Housemates were treated to some classic Eugene story telling tonight and responded with a tribute of stifled yawns and knowing looks.

"A marginally amusing story, probably not very," started Eugene, as Craig got comfortable on the sofa, closed his eyes and yawned.

"Me and some of my car friends, they wanted to go and buy this Daimler which had a flagpole coming out of it."

Anthony began to glaze over at this point. His eyelids became very, very heavy.

"It was owned by some diplomat and was from Hatfield. Anyway, we were driving along, probably around the M11 turn off and were listening to this pirate radio station telling people to ring in. So we thought, oh, we'll have a good laugh with this.

"So we rang in and said, 'this is one for the Flagpole Massive, going to Hatfield in a Subaru.' And we thought, 'Ha, ha, ha.' And they read it out!"

Anthony managed to rouse himself to utter an "Uh".

"Yeah, we thought, they were talking kind of like innit kind of talk so we thought we'll make up a name they would believe would be genuine. I said the Flagpole Massive... and they believed it! Aaaah!" said Eugene, rocking back in his chair in delight.

"Aye," said Anthony, perhaps wishing death would take him early.

"I also mentioned a rather unglamorous place, namely Hatfield, though it's got probably a shopping centre you'd like. It's got one of those designer outlet places that you drive under on the A1..."

You get the idea.