CAST your minds back a year when GIRLS ALOUD decided to take a break.
The five members announced they would be taking 12 months off to do their own thing.

We all know what CHERYL COLE did - nothing short of achieving world domination thanks to The X Factor.

What has gone unnoticed is NADINE COYLE's failed bid for solo stardom.

I've discovered that the Northern Irish lass - considered to have the best voice in the band - has failed to land a record deal.

Nadine was even turned down by Girl's Aloud's OWN record company, Polydor, and other labels in the same Universal business group.

Polydor had the first rights to sign any of the five ladies if they wanted to go solo.

A source said: "Nadine had meetings but none of the Universal labels wanted to take her on. She's tried to get a deal elsewhere but with no luck."

Cheryl was signed by Fascination Records, part of the Universal group, and scored a No1 album with 3 Words.

SARAH HARDING didn't pursue the solo pop career.

Instead she plumped for acting and appeared in Fallen and St Trinian's 2.

But Universal went on to release the soundtrack for the schoolgirl movie caper which featured three songs by Sarah - Too Bad, Make It Easy and Boys Keep Swinging.

NICOLA ROBERTS and KIMBERLEY WALSH did not try for solo careers.

Nicola spent the year falling in and out of the Mayfair Hotel in London, though she did find time to launch her own Dainty Doll make-up range.

Kimberley, meanwhile, made some moves towards a TV career with appearances on The X Factor and launched a clothing range with New Look.

I can't help feeling sorry for Nadine and would have thought she was worth a gamble. She has a fantastic voice and looks amazing.

The good news is she has managed to sign a publishing deal with EMI - for her songwriting.

As I recently reported, she's been penning tunes with GUY CHAMBERS, who co-wrote some of ROBBIE WILLIAMS' biggest hits.

But after a year of trying it seems increasingly unlikely anyone will now take her on as a solo chart star.