Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucas Fitzgerald

The actor revealed that Lucas will receive a huge shock in 2012 which could ultimately have a positive impact on his life.

Major told Channel 5: "Lucas is about to be hit with the biggest surprise which is going to rock his world initially, but could be the best thing that has ever happened to him."
    I hope it is Elle back with his kid

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

lizann (10-12-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    I hope it is Elle back with his kid
    that would be so good! I miss Elle. Doubt it would happen though...
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LostVoodoo For This Useful Post:

lizann (10-12-2011)

I love Elle to return

Neighbours mechanic Lucas Fitzgerald will be diagnosed with cancer in a forthcoming storyline.

In a cruel blow, the new father receives the bombshell news shortly after his baby son Patrick has been given the all-clear following his own health problems.

Viewers in Australia will see the storyline begin on screen next week, after Lucas has donated some blood to help with Patrick's heart operation.

Dr Karl Kennedy (Alan Fletcher) tells Lucas that a routine screening of his blood has revealed some abnormalities, and further tests are needed as he may have cancer.

Lucas immediately goes into denial, but the diagnosis of cancer will later be officially confirmed by the hospital.

Scott Major, who plays Lucas, is hoping that the storyline will help to raise awareness of early detection.

In real life, the actor lost his father to non-Hodgkin's mantle cell lymphoma four years ago, while one of his friends is currently battling leukaemia.

Major told Channel 5: "I think it is very important to raise awareness of all kinds of cancer, so to use a platform like Neighbours - which has millions of viewers worldwide - is a fantastic opportunity.

"I was very happy to accept the story. Sadly, everyone in their lifetime will be touched by cancer in some way."

Of Lucas's initial denial, he added: "When you find out a diagnosis like that with the possibility of it being terminal, I've learnt from those around me who have gone through it, there are different stages of grief which includes denial, anger and acceptance, so I think Lucas's reaction is very typical."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (27-03-2013), lizann (27-03-2013), yeschef77 (27-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Neighbours mechanic Lucas Fitzgerald will be diagnosed with cancer in a forthcoming storyline.

Last edited by Dazzle; 27-03-2013 at 09:11.

omg poor lucas

UK viewers also see Lucas Fitzgerald's illness storyline begin next week as he hears worrying news about his health.

Lucas's baby son Patrick has just come out of surgery at the hospital when Karl Kennedy delivers a shocking blow.

Patrick has come through the surgery well, but Karl takes Lucas (Scott Major) aside and reveals that a routine screening of blood that Lucas donated for his son has revealed some abnormalities.

Lucas is deeply concerned to hear that he may have cancer, but he refuses to share his health crisis with girlfriend Vanessa Villante so soon after the good news about Patrick…

© Channel 5
    Vanessa and Lucas.

Neighbours airs these scenes on Friday, May 3 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-04-2013)

Neighbours regular Lucas Fitzgerald faces one of the toughest challenges of his life on UK screens next month as he is diagnosed with testicular cancer.

The mechanic's family life with partner Vanessa Villante and their baby son Patrick is just getting back on track when he receives the worrying news.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Scott Major, who plays Lucas, to hear his thoughts on the emotional storyline.

How did you feel about taking on such a serious storyline?
    "Cancer is something that I've been touched by very closely. My father died of cancer four years ago, and I have a very, very close friend who is currently battling leukaemia as well.

"When I was told about the storyline, I suppose the first thing I thought was, 'I hope they're not killing me off!' Second of all, I knew that this was a great opportunity to give some truth to a very serious storyline. I really wanted to make sure that we took it to the next step and represented the storyline in a very true way."

Did you have to do some research into this type of cancer in particular?
    "Yes, I did do a little bit of research. I do have another friend who I grew up with who had this particular type of cancer and lost a testicle, so I knew what he'd been through. But I did look further into what it entailed and what the possible outcomes could or would be. I took it very seriously in that respect."

Has the storyline been challenging for you to film?
    "Definitely. There are generally some light and soppy moments on Neighbours, but I usually don't get those - I get the bigger and more serious storylines.

"It's certainly been a challenge, as when you're faced with your own mortality, that's a tough thing for anyone to consider. You always believe that it will not happen to you, so when it does, I think the way you look at the world changes."

Neighbours still has a huge audience worldwide. Are you hoping the storyline will help to raise awareness of testicular cancer?
    "This is definitely something that I'm hoping comes out of this storyline. Men in general don't go and get themselves checked out if they have an ailment or feel a little bit off. I'd really like it if we could encourage people that it's okay to go and get checked out. The earlier the detection, the better. It'd be great to raise awareness because this illness touches so many people. Hopefully the storyline will do some good."

How does Lucas cope with the news?
    "When Lucas first finds out the news, he does what would be a natural thing - he goes into denial and he doesn't want to believe that it's true. The first piece of news he gets is that he has a high white blood cell count. Lucas asks Dr Karl what that could be, so he goes through the options - it could just be a virus or it could be something a lot more serious.

"Lucas tries to convince himself that it is just a virus and everything will be fine, but after some further examination, they find a lump on his testicle. Lucas is still in denial and hopes that it isn't cancer, but then he does find out for sure.

"Once Lucas knows that it is cancer, the next question is whether it's spread. If it has spread into the abdomen, then it could be a lot more serious, but if it's just isolated to the one area, then he could be okay again once they've removed his testicle. Lucas is always looking for the hope and wanting to believe that things will work out for the best."

Why does Lucas hide his news from Vanessa?
    "Lucas believes he's doing the right thing. They've been through a very tough time with their son Patrick being in hospital, but now things are starting to look up. Patrick's operation is a success, and they're moving into a new apartment, so Lucas doesn't want to worry Vanessa unnecessarily until they know all the facts.

"Lucas doesn't want to tell Vanessa until he absolutely has to, but he thinks he's protecting her."

Could this situation bring Lucas and Vanessa closer together in the long-term?
    "I think any kind of serious illness or grief would definitely bring a couple closer together. If they do manage to get through this, I think they'll be closer than ever."

Do you think Lucas and Vanessa are a good match, or is it a relationship of convenience?
    "They've certainly had a rocky road to get to where they are, but I truly believe that they're a great couple. They're very different people and they react differently to a lot of situations. Vanessa is a very fiery sort of character, while Lucas is more of a laid-back Aussie. I think it's a case of opposites attracting. They share a really good bond and have a very, very strong respect for each other."

Are you enjoying working with a baby on set?
    "I love working with the baby! We've actually had a couple, because Patrick was in hospital and wasn't able to put on weight. We had a six-week production break over Christmas, so the baby that we originally had was a little bit too big by the time we got back. Although we were off for six weeks, the storyline just continued on to the next day.

"I don't have any children of my own, and playing with the baby on set is great. Although some days you feel sorry for him because 40 people, lights and a microphone isn't always the easiest thing for a baby to
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

14. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (26-04-2013)

Neighbours actor Scott Major recently chatted about his character Lucas's testicular cancer storyline, which begins on screen in the UK next week.

If you haven't done so yet, check out the first part of the interview here as Scott shares his thoughts on the sensitive story and reveals how Lucas deals with his illness.

Here, Soap Scoop presents part two of the interview as Scott tells us about Steph Scully's return, the recent Neighbours revamp and his future career ambitions.

Here in the UK, we'll be seeing Steph Scully's return scenes next month. Did you enjoy working with Carla Bonner again?
    "Absolutely - I love working with Bonns. She's been a friend for a very long time, so it was great to be able to work together again. After the first scene we did together, I told her that it was like she'd never left! We always have a lot of fun together, and this particular return for Steph is a very different one. It was great playing that."

Steph has unresolved feelings for Lucas, but does he realise that?
    "He has absolutely no idea! When Steph went into jail, she told him to move on and she didn't allow him to visit her. Lucas has definitely moved on now in a very big way!

"Steph and Lucas were mates for a very long time, so he just assumes that they've gone back to that friendship. He's probably slightly in denial, but even when questioned by people like Sonya and Vanessa, he defends Steph all the way. He genuinely doesn't believe that she has any romantic feelings for him."

What do you make of the recent changes to Neighbours?
    "Any time new producers come in, there's always a bit of a shake-up. They've put their own mark on it and brought back some old characters, and I think that's great.

"One thing about Neighbours you can always guarantee is that there'll always be change. The new producers are doing a fantastic job, and I just love getting my scripts each week to discover what's coming up next."

We asked for reader questions and one fan wanted to know whether there'll be more coming up for Lucas and Sonya's friendship…
    "Yes, there will be. They have a great relationship and I love working with Eve Morey - we're very close. I will ask the writers for more through this interview, by saying that I'd love Lucas to have more with Sonya too!

"I think they've got a really strong and true friendship. They rely on each other a little bit and fall back on each other when things get tough. Sonya definitely doesn't mince words with Lucas and she tells him how it is, so I think that's a really lovely relationship."

Do you miss the days when Lucas was a bit more of a rogue?
    "Well, some of the crew sometimes say, 'When did Lucas become such a good boy?!' I do love playing a bad boy. During most of my career, I have played a rebel of sorts.

"Although I do enjoy that, we all grow up. I think Lucas has definitely grown up now and he has responsibility, so he can't just go out there and be the rebel without a cause."

Some of our readers will know that you're a director as well as an actor. How is everything going on the directing front?
    "Things are going well. I've recently directed the Steph webisodes online, and there are six of those coming out altogether. They're prequels showing Steph in jail having counselling sessions. It was great that the production team asked me to do that.

"I believe there is also some more directing of Neighbours coming up for me too, so I'm also looking forward to that."

We know that you also do quite a bit of theatre and writing work alongside Neighbours. What do you have on the go at the moment?
    "I've just finished doing a play Closer, which is an English play. I produced, directed and acted in that, and we finished up in March. So far I don't have anything else really on the boil, but I do have a comedy series that I'm writing with a friend, and we're hoping to shoot a pilot for that. I'm also putting together a little bit of a rock documentary on Dallas Frasca, an Australian musician who was recently over in the UK."

Would you like to do some work in the US or the UK in the future?
    "Never say never! Australia is a very small pond as far as the world of acting goes. I do love working here, but I would love to come over and work in the UK again. I've already lived in London for two years, and I did a little bit on Doctors and a little bit on Love Soup, too. That was really enjoyable.

"The only thing really holding me back, apart from being on Neighbours at the moment, is getting a working visa to come over. If I can get one of those, I'll definitely be back over there.
    Last edited by alan45; 26-04-2013 at 01:12.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Thread Information