Thread: 'Emmerdale's Donald and Paul quit

'Emmerdale's Donald and Paul quit

Two more Emmerdale actors have quit the show, Digital Spy can confirm.

Business tycoon Donald de Souza and gay barman Paul Lambert - played by 72-year-old Michael Jayston and 34-year-old Mathew Bose respectively - will depart the Yorkshire village on screen before the end of the year.

Speaking of his decision to quit, Bose said: "I've had a brilliant time playing Paul but after four years, I have taken the decision to explore new projects. I have a huge amount of respect and affection for Emmerdale and my colleagues, all of whom I will greatly miss.

"This is a personal decision and one that I have agonised over for some time, particularly as the show and Anita in particular have been so supportive of me. I'm grateful that the door will be left open for me to return in the future so this may not be the last we see of Paul."

He added: "The rumours in the press about low morale among the cast are completely untrue. There is a great atmosphere at the moment, particularly after the show scooped two TV Quick Awards last week. Anita has the full backing of the cast."

Series producer Anita Turner commented: "It's always disappointing to see great actors go but the storylines dictate the pace and we have to allow the show to keep moving forward. I understand Mathew's decision to go off and explore other avenues but the door will be open for him to come back any time."

Earlier this year, Bose's on-screen civil partner Jonny Foster (Richard Grieve) was axed, along with Grayson Sinclair (Christopher Villiers) and Perdy Hyde-Sinclair (Georgia Slowe).

Meanwhile, Michael Jayston said of his exit: "I've had a marvellous time filming the show. There are no egos at Emmerdale and I've made a lot of friends. I'm looking forward to filming Donald's dramatic demise!"

Turner added: "It has been a real privilege to work with Michael; he's a fantastic actor and has been a great asset to the show. His exit storyline is full of compelling drama which we hope will leave him with fond memories of his time on Emmerdale. We wish him all the best for the future."

December will also see the departure of two other long-standing Emmerdale faces, as Roxanne Pallett (Jo Sugden) and Matt Healy (Matthew King) quit the soap for pastures new. Emily Symons is also due to take a year's break.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

alan45 (16-09-2008)

Thread Information