Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephanie Beacham as Martha

Stephanie Beacham as Martha

Former Dynasty and The Colbys star Stephanie Beacham is in the running for a role in Coronation Street.

The 61-year-old, who played Sable Colby in the US soap, has auditioned for a part, which is rumoured to be a new love interest for Ken Barlow (William Roache).

A spokesperson for the ITV show told DS: "Producers have seen Stephanie Beacham for the part, but the audition process is still ongoing."

They added: "A decision on the final casting has yet to be made."

Beacham played inmate Phyllida Oswyn for three years in ITV's prison drama Bad Girls. She also appeared in last year's series of Strictly Come Dancing.

Earlier this week, it was reported that TV legend Andrew Sachs has been lined up for the role of Norris Cole's (Malcolm Hebden) brother.

FFS, leave Ken happy with Deirdre, he is 78 years old, surely it is time for him to stop being the Weatherfield Gigolo.

I always used to get her mixed up with the actress who played Ken's ex Denise, I think they look quite similar.
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

I think you are right, they do look alike

WTF Ken gets a new love interest

What about specky Deirdre

do ken and dreary ever stay together for more than 5 minutes!?!?!

Eighties actress Stephanie Beacham has joined the cast of Coronation Street, it has been confirmed.

The 61-year-old Colbys actress, who appeared as Sable Colby in the US show, auditioned for the ITV soap last week and has now been cast in the role of Martha, an eccentric potential new love interest for Weatherfield veteran Ken Barlow (William Roache).

Ken bumps into Martha by the canal while walking Blanche's (Maggie Jones) dog Eccles. He soon learns that Martha is a theatre actress who travels from performance to performance via the UK waterways on her barge.

Beacham has played Bad Girl Phyllida Oswyn for three years in the ITV prison drama, before going on to star in last year's series of Strictly Come Dancing.

She begins filming with the Manchester-based soap next week and will first appear on screen at the end of January. She will remain with the show for at least three to four months.

Ken is a pointless and boring character these days, if this is all they can think of to do with him then i'd rather he just left.
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_2k7 View Post
    Ken is a pointless and boring character these days, if this is all they can think of to do with him then i'd rather he just left.
    That is doubtful seeing he just signed up for another two years. But I agree, he can do other storylines than cheating on Deirdre.

Stephanie Beacham nets Corrie’s resident intellectual Ken Barlow — by rescuing his dog from a river.

Stephanie, 61, who found fame as bitchy Sable Colby in the glitzy US soap, stars as Martha Fraser and she swiftly grabs the attention of Ken (William Roache).

The pair meet when Ken is walking mother-in-law Blanche Hunt’s mutt Eccles. When the dog falls in, Martha fishes him out.

A source said: “It’s lust at first sight for Ken. When he finds out Martha likes Radio 4, he’s smitten.”

Stephanie Beacham: 'I am very lucky'

Former Dynasty star and Strictly Come Dancing contestant Stephanie Beacham has expressed her delight at working with Coronation Street veteran William Roache at the ITV soap.

The 61-year-old actress, who has lived in Malibu for the last 24 years, landed the part of eccentric barge owner Martha Fraser in November and first appears in Weatherfield next week.

Street resident Ken Barlow (William Roache) bumps into Martha while he's walking Blanche's (Maggie Jones) dog Eccles beside the canal where Martha's barge is moored. Ken soon begin to spend more time with Martha behind his wife Deirdre's (Anne Kirkbride) back.

Describing Roache, the UK's longest-serving soap actor, as 'one of the nicest human beings she has ever met', she went on to say: "He is a really nice bloke, delightful and helpful and we get on very well which is great because most of our scenes are just with the two of us. So it means everything in those situations to get on with your co-star. It's awful if you are gritting your teeth thinking 'here we go again'. I am very lucky.

"What is fantastic for me about Martha is she is the first nice to earth woman I have played in years," she said of her character. "I can't actually remember playing anyone so nice. She is a woman who knows how to sew, she is practical, she is more like me than most of the people I have played and it such a relief not to have to wear high heels!

"Martha's costume is so comfortable: warm Ugg boots and jumpers and jeans - a world away from Dynasty!"

Comparing the cold UK climate to that in Malibu, she joked: "I was laughing to myself today thinking 'this is what you signed up for, honey'. I am wearing layers of thermals that make me look ten times my normal size!"

She added: I love my life in Malibu - I do my washing up with a view of the ocean and mountains - but I keep a base here for work and to see my friends and family."

Despite leaving her dogs at her Californian home, she laughed: "I get daily reports on them and Skype them but they aren’t very good at it!"

She is most famous for playing Sable Colby in US shows Dynasty and The Colbys, before going on to appear in various acting roles including ITV prison drama Bad Girls

Stephanie Beacham on her Corrie role

Stephanie Beacham makes her screen debut in Coronation Street next week as barge owner Martha Fraser, Ken Barlow's (William Roache) potential 24th love interest!

Here are a few quotes from Stephanie talking about her role and how she'll never set foot in the Rovers during her entire three to four-month stint.

How did you get the part?
    "My agent contacted me about the role, it just came up and I was given the breakdown and really liked the character and the storyline so I came up to see the producer and met everybody and next minute they were asking me my sizes for Martha’s clothes and I was on the barge in the freezing cold – all very quick."

How do Martha and Ken meet?
    "Martha meets Ken because Eccles makes a dive for a bird and plonks in the water and Martha fishes him out. She is quite lonely, it is a solitary life on that boat and he is an intelligent man who likes to make conversation and so does she. It is a relief for him to get away from his problems and lovely for her to have someone to talk to. They are having an intellectual friendship that may develop! She knows nothing about his track record, he just turned up on her boat. I believe Martha would be his 24th girlfriends in 48 years – that’s not bad, only one every two years, that’s moderate!"

Have people been asking you about filming?
    "I won’t ever be in the Rovers, which is a shame. People can’t believe it when I tell them that I am in Coronation Street and I’m not going to get a scene in the Rovers. I’ll have to sneak in the back of a scene in disguise."

Have you met many of the other cast?
    "I am fortunate that I have had my own set built but it is a quite a way from where the rest of the sets are – in another building entirely so I haven’t even had reason to go into studio. I bump into people when I am getting lost in the building where all the dressing rooms, costume and makeup are!"

Did you know anyone else from Coronation Street before you joined?
    "I have just worked with the delightful Amanda Barrie in Bad Girls so she told me all about Corrie during the four years we worked together and 42 years ago I worked Maggie Jones, she is wonderful, she used to come out with great words of wisdom even then. I was also married to the lovely Michael Byrne (who plays Ted) in No Bananas, he got blown up so I am still his widow!! Coronation Street is a bit like six degrees of separation, everyone knows someone who has worked on it."

Thread Information