Thread: Ninth bank holiday from 2012

Ninth bank holiday from 2012

Britain is to get a new bank holiday - our NINTH official day off.

It is set to happen every October from 2012.

Our current eight bank holidays a year compares with an EU average of 10.9. The last new one, May Day, was introduced 31 years ago in 1978. Talks are already under way on the naming of the new holiday. Suggestions include Trafalgar Day to commemorate Nelson's naval victory on October 21, 1805, and Olympic Day in honour of the London Games and Diamond Day to mark the Queen's 60th anniversary on the throne. Others want a Community Day with neighbourhood parties, sports events and people volunteering for good causes.

Campaigner Dame Elisabeth Hoodless said: "Eleven million people tell researchers they would volunteer if asked. A Community Day would attract even more to help others."

But one critic told a website for HR managers: "Let's have holidays when we've got a chance of good weather... or if we really want a holida y to break the long stretch from August to Christmas, why not mark Remembrance Day rather than some nebulous PC 'Community Day'?" Others want St George's Day, April 23, to become a holiday.

http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_head...name_page.html

TBH, public holidays are not what they used to be.

People who work in shops, leisure, hospitality, police, fire service, hospitals etc do not get them. Other are given floating days that are effectively added to their annual leave entitlement.

I would say that the majority of people actually work on 'public holidays'

(I don't, but hubby does, mother and father did, brother does, sister in law does etc etc not everyone works for the council or the government).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinity For This Useful Post:

Siobhan (04-11-2009)

well we get more bank hols at work at christmas we get fri, sat,mon,tues and then whit we get mon and tues! dont know why
    westlife @ echo 18th march 2011 block 17
    westlife @ men 22nd march 2011 block C

Because Boxing Day falls on a Saturday this year, the official Bank Holiday is on Monday, 28th December. Don't know about the other days.

We have enough back holidays a year as it is. Not many people get the bank holidays off so why introduce another one.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

I work every 2nd BH as the creche is closed so either myself or OH has to be off to take care of the kids...
    Super Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    TBH, public holidays are not what they used to be.

People who work in shops, leisure, hospitality, police, fire service, hospitals etc do not get them. Other are given floating days that are effectively added to their annual leave entitlement.

I would say that the majority of people actually work on 'public holidays'

(I don't, but hubby does, mother and father did, brother does, sister in law does etc etc not everyone works for the council or the government).
    council workers get double time and a day in lieu
    westlife @ echo 18th march 2011 block 17
    westlife @ men 22nd march 2011 block C

I like bank hoildays but then I never do anything good on them

Thread Information