Thread: Offensive shopping list in Marlon's kitchen

Exclamation Offensive shopping list in Marlon's kitchen

A media watchdog has branded Emmerdale inappropriate after showing an offensive shopping list on an episode of the ITV soap.
    The crude list on the blackboard, which featured items including 'piles cream' and 'jam rags', a slang term for sanitary towels, shocked viewers when it was shown on Friday night's show.
    The two items are clearly visible on screen, written after 'Apples, rice, salad, eggs, biscuits' as a drunk Shadrach Dingle staggers through nephew Marlon's kitchen.

And now Mediawatch, an independent campaign for family values in the media, have come forward to slam the soap over its decision to show the board.
    Vivienne Pattison, director of Mediawatch, said: 'Clearly whoever wrote that knew exactly what they were doing, and they certainly didn't need to.
    'It's not a particularly helpful phrase to refer to sanitary towels as "jam rags" , and it is unnecessary.
    'It didn't need to be there at all.'

Viewers have also criticised ITV for allowing the soap to show the shopping list in the show which is aired before the watershed at 7pm.

Sharon Kennedy, 26, from Kingstanding, Birmingham, said: 'I couldn't believe my eyes when it appeared on screen - it's not the kind of language you expect to appear in one of our oldest soaps.
    'I had to cover my young son's eyes because I didn't want to have to explain that kind of crass language to him at such a young age.

'Maybe it was some kind of prank played on the cast by members of the production staff. If that was the case, I didn't find if particularly funny.'

Mother-of-two Jean Walker, 38, from Lichfield, Staffs, added: 'I was stunned when my son, who is only seven, turned around and asked me what a jam rag was.
    'It's not the kind of thing you want your kids seeing, so it was disappointing to see it on a programme like Emmerdale just after dinner.

'You hear phrases like that used in the street or in the pub sometimes, but to use it in front of millions as part of a TV soap is a pretty silly thing to

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz0unCjVs63

Guess you better be careful if you have a shopping list in your kitchen with words on it that visitors to your home might find offensive

Some people really need to get a life !

Personally I dont get the fuss, its a crude way to describe perfectly innocent and non dirty items but hardly offensive. If you can't get out of explaining Jam Rags you dont have much imagination IMHO. Or of course say its a crude way to say <insert brand of jam rag here>; I'm sure the kids have seen the adverts for them before, explain them the same way you explain those or shockingly just be honest.
    Last edited by Fizix; 26-07-2010 at 14:42.

Emmerdale has apologised after receiving complaints from viewers who noticed offensive words on a shopping list.

In a statement to DS, a spokeswoman said: "A shopping list featured in the background of a scene on Friday’s episode of Emmerdale which included colloquial terms that some viewers considered inappropriate."

The Daily Mail reports that among the items shown were 'piles cream' and 'jam rags', a slang term for sanitary towels.

The soap confirmed that it is investigating the incident, telling DS: "We are looking into the matter and we apologise to any viewers if they were offended."

Mediawatch, an independent campaign for family values in the media, blasted the "unnecessary" words.

"Clearly whoever wrote that knew exactly what they were doing, and they certainly didn't need to," director Vivienne Pattinson said.

'It's not a particularly helpful phrase to refer to sanitary towels as jam rags, and it is unnecessary. It didn't need to be there at all."

Viewer Jean Walker complained: "I was stunned when my son, who is only 7, turned around and asked me what a jam rag was.

"It's not the kind of thing you want your kids seeing, so it was disappointing to see it on a programme like Emmerdale just after dinner. You hear phrases like that used in the street or in the pub sometimes, but to use it in front of millions as part of a TV soap is a pretty silly thing to do."

Meanwhile, viewer Sharon Kennedy suggested that the list may have been "some kind of prank" played by production staff.

"If that was the case, I didn't find if particularly funny," she said. "I couldn't believe my eyes when it appeared on screen - it's not the kind of language you expect to appear in one of our oldest soaps.

"I had to cover my young son's eyes because I didn't want to have to explain that kind of crass language to him at such a young age."

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post

"I had to cover my young son's eyes because I didn't want to have to explain that kind of crass language to him at such a young age."
    How would a young son be able to understand and if he did ask what is "jam rags", you could say.. I think it is typo and ment jam rings that biscuits.. Pile cream is easy.. for spots on your bum..
    Super Mod

?

i don't see what all the fuss is about. i didn't even know what jam rags was nor did i notice it on the bored. the fact that the mother didn't know what to say to the child is stupid why didn't she just make up a lie to what the word was. and covering the childs eyes!! why are were people not focusing on marlon and shadrach why are they watching EVERYTHING

I was watching Marlon and Shadrach, and didn't notice the contents of the list myself.

Thread Information