Gavin & Stacey star James Corden has described the time he spent in Hollyoaks as "hell on earth".

The actor, who had a small role as a college caretaker eight years ago, told the Liverpool Echo that he had hated his experience in the Channel 4 soap, insisting that it was a "horrible place to work".

"It was hell on earth. I am sure it has changed a lot now...No-one cared about making TV, they just cared about other things. It wasn’t how I particularly liked to work," he said.

The 30-year-old BAFTA winner added: "There is not a huge amount of care or love that went into the making of that show. It is a bit like a prison.

"I am sure if I ever go to prison I am in for a shock if I imagine it is like that, it wasn’t that bad. There is a real lack of aspiration to making something as good as you can."

Last year, Corden admitted that he would "rather die" than return to the programme, saying: "It just breeds p**cks - all these people walking around with this chicken-in-a-basket fame, talking about going to L.A."