Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITV Miss Everton's Winner

ITV Miss Everton's Winner

ITV viewers missed Dan Gosling's winner in the 28th minute of extra-time against Liverpool last night because the broadcaster switched to adverts at the crucial moment.

As Joleon Lescott carried the ball over the halfway line in the build-up to the goal, ITV cut to a scheduled ad break, treating viewers first to a plug for cup sponsors E'On, then a commercial for Tic-Tacs.

Some regions managed to cut back to the action just as Gosling struck, but many viewers only rejoined the action as the Everton players were celebrating their goal.

Anchor Steve Rider attempted to apologise for the error at the end of the broadcast, commenting:

"Technically, it [the goal] came at a bad time for us as well. If you missed the goal, our apologies for the technical problems we had at that time."

That was the only explanation given until around 11.30, when ITV released a statement that read:

"ITV experienced some technical problems which would appear to be an issue with network transmission. We apologise for any interruption to the game."

It's not the first time that ITV's coverage of the FA Cup - for which they paid £275million - has come under criticism this season.

Supporters were clearly heard chanting 'ITV are f**king s**t' during the first round clash between Histon and Leeds (at which viewers were also 'treated' to the sight of a naked Histon player after the game), while their highlights package for the third round was widely derided for its inflexibility.

The broadcaster chose to stick with their pre-arranged matches, bringing extended coverage of Derby's win over Forest Green Rovers, while Nottingham Forest's 3-0 defeat of Manchester City, Southend's 1-1 draw at Chelsea and Hartlepool's 2-0 win over Stoke were given around three minutes in total.
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

I cant believe that happened! the liverpool fans were happy

When I first read the headline I thought it had something to do with a beauty pageant

I heard about this and oh dear

But thats the problem with sports on ITV anyway

yeh i hate watching sport on channels with adverts! couldnt they have waited til the end of extra time?
    ~x~Tizzy~x~

I wasnt like they had to wait for long, a whole two minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    I wasnt like they had to wait for long, a whole two minutes!
    yeh exactly thats what i mean, would it really have mattered if they had put on the adverts 2mins after they were scheduled?!
    ~x~Tizzy~x~

I know what your saying but the truth of the matter is that they never know whats gonna happen with sport
    If you ask me it should be but on a channel without adverts then things like this would never happen

Quote Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
    I know what your saying but the truth of the matter is that they never know whats gonna happen with sport
    exactly, which is why you shouldnt put in adverts halfway through!
    ~x~Tizzy~x~

Quote Originally Posted by di marco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
    exactly, which is why you shouldnt put in adverts halfway through!
    so it needs to be on a channel that doesnt do adverts like BBC

Thread Information