007)

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    • Am I insured to test drive the car? Yes, you sometimes need to show your driving licence though when taking the car, depending on the garage, so they can ensure that their insurance will cover you to test drive it
    • Am I insured to drive the car home once I've bought it? No - you must arrange your own insurance before driving the car home. Generally, garages will give you a time to pick up, you then need to speak to your Insurers and ensure that you have insurance cover, otherwise you are driving the car illegally.
    • Will the dealership need to see my licence before they agree to let me test drive or buy the car? I have a pass certificate to say I've passed my test but my licence hasn't arrived yet. No they won't.

Hope that helps you Rob. What car are you looking at getting??
    Last edited by Jojo; 22-03-2007 at 23:28.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:

Behemoth (22-03-2007)

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
    • Am I insured to test drive the car? Yes, you sometimes need to show your driving licence though when taking the car, depending on the garage, so they can ensure that their insurance will cover you to test drive it
    • Am I insured to drive the car home once I've bought it? No - you must arrange your own insurance before driving the car home. Generally, garages will give you a time to pick up, you then need to speak to your Insurers and ensure that you have insurance cover, otherwise you are driving the car illegally.
    • Will the dealership need to see my licence before they agree to let me test drive or buy the car? I have a pass certificate to say I've passed my test but my licence hasn't arrived yet. No they won't.

Hope that helps you Rob. What car are you looking at getting??
    Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    You should be insured to test drive the car, but i dont think you can drive the car home once you've brought it. As far as i know, you have to contact your insurers first, because once its in your name, your not insured anymore. And i dont think they ask to see your licence, most of the time. My Mum is buying a new car, and doesn't even know where hers is, but has been test driving cars. So i wouldn't think so..
    Thanks for your help!

I'm looking to buy a Corsa and I've seen a great one which is just right for me but it's in Liverpool, which is an hours drive from where I am so I didn't want to get their and find out I can't test drive it!

This is probably a stupid question but will I need to sign up with an insurer first and work out the cheapest deal before I buy the car? Or should I buy a car and then worry about doing the insurance?

Go online and get some quotes for the Insurance.

As for the bit about the Licence. Read it very carefully as it says somewhere on it that you can use it as a full licence provided you have your provisional and the pass certificate. But some insurance companies demand to see full licence before granting insurance. It happened at work where one of the young staff just passed his test but we couldnt get him onto the company insurance until he got his full licence back.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Thanks for your help!

I'm looking to buy a Corsa and I've seen a great one which is just right for me but it's in Liverpool, which is an hours drive from where I am so I didn't want to get their and find out I can't test drive it!

This is probably a stupid question but will I need to sign up with an insurer first and work out the cheapest deal before I buy the car? Or should I buy a car and then worry about doing the insurance?
    I would definitely look online for some quotes like Alan suggested - you could find that theres a car that looks perfect (Corsas are pretty good on insurance, a quite low group as long as you get a sensible engine size) and then the insurance premium is huge. So definitely check that out first. Do a bit of research. What Car also gives you great hints on problems to look for in a car too, so I would definitely look there aswell. Plus they also have suggestions should you be unable to find that suitable car for ones that are similar and also let you know the sort of money that you would be looking at paying for one, dependant on mileage and condition of the car.

I would give the garage a ring, as them about test driving and explain the situation. They can then tell you their policy on whether they require sight of your full licence, or are happy with either your word, or sight of your provisional and pass certificate. But if you are looking at travelling an hour for it, I would definitely ring and check with them first.

Good luck and hope you find the car you want Rob (and well done on passing again - FREEDOM!!!! )

yeah well done on passing, try the auto trader website as they give quotes for a simular used car to try and work out how much you would need to spend. thats what my cousin did.

Thanks for all the advice! I went there today and it turns out the car I wanted was sold this morning. Typical!

Oh no Rob!!! But Corsas are pretty common - keep on looking, I'm sure one will come up for you.

they are fab cars to have rob, i got one just before i passed my test and it is the only car i have ever had, and it is really cheap on insurance!!!! well done on passing!!!!
    there are loads on the auto trader site

Thread Information