Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Hunter (Alex Carter)

Hollyoaks' series producer Paul Marquess has revealed details about the opening plot for returnee Alex Carter.

The 27-year-old actor recently decided to reprise his role as Lee Hunter after a four-year stint on Emmerdale.

Marquess told TV Times: "We've storylined his first few weeks [when he comes back in the summer] and it's very funny.

"Lee's going to mature as a mature student on a drama course."

Last week, Marquess said that he wants the Channel 4 serial to lighten up after admitting it had become "too dark".

Alex Carter has returned to Hollyoaks following a four-year stint on ITV soap Emmerdale, and next week fans will see his character Lee Hunter's comeback scenes in online spinoff Hollyoaks: Freshers. Following an apparent stint on a cruise ship as a Gareth Gates impersonator, Lee is spending the summer with new girlfriend Leanne - and it soon becomes clear that their relationship is a fiery one. Ahead of their move over to the main show later this year, Freshers re-establishes the character of Lee and gives fans their first glimpse of newcomers Leanne, Jamil and Doug. DS recently chatted with Alex to find out more.

How did the return to Hollyoaks come about?
    "Well, initially I was speaking to Lucy Allan, who was the producer at the time and who I knew anyway from when I used to work there. We were talking about me coming back. She left and then Paul Marquess took over - I didn't even speak to Paul, but I was offered a contract and I took it. It wasn't the most traditional of returns, but it worked!"

What was the main appeal of returning to the show?
    "I just wanted to get back on form, I suppose. I felt like the last 18 months of my time at Emmerdale had been really quiet. When you're performing, you want to feel confident in what you're doing, and in the last 18 months there I hadn't really been too sure. Hollyoaks just seemed like the right thing to do, really - get me back, get me busy, get me working and doing what I want to do."

How soon did you learn that your comeback scenes would air in the online spinoff?
    "I can't even remember! But it was all a bit last minute because I was meant to be on holiday, and then I got a call asking me to come in and do it. I didn't even get told what it was about at first! But then they started to tell me what it was, and I thought it sounded like a really good opportunity to come back and get into the swing of things with the character. It seemed like a really good idea."

How would you describe Hollyoaks: Freshers - is it quite different to the main show, or similar?
    "It isn't radically different, but the style of it is different - it's more aimed at the internet generation, and that's what it's for really, as the series is airing online. I haven't been able to see the finished product yet, but from what I have seen, it seems cool and you can tell it's aimed at the internet market, as well as trying to bed in the new characters."

Where has Lee been since we last saw him?
    "In Yorkshire! (Laughs) I actually don't know myself. But there's some hints of what might have happened while he was away - apparently I might have been working on a cruise ship as a Gareth Gates impersonator! I must have offended somebody on the writing team for them to come up with that! So yeah, there are little hints like that. But Hollyoaks: Freshers doesn't really focus on the past - it's more about reintroducing the character."

What's Lee's first scene like?
    "I can't even remember what my first scene was - we filmed it about two months ago! Actually, I think you see me going to a music festival, if I remember correctly. And it establishes the relationship between Lee and his possible fiancée, Leanne…"

What kind of role does Lee play in the spinoff - we know that he's in a relationship with Leanne, but does he have much to do with the other two new students?
    "No, the students are doing all the cool stuff, and then there's me and Leanne just bickering and arguing! (Laughs) It's good though, we provide the romantic element of the show - but without the romance, which is quite nice!"

What's the relationship like between them?
    "It's good - Lee thinks he wears the trousers, but she's got them - it's one of those! It's great. And Jess, who plays her, has been great fun to work with. I started working with her straight away, and it's been a breeze, really. We have a good laugh and hopefully that comes across on screen as well."

Has Lee changed much since we last saw him?
    "Yeah, it's great really, because as he's got older he's become more confident and more arrogant - which makes him more of an idiot! That's great fun to play. So that's probably the biggest difference - the older he gets, the more idiotic he becomes!"

How easy was it to step back into your old role after so long away?
    "It was surprisingly easy - I couldn't believe it. I actually didn't really think about it. A couple of people asked me whether I was nervous about going back, and I said no - and that's because of the scripts. Some of the scripts that I've got are some of the best that I've ever seen, regardless of what show they've been on. They're just absolutely brilliant. So as long as you've got good scripts, you can't go wrong. Well, fingers crossed you can't go wrong!"

You've returned to Hollyoaks at the time of a big revamp for the show, and fans are watching the changes very closely. Didn't that put you under any pressure?
    "No, it didn't cause pressure really - I think I'd feel under more pressure if it was at the top and doing really well. But when the show is on its way up, it's a great time to join it, isn't it?"

What's the atmosphere like on set at the moment?
    "People who are working on the show are definitely excited about the revamp, and the crew are enjoying it too. It's great, really - there's a nice wave of optimism around the place. Whenever I hear people talking about soaps, they're always talking about how great it is and how happy everyone is - and it's not always like that! But it is in this situation. There are obviously a lot of people leaving and they're in a different mindset. But there are so many new people that are happy to be working and so pleased to be part of the show. It's quite impressive."

Did you offer any guidance or advice to the three newcomers who are playing the students?
    "No, they don't want to ask me - I don't know what I'm on about! It actually isn't that kind of environment and that's the great thing about working on set. Everyone is equal, regardless of how long or short they've been doing the job. As long as you're on time and you're not hungover, you're alright!"

When we see you back in the main show, is there much reference to what's taken place in Hollyoaks: Freshers?
    "There's not so much reference to the storylines that have happened in Freshers, but that's very much the beginning of the character's journey. If you see Freshers, you get more of an insight into the relationship between Lee and Leanne. Nothing too dramatic happens to Lee in the show - although one thing does happen between him and Leanne, and that is referred to from day one."

Now that you're filming the main show again, who have you mainly been working with and sharing your scenes with?
    "Well, I return as a student - so it's mainly been student-based fun! But I've also been interacting with the old cast members, who I worked with in the past. I've had a bit with Carley, who plays Steph, and also with Ashley Taylor Dawson, who plays Darren, so it's been great - I love working with them."

Have you made friends with many of the new cast members?
    "Yeah - as there's so many people all starting at the same time, there's a real buzz and everyone's been quite sociable. It's really nice. The other night, a few of us went to Helen's flat and she cooked for us. Helen plays Jem on the show and we've got quite a lot of scenes together. Also, at the moment I'm staying with Emmett Scanlan, who plays Brendan. There's a real social aspect, and obviously we like to party on the weekends. But during the week we like to knock about together too, and it's lovely. Everyone's talking about each other's stories as well, which is great - I've never really experienced that before."

Did you watch Hollyoaks much while you were away?
    "Not really, to be honest with you. I think it would have been a bit too weird. It's a bit like someone sleeping with your ex-girlfriend - you know it goes on, but you don't want to watch it! But I caught bits and bobs, and obviously I still had friends on the show, so I'd keep an eye out but I didn't watch it too much."

Have you had many discussions with Paul Marquess about what's ahead for Lee?
    "He's only told me bits and bobs. I don't mind that, though - as long as I'm fairly busy, I don't mind just riding it. I'm just happy to be working and you've just got to trust other people who are doing their jobs, like hopefully they trust me. It's cool. I've never been one of those people who runs up and asks what's going on. You've got to give your full focus to what you're doing at the present."

Would you like to see Gemma Atkinson return to the show as Lee's sister Lisa?
    "Yeah! I don't know if she will and I haven't spoken to her for a long time - I went to her birthday a couple of years ago and I've not spoken to her since. But yeah, why not? Get them all back! It'd be good to see Lisa, wouldn't it?"

Gemma did say earlier in the year that she'd be interested in coming back…
    "Oh, did she say that? Crikey! I'll have to send her a supportive text, then!"

Paul has said that Lee "won't just have light stories" - is that something you're quite pleased about?
    "Has he? To be honest I hadn't heard that, but I'd be happy with anything. I just love the character and I feel quite comfortable doing anything with him, really. I just love acting - I love it all. Anything that's coming up, just bring it on!"

After not being used much in your last 18 months at Emmerdale, has Hollyoaks been quite refreshing in comparison?
    "Yeah - it's been like going from one extreme to the other, really. Towards the end on Emmerdale, I was so quiet - frustratingly quiet. It was genuinely frustrating, so to come here where I'm so busy, it makes you feel wanted and also makes you more confident."

Is your time on Emmerdale something that you still look back on fondly, though?
    "Yeah - looking back at Emmerdale, I had such a great time and with so many great people. But you've just got to keep moving and keep doing things to keep yourself busy, learning and doing different things. Just because I've come back to Hollyoaks doesn't mean I'm going to stop learning and doing new things. It's quite sad when I look back at Emmerdale, because I do miss everyone there."

Are you still in touch with any of the cast?
    "Yeah, I've popped in a couple of times since I've left, because I still live in Leeds. So I still see everyone. I've got loads of mates in the crew who I still see regularly, and I still keep in touch with Tony, who plays my dad Bob, as well as Duncan Preston, who plays Doug. He's not a nice person, but he responds to my texts! (Laughs) That's a joke, by the way!"

Alex Fletcher (Diane O'Connor, 'Hollyoaks') DS Interview

Hollyoaks' third new family make their screen debut next week as part of the Channel 4 soap's ongoing rejuvenation with new producer Paul Marquess at the helm. The O'Connors are a four-member Liverpudlian clan consisting of stepmother-of-two Diane, her husband Rob and his children Sinead and Finn. Shortly after the family's arrival in the village, it becomes clear that Diane is desperate for a child of her own and is undergoing IVF treatment. How far will she go to achieve her dream of getting pregnant? Former Brookside actress Alex Fletcher, who plays Diane, recently chatted to DS and told us more.

How did the part in Hollyoaks come about?
    "Well, I decided that I wanted to get back into acting and got myself a new agent to try to get my profile back out there again. So I did MasterChef, which - even though it's a reality show - is really credible and you're actually doing something positive. That gave me some fire in my belly again and made me think that I wanted to do more. My agent was saying, 'We just need to get you a telly job', and then I found out that Paul Marquess was at Lime Pictures. He's my old boss from when I was on Brookside, so I was like, 'Right - you need to bombard him with pictures and let him know I'm out there!' I think my agent stalked him for a bit! (Laughs) We got the message over that I was back and wanting to work."

What happened next?
    "I got a phone call saying that they wanted me to come in and read for a part in the new family. I honestly didn't get sent a script or anything and I didn't know what it was for - whether it was the new mum, or a sister role, a cameo role - I had no idea! When I came into Lime, they were casting quite a lot of people and I was up against some really strong actresses, so my heart sunk a little bit! I had to sing for my supper but in the end, I felt that I'd achieved something even better because I wasn't given it on a plate. I read for the part on a Friday and they told me that I had the role by Friday teatime."

How are you settling in so far?
    "I've been here now since the middle of June and I've been thrown back into it. I haven't had light-hearted storylines, they've given me massive storylines - I've got two big ones. But it's just been like coming home. I've come back to Lime Pictures which used to be Mersey Television, where we filmed Brookie, so it's all the old crew. And ultimately I've got a job - I'm delighted to be working and to have a script again. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and I'm just going to run with it, hopefully for a long time."

When you auditioned, how did Paul describe Diane and the O'Connors?
    "He actually didn't give much away because when you're auditioning, it's confidential stuff. He kind of gave me a free reign in the audition - the script was just a scene between Diane and her husband about the IVF storyline. So obviously I knew she was desperate for a child. That's all Paul really said. But I just wanted the family to come in and be likeable - a family who you can just warm to and care about. When we went on to film our first episode, I wanted to get that across. They're a normal, down-to-earth family - but the drama kicks in after that! There's loads of ups and downs, lots of tears, lots of laughs. There's so much scope and it's exciting. I don't know where it's going to go!"

What brings the O'Connors to the village?
    "Rob gets a job at the school as the deputy head, so obviously he's had a lot of stuff with the other characters and I haven't really had the chance to do that yet, because all my stuff's been at the house. We've got a fabulous house by the way, you should see the set they've built for us!"

What's the relationship between Diane and Rob like?
    "They have a very close relationship. I don't think Rob is that keen on having any more kids, because he's already got his two children - but he's going ahead with the IVF for her. I think that Diane pretty much stepped in and saved his life when it came to his children, and he'll do anything for her. But with Hollyoaks, you're seeing it through the eyes of the kids, so I've had a lot of scenes with the kids and we haven't really explored things between Diane and Rob too much yet. We've had some nice scenes and there's loads more scope for them, but we've not really discovered any of it yet. But it's a very tight-knit family and they back each other up 100%."

Do you think the IVF storyline will run for quite a while?
    "I imagine so, it's the soap world so I don't think it's going to be one of those things that just fizzles out! I think it's going to be an ongoing thing for the family. But the nice thing is that you're seeing it through the eyes of the kids. It's not just all about how the mum and dad deal with it, it's also how the kids deal with it and the pressures that it brings. With IVF treatment, generally you get two tries free of charge through the NHS and then after that, you're on your own and you're expected to pay. It's a costly thing and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It causes all kinds of pressures, and there's the hormones and a moody mum! This storyline is great because there's just loads of avenues that they could take it down."

And we've heard that Diane's need for a baby will spiral out of control as the story continues.
    "Yes, it does a little bit! I can't talk about that too much. But she is desperate - she really, really wants a baby of her own. That will unfold…"

What do you think of the current state of Hollyoaks?
    "Everyone's storylines seem to have turned up a gear. I'm looking at the likes of the Costello family, who are doing the whole gender identity storyline. Who else has covered something like that? It's just nice to be part of something that's so exciting and new. There's a really good buzz about the place."

Did you have any reservations about working on a soap again?
    "None at all! After being out of work for quite a while, I looked at it as a job - and on a practical side, one that's on my doorstep so I didn't have to relocate. I also have complete faith in Paul - I think Hollyoaks will become more than just a soap. He's the producer who did the live episode of The Bill. It's a really, really exciting time at Hollyoaks, so it's onwards and upwards!"

Alex Fletcher on 'Brookside', 'Oaks and more

Hollyoaks has announced some exciting new signings in recent months, but if I had to name one in particular that I was particularly pleased about, it would definitely be Alex Fletcher.

Alex was a legend as Brookside's Jacqui Dixon and, after she's been away from our screens for so long, it's fantastic to see her in a new, high-profile role - especially in another soap!

When you look back on Brookside, is it something that you're proud you were part of?
    "Yeah, I grew up on that show - I was there from when I was 12 until I was 26. It was a massive part of my life, so when it finished, I was a bit shellshocked. I went on to do a couple of good jobs afterwards - including a spinoff of The Bill, which was another Paul Marquess thing. I've laid low for a while, but ultimately I've got a family and I want to work. I'd just love for people to say, 'Oh yeah, we remember her!' and hopefully I'll get a good welcome back."

Well, quite a few members of our forum have been saying how they're looking forward to seeing you on screen again…
    "Have they?! I'm too scared to read things online! You read some things and you think, 'Oh, God!' because it's usually a 'Where is she now?' kind of thing. But that's really nice to hear - I didn't know anyone had said that. You're always going to get mixed reactions, so you've got to learn to embrace the good ones and ignore the ones that are negative."

Are you still in touch with any of the Brookside cast?
    "Yes! I'm still in touch with Tiff Chapman, who played Rachel, and Diane Burke, who played Katie, Paul Byatt, who played my brother Mike - loads! Also Vince Earl, who played my dad. I don't think you could ever lose touch because we worked together for a long time. Obviously we don't see as much of each other, but we still send texts and Christmas cards and just see if everyone's okay. It's mostly the girls that I speak to."

Some Brookside fans have even been campaigning for classic episodes of the show to be released on DVD - do you think that's a good idea?
    "I hadn't heard that, but Brookside is something I'm so proud of, so I'd never say never to anything to do with it. I just think it was a bit legendary, to be honest. There was a great headline that I'll never forget, which said 'Brookside bows out' - and I think it did. Yes, it took a dip in its ratings, but all the soaps do that. I don't know what happened with the channel, but unfortunately it just wasn't meant to be and it finished. I think people were always fond of Brookie. You always had the few who said it was never a true representation of Liverpool, but on the whole it was something that the city was proud of and it kept a lot of people in a job."

And how does Diane compare to Jacqui Dixon?
    "Well, she hasn't got a perm or a shellsuit, which is a bonus! (Laughs) I think she hasn't got so much of a sting in her tail. She's brought up two children who aren't biologically hers, so she's a good person. Her career is important to her, but not as much as it was for Jacqui Dixon - Jacqui wanted everything, didn't she? But Diane is a lot more sensitive and grown-up. She is a little bit over the top with the whole baby thing, but she's hopefully quite likeable. I really want people to like her and be able to relate to her."

What does Diane do for a living?
    "She's in marketing and she's training to work for the local council. So she's got confidence and not unsure of herself in any way!"

It sounds like she has a great relationship with her stepchildren.
    "She does, and I wanted that. I didn't want her to be the wicked stepmother. There are some scenes where it might be erring towards the side of her being cheesed off with the kids, but it's not really been written that way for the most part and I'm pleased about that. There's loads of good step-parents out there and it's a lot more common now - unfortunately, a lot more marriages do break down."

Did you feel under any pressure about Diane and the O'Connors being a big part of the Hollyoaks revamp?
    "Obviously there is some pressure and I feel a massive responsibility because I want Hollyoaks to be good, and I want the ratings to stay where they're at because the show is doing really well again. I want to hopefully be part of something where people are asking, 'Did you see it?' and people are talking about it again. There is pressure but I can only do my best, but I do get that vibe that we are doing a good job and hopefully it'll come across that way."

Have you had much input into the character of Diane?
    "Well, in terms of storylines, they plan a year ahead - but I think what happens is, once the writers see you on screen, they start picking up on stuff and take things down different avenues. You can't really go up and say, 'Well, I think this…' because you've just got to let people do their jobs! But they have let us run with some stuff in the way that we play the scenes, and that's what the director is there for. But so far, so good - I haven't had to put much input in other than just doing it!"

Are you pleased that Hollyoaks will now have a Liverpudlian family?
    "Yeah - I am! I'm a proud Scouser and I think that it's great, especially considering it's filmed in Liverpool. I know they've had a couple of Scouse characters in the past, though. But I'm delighted - especially as there's a lot of talent in the city and it's opened up doors for other actors and actresses as well, not just us - they could possibly make our family a bit bigger, and I'm sure that the biological mother is going to rear her head at some point!"

Have you bonded well with your screen stepdaughter Steph Davis?
    "Yeah, she's like my little mate and I feel quite protective over her - I think that's the maternal instinct in me! She's like a breath of fresh air, to be honest - and she's so talented. We did a photoshoot recently and she just got on the piano and performed a few of her own tunes that she's written. She's brilliant and we have a laugh, which is the important thing. I think that's coming across on screen as well - the editors have noticed that we've got something going on, so it's all good!"

You mentioned MasterChef earlier - was it quite nerve-wracking being on the show?
    "It was terrifying! It was a bit like an out-of-body experience and I was wondering whether I was really there doing it! But it was one of the best things that I've done. I liked it because it was credible, and I was a fan of the show anyway. It was terrifying but brilliant!"

Have you cooked for any of your Hollyoaks colleagues yet?
    "No! Actually, I tell a lie, Steph came round to my house recently and I cooked her a pizza! But that was bought in! We had a pizza night as a treat and my daughter Yasmin was completely starstruck by Steph, because she watched her on Over The Rainbow and actually voted for her. So it was nice that they got to meet. We've been working really hard, but it makes it so much nicer and easier if you get on with the people you work with, and we've just been very lucky that we've all gelled. We've had a laugh and it's been really good."
    Last edited by Perdita; 24-08-2010 at 01:02.

This thread is about Alex Carter's return and his character Lee Hunter

I know, a mod must have moved it, I had the interview as separate thread

Last edited by alan45; 24-08-2010 at 19:31.

My post was the DS interview with Alex FLETCHER, not Alex Carter, different people but both actors from HO
    Last edited by Perdita; 24-08-2010 at 18:37.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

alan45 (24-08-2010)

CHEEKY chap Lee Hunter is back with a sexy new girlfriend.

The lovable lad returns to the village after five years away working as a Gareth Gates impersonator on cruise ships around the world.

But with a demanding girlfriend in Leanne and his desire to still be one of the lads, he’ll need all his old charm to make sure things run smoothly.

A Hollyoaks insider told us: “You don’t really get too many couples setting up a cosy love nest in the students’ halls of residence.

“And a few of the boys they will be sharing with won’t make things easy for the two of them.

“Leanne is a real sweetie and the pair make a great couple.

“But with it being the start of the new term there are bound to be a lot of parties going on and Lee knows he must stay out of trouble. So when he bumps into old friend Darren Osborne and the lads end up staying out all night he finds he has some real explaining to do.

“Especially when Leanne realises Darren is not Lee’s only old friend who is living nearby...

“It’s going to be a very turbulent freshers’ week for all concerned.”

Catch Lee’s sensational return on Friday.

Hollyoaks returnee Alex Carter has revealed that he dreams of one day appearing in EastEnders.

The actor signed up for a comeback as Lee Hunter on Channel 4's teen show in March after four years playing Emmerdale's Jamie Hope.

Carter also had a walk-on part in Coronation Street in the early days of his career, making EastEnders the only one of the 'big four' soaps he has yet to appear in.

Speaking to Inside Soap, the 28-year-old admitted: "I'd really like to appear in EastEnders to get the full set. I was in Coronation Street years ago, but only had two lines. I'd love to rock up in Albert Square and play one of those whispering gangsters!"

Discussing his Hollyoaks return, he said: "I felt comfortable as soon as I got here, and I think I'm enjoying it even more the second time round.

"When I left and joined Emmerdale, I thought I'd stay there for a few years and get stuck into it - but sadly, things didn't turn out that way. I think I prefer playing Lee to Jamie - I get to speak more than two lines an episode!"

Lee returns to Hollyoaks as a student and will be part of next week's dramatic Freshers' Week episodes.

Thread Information