Thread: Garry Hobbs

dawn never seems to be in ee anymore
    westlife @ echo 18th march 2011 block 17
    westlife @ men 22nd march 2011 block C

dawn is horrible to him she just uses him as a babysitter for summer
    Maisie Mouse

If only Jase had not changed into the red t-shirt

Quote Originally Posted by LoobyLou84 View Post
    Dawn's not horrible, she just doesn't feel the same way ... at least she doesn't lead him on, that'd be worse.
    yeh ok shes not leading him on but she uses him all the time cos she knows he will do anything for her. although this is partly garrys fault as well, she needs to stop using him as a free babysitter whenever she feels like it
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Quote Originally Posted by sindydoll View Post
    dawn never seems to be in ee anymore
    good, the longer she stays off screen the better imo!
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Quote Originally Posted by di marco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LoobyLou84 View Post
    Dawn's not horrible, she just doesn't feel the same way ... at least she doesn't lead him on, that'd be worse.
    yeh ok shes not leading him on but she uses him all the time cos she knows he will do anything for her. although this is partly garrys fault as well, she needs to stop using him as a free babysitter whenever she feels like it

Ok fair enough, I agree that she takes advantage of his good nature, but I feel he often takes this as a sign that she's interested ... I'm not convinced she realises that it has this sort of effect on him.
    He needs to be stronger and back off from her, stop helping her out

Garry Hobbs decides to profess his love for sexy single mum Dawn Swann by asking her to marry him.

But sadly for the lovable mechanic things don’t go according to plan and he ends up making a mess of the whole thing.

Dawn, who is still getting over the death of fiancé Jase Dyer, is mortified when she discovers a diamond ring in her drink.

But with the entire restaurant watching Garry gets down on one knee to propose.

Dawn can’t believe his insensitivity so soon after Jase’s murder and tells him in no uncertain terms that nothing is ever going to happen between them.

She flees the restaurant in floods of tears. Devastated Garry rushes after her but as he stumbles on to the Square he breaks down in tears himself. An EastEnders insider said: “Garry decides it’s time to take control of his feelings for Dawn. So with Valentine’s Day approaching he books a table at the Indian and sets up his romantic proposal.

“All he wants is to look after Dawn and her daughter Summer. He gets the waiter to put the ring in a cocktail and to bring it over when he gives the say-so.

“Things go well at first but Garry misreads the signals. He thinks Dawn is talking about him when she tells him she’s found the one.

“But she’s reminiscing about Jase. At that point the waiter comes over and Garry has to continue with the proposal – much to Dawn’s horror.”

This is just boring. No man would follow a woman around like that. It's

Ricky Groves (Garry Hobbs, 'EastEnders')

Garry Hobbs's unlucky streak with women continues next week when the woman of his dreams Dawn Swann (Kara Tointon) rejects his marriage proposal. Taking the news badly, Garry - played by Ricky Groves - sets off into the sunset without telling a soul and is presumed missing. When the police find his car abandoned on the Dover cliffs, the news of Garry's 'suicide' hits Albert Square hard and residents struggle to come to terms with his 'death'. Not all, though, is at is seems. We gave Ricky a call to find out more.

Garry's been wanting to get with Dawn for a while now and next week, he inadvertently proposes…
    "With the history of the character, it's like they've been thrown together, what with Dawn being bereaved and Garry having tried it on with her one too many times before. He almost has the instant Pot Noodle family, and with Minty accusing him of being a surrogate dad to Summer, he thinks he may as well pop the question."

Does Garry not think that he's just being used as a babysitter or is he blinded by Dawn?
    "I think he hopes that because he's already doing half the job, the other half will follow. Garry thinks he's won the Lottery with Dawn. I think Garry's growing up a bit, to be honest."

Garry takes Dawn for a meal at the Argee Bargee. What happens there?
    "Outright rejection, that's what! Garry has the ring put in a cocktail and when Dawn goes for a trip down memory lane, Garry thinks she's talking about him when really, she's talking about her feelings for Jase. Before he realises that, though, he signals to the waiter to bring the ring out and Dawn finds it. When she says 'no', that's when Garry goes on the missing list."

What's Garry's state of mind at this point?
    "As always, he thinks he's on a winner and really, he isn't. The next thing you know, he's back to being depressed and decides to take a break from it all but sends the wrong signals out to everyone."

Where does he go and how does he get there?
    "Basically, he takes one of the cars from the Arches and then the police find it at a well-known, unseen suicide spot and because Garry tried to commit suicide before, people assume the worst back on the Square. In reality, it materialises that the car had been stolen while Garry was heading over to France and it's found on the white cliffs of Dover. While everyone's organising a memorial service for him, Garry can't believe what he's walking in on when he returns to Walford."

What happens?
    "He walks in on his own wake! People like Peggy and Phil are saying kind things about him and then there's Dawn who says that she thinks she loved him - that's the moment when Garry walks in. That's what prompts him to make another move towards her."

Do you think she meant it or do you think she was just saying it because of the circumstances?
    "Maybe there is a hint of that, but I think it was intended to show that maybe Dawn had been a bit bolshy with him and maybe she should start treating him a little better. When Garry's 'gone', I think she slightly sees the error of her ways and maybe realises that she did take him for granted a little."

Does this signal Garry maybe settling down?
    "If you look at the history of Garry, when he was with Laura and she had Bobby, Bobby didn't turn out to be his kid. In the back of his mind, I think Garry's always wanted to prove himself as a father. So he's kind of got that with Dawn and Summer - the instant, ready-made family."

Do you think Garry will start spending less time with Minty?
    "Well, Minty gets a girlfriend soon after…"

Maybe there'll be a double wedding on the cards?
    "Well, you never know! I think there's been one double wedding before, with Barry, Natalie, Ian and Mel. It'd be funny to see Garry and Minty stood at the altar, though."

Do you think Garry has ever gotten over Lynne?
    "It was a long while ago and people like Garry have to move on. You have the Slaters still in the Square, so he's still friendly with the family - but yeah, I think he's over her now. Although she was his first love, he wasn't happy with her a lot of the time!"

Do you think Garry truly loves Dawn?
    "Well, I think he lusted after her but now he can see himself with a little more of a future! Whether his love is unrequited, who knows? He'll still ogle all the other birds, though! His ego matters - he'll always be thinking 'I wonder if I could, if I did…'"

Is there scope for a return for Garry's mum, Hazel?
    "There's always scope. Once you're a mainstay character, you see these guest artists that come back time after time. But I'd love to see Kika Mirylees back."

Are you any good at fixing cars in real life?
    "I've got a GCSE in vehicle mechanics. Cars nowadays are so difficult to work on without a computer, though. I can do the things that matter, like changing a tyre and filling with oil and water to make them go."

What about Garry and Minty's boat - will that be used for anything?
    "Ahh! I'd love for something to happen with that one in the summer. Watch this space!"

Thread Information