The cast of Hollyoaks were celebrating last night after picking up three prestigious soap awards – the most the Channel 4 programme has ever collected.

The Chester-based soap came second only to Coronation Street who scooped six out of the 14 gongs.

The categories in which Hollyoaks lifted awards were:

Roxanne McKee (Louise Summers) bagged 'Sexiest Female', Gemma Merna (Carmel McQueen) triumphed with 'Best Comedy Performance', while Gemma Bissix (Clare Cunningham) walked away with the title 'Villain of the Year'.

In all, 50 members of the Hollyoaks team – including cast, crew and production – attended the glamorous ceremony held at BBC's Television Centre last night.

Speaking of the show's success, Producer Bryan Kirkwood said: "I am thrilled that Hollyoaks has received the recognition that it so richly deserves.

"The entire cast and crew have worked very hard over the past year to make Hollyoaks feel like it stands head to head with the big three soaps and the proof that is working is in winning awards like these and in our viewing figures which are great.

"Roxanne McKee, Gemma Merna and Gemma Bissix have all made a massive impact
since they joined Hollyoaks and they thoroughly deserve their awards. They
encapsulate everything about the show: fun, sexy and gripping storylines.”

He added: "We’ve seen some powerful performances from our cast recently; the writing is fresh and lively and with some explosive storylines planned for the summer and beyond. I'm sure viewers will be hooked."

Gemma Bissix, meanwhile, was thrilled to pick up an award: "I am absolutely delighted to win but it came as a real shock.

"I love playing Clare, she is such a bitch, nothing like me at all! Seeing Hollyoaks win so many awards is a credit to how successful and popular the show has become."