Thread: Smoky Eyes

Smoky Eyes

anyone help too achieve without looking like i'm from Rocky Horror Picture Show

all tips and advice welcome please

For creating a smokey look some suggest black eye cosmetics, but you can try a slightly lighter shade of eye makeup like coffee or chocolate brown. Lining your eyes with charcoal black eyeliner can make eyes look very small. Perhaps just lining the outer corners of your eyes would enhance the smokey look. Try both and see which you prefer.

The crease is very important to the smokey eye and it needs special attention. With a taupe colored shadow, or a mixture of gray and brown, pick up a small amount (to begin), and work it into the crease area. Continue until the area is well defined, with lots of attention to the blending process. Remember, the look we are after is smokey. The crease is very important to the smokey eye and it needs special attention. With a taupe colored shadow, or a mixture of gray and brown, pick up a small amount (to begin), and work it into the crease area. Continue until the area is well defined, with lots of attention to the blending process. Remember, the look we are after is smokey.

That Smokey Look application tips - Step by step smokey eyes

Apply the base as you apply for any make-up.
    Apply mauve or red bronze base eyeshadow on upper and lower lids. Highlight the socket areas with a smoky black hued shadow pigment.
    Use a slightly thicker eyeliner to highlight the eyes.
    Curl your eyelashes to give them a smoky look.
    Apply mascara.
    Apply mauve or red blush on to complete the look for smoky eye.

Remember to keep lips nude. When applying strong makeup (like smoky eyes or red lips) put the focus on either eyes or lips, never both.
    Apply white translucent powder below the eye and dust off after applying eye makeup. It will catch any fallen shadow.

For a bit of fun, try a blue or purple mascara. It will make blue eyes "pop."
    Liner doesn't have to come in pencil form. Makeup experts know eyeshadows make some of the best eyeliners. To do this take an eyeliner brush, wet it, then dab wet brush into the dark shadow. This allows for a deep, precise line. You can also use the dark shadows without wetting brush first. Either way, eyeliner is necessary for smoky eye.
    The key to the perfect smoky eye is proper blending. You want to make sure colors are blended together flawlessly.

I would recommend using Urban Decay Primer Potion or Too Faced Shadow Insurance as a base. Primes the eyelid and makes sure that eyeshadows don't crease and last all day and night!
    As a 'beginner' you don't have to use black for a smokey eye, you can always use a really dark brown. I use The Body Shop's eyeshadow called Chocolate - a very deep dark brown with gold reflects.
    I sometimes opt for dark colours e.g. dark green or a midnight blue.. Smokey eyes don't always have to be black!
    The rest Perdita has really said it all.. No point repeating that x

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U2JGkzXG37Q"]YouTube - Sultry, Sexy Purple Smokey Eye eyeshadow look Re-visitied[/ame]

I recomd watching this lady, she's got a few videos on now, but i find her stuff really easy to understand and useful.

Just to add to the others, you need a good pallete of colours to make it look good, and really good brushes to blend it up nicely. Lots of shades and blending and you'll look fab.

Thread Information