Thread: Colin Russell (Lord Michael Cashman)

Exclamation Colin Russell (Lord Michael Cashman)

Here's an EastEnders blast from the past we certainly didn't see coming - Lord Michael Cashman will be returning to the show as Colin Russell.

Colin, who was the BBC soap's first ever gay character, was last seen in Walford way back in February 1989. That means a huge gap of 27 years since his last appearance.

Lord Michael Cashman as Colin Russell in EastEnders
    © BBC
    Lord Michael will be reprising his role for two episodes and sharing scenes with EastEnders legend June Brown, who plays Dot Branning.

Exact storyline details are being kept under wraps for now, but Colin's surprise return will raise a big question for Dot. We're intrigued!

Speaking of his EastEnders comeback, Lord Michael explained: "It was a real joy, indeed a privilege, to return to my old home of Albert Square. To be amongst so many friends again, and to be back in the place where 30 years ago I started an amazing journey.

"An amazing journey which incredibly helped to change the country, and certainly its attitude to lesbian gay and bisexual people."

Colin joined EastEnders in 1986 and is best remembered for his on-screen relationship with Barry Clark.

The pair shared the first ever gay kiss on a British soap opera in 1987 and their romance was credited with helping to change perceptions of gay relationships at the time.

It wasn't all plain sailing for the two characters on screen, though. This classic clip shows the moment that Barry told Dot about his relationship with Colin, sending her into a frenzy as she had a very extreme reaction to the news.

Dot's certainly mellowed a bit since then...

After leaving EastEnders, Cashman co-founded the LGBT rights charity Stonewall in 1989 and later served as a Labour politician. He was appointed to the House of Lords in 2014.

Paying tribute to EastEnders today, he added: "Arguably without EastEnders I would never have gone into politics, I would not have been one of the founders of Stonewall and its founding chair, and I would never have ended up where I am now.

"As Shakespeare would have said, by returning to where it all started, 'the wheel has turned full circle'. And the exquisite joy of having my scenes with the incredible 'Dame' June Brown was a bonus beyond anything else."

Colin's return episodes will air next month.

Digital Spy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (25-08-2016), parkerman (08-09-2016)

Intriguing! Colin and Dot's scenes should be worth watching.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (25-08-2016)

Here's a first look at EastEnders returnee Colin Russell as he turns up in Walford for the first time in 27 years.

Last month, we revealed that Colin - who is played by the renowned Lord Michael Cashman - would be making a Walford comeback. He was last seen on screen way back in February 1989 and was the soap's first ever gay character.

These brand new spoiler pictures show Colin turning up at Dot's house, but he isn't just popping in to catch up with an old friend - as there is a far more mysterious reason for his visit.

Colin Russell arrives back in Walford in EastEnders tonight
    © BBC
    Dot will certainly be surprised to see Colin after all these years, but his arrival will soon raise a big question for her. What does he want? And what will she do?

Lord Cashman has reprised his role for two episodes, making his debut tonight and also appearing tomorrow.

Digital Spy

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (08-09-2016), parkerman (08-09-2016)

did he invite dot to his wedding, to a dude i presume, is she prejudice and she wont go

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

kaz21 (09-09-2016)

I think its not so much he's gay, more that she's against him getting married, rather than a civil partnership.

Thread Information