DS article:

Neighbours star Stefan Dennis triumphs in Inside Soap Awards 2022
"What an incredible way to end the 37-year life of Paul Robinson."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...e-soap-awards/

Neighbours star Stefan Dennis has won a prize at the Inside Soap Awards 2022, Digital Spy can exclusively reveal.

The actor, who played original character Paul Robinson from 1985, has topped the vote for the Best Daytime Star prize.

Earlier this month, it was revealed that Stefan had made it to the top four in the category alongside his Neighbours co-star Ben Turland (Hendrix Greyson), Home and Away actress Emily Symons (Marilyn Chambers) and Doctors actress Sarah Moyle (Valerie Pitman).

Accepting the award, Stefan commented: "What an incredible way to end the 37-year life of Paul Robinson. Thank you very, very much everybody who voted for me for this.

"I'd also like to thank [Neighbours' production company] Fremantle obviously, and Channel 5 who did fight desperately to keep this show alive.

"Thank you to all the producers and the wonderful cast and crew that I managed to work intimately with over the last 37-odd years. Without you, Neighbours just would not be, so thank you guys."

Stefan went on to acknowledge the passionate fan campaign to save Neighbours, which began when Channel 5 announced its decision to pull funding for the show in February.

Although the petition didn't lead to a rethink, cast and crew were touched to see how much the show meant to fans.

Stefan continued: "Most particularly, I want to thank all the very loyal fans out there. Not just the ones who voted for me for this, but all of those who have stuck by the show for the entire life of Neighbours ? and particularly in the last days when we did hear you very loud and clear on the other side of the world when you tried so desperately to keep the show alive. Thank you so much for that.

"And Jan Russ ? without you, I wouldn't be standing here getting this award today. Thank you for casting me in the show."

Neighbours aired its historic final episode at the end of July, featuring the much-hyped returns of Jason Donovan and Kylie Minogue as iconic supercouple Scott and Charlene Robinson.

The finale topped 4 million viewers in consolidated ratings for Channel 5, while 1.38 million fans saw the Australian airing on Channel 10.

The Inside Soap Awards will take place in London on Monday (October 17), when the rest of the winners will be announced at a star-studded ceremony.