She left town saddled with a secret pregnancy after her husband revealed that he was gay and getting his end away with one of the curry-stirrers at the family takeaway business - but that's enough about her 'Enders character Amirah Shah, because Preeya Kalidas is now launching a pop career with the booty-shaking bhangra-pop of debut single 'Shimmy'. Feeling as curious as a gossipy old woman about to meet a new neighbour for the first time, we hooked up with the glamorous singer/actress for a chat.

What's 'Shimmy' all about then?
"Well, 'Shimmy' is a vibrant, uptempo, sexy, sassy song that makes you want to dance. The best thing so far has been getting up and performing it - it's getting a great reaction! I'm also getting lots of positive comments on social networking sites so it's very much a case of so far, so good!"

Would you say 'Shimmy' is representative of the Preeya sound?
"Definitely, but people shouldn't expect every song to be like Shimmy. The album reflects my personality and the influences I had growing up, so it's got different aspects to it, but at the same time there's definitely a theme and it's consistent in its sound."

Is the album finished?
"No. We're still working on it but it's nearly there. I've lost count how many tracks we've recorded but we've managed to narrow it down to about eleven I think. I went back in the studio a couple of weeks ago actually because I had a day off and I was missing the creative process and we came up with a great track. Creativity is constant so the album won't be finished until it's in my hands!"

Do you know what the next single's going to be yet?
"Fortunately we've got a choice. I have my favourite and I'm hoping everyone agrees with me, but it's a collective decision so I can't really say yet! The plan as it stands is to release two or maybe three singles and then put out the album."

How involved have you been in the writing side of things?
"Very much so - I've co-written 70% of the album, and even if I didn't write a song, I chose it myself. I've been working with a couple of producers who are part of the RedOne camp, a Swedish production team called Cage Productions, a really successful producer called Cutfather and Labrinth, who produced both of the Tinie Tempah singles."

Labrinth is very much the man of the moment!
"But I met him before he was the man of the moment - or should I say 'boy of the moment' because he's only 21! I'm just so proud of him because he's so incredibly talented."

Has your EastEnders connection been more of a help or a hindrance?
"It's a positive thing because it's a huge show and the viewership is phenomenal. I've had such a fantastic response from the public for playing the character of Amira. A lot of people know me from the show and that can only help - I can talk about what I'm doing now with my music and the EastEnders thing makes it more interesting for people. Nothing's guaranteed though - just because people watched me on the show doesn't mean they'll be into what I'm doing now."

Are you worried people might think you're just having a quick crack at a pop career off the back of your soap stardom?
"People make assumptions all the time. All I can do is get on with what I'm doing and let them know this isn't something I've decided to do because I was on a soap. Music has always been my passion. I've pursued it in the midst of acting - even when I was on EastEnders I was still recording. It just so happens that while I was on the show I got offered a deal. Now I've left the show I'm pursuing music."

Do you have a favourite 'Enders-affiliated single?
"It's got to be 'Anyone Can Fall In Love' by Anita Dobson! Oh, and Michelle Gayle's 'Sweetness' is actually brilliant - it's a great pop tune and she had real success."

As a British Asian artist, have you been inspired by Jay Sean's success in the States?
"Definitely. I've known Jay since he started - I performed with him in Birmingham when I was 16. That's how a long a journey it's been for everyone and it's great to see your peers from that time still doing it and having huge success. Two years ago I hosted the Asian Music Awards and Jay was telling me he'd been dropped by his major label and decided to come back independently. He put a lot of his own money into getting recorded and that definitely inspired me. That week I called up certain producers saying, 'Let's get in the studio', and I paid for the studio time myself."