Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Barlow

Chris Gascoyne has spoken about the reasons behind his upcoming six-month break from Coronation Street.

The Peter Barlow actor, whose departure along with co-star Alison King was announced in May, explained why he will be leaving the Weatherfield soap next month.

Questioned over whether he had planned the hiatus for long, Gascoyne responded: "No, not really. Things just snowball on.

"You don't get a rest because there's no end to this show and when you have got big storyline after big storyline you get very tired and you're not really on top of your work.

"So much so I just needed a break to refresh myself and then come back and I'll be fine."

Of how he will spend his time away from filming, the 44-year-old father-of-three added: "There'll be a bit of family time and just time to have a normal life really."

Gascoyne has portrayed well-meaning bigamist and alcoholic Peter Barlow since 2000, leaving the soap in 2007 before returning a year later.

If Peter and Leanne had split up with Leanne properly after the tram crash, then lived on their own for a bit. Simon & the viewers would probably welcomed his relationship with Carla. But because everyone adores Peter/Leanne/Simon "happy family" The Peter/Carla story is just a big turn-off, it would have been the same if Leanne was with Nick. Simon is just a scared little boy who wants his Mum and Dad back together. Will it happen who knows?

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'brien View Post
    If Peter and Leanne had split up with Leanne properly after the tram crash, then lived on their own for a bit. Simon & the viewers would probably welcomed his relationship with Carla. But because everyone adores Peter/Leanne/Simon "happy family" The Peter/Carla story is just a big turn-off, it would have been the same if Leanne was with Nick. Simon is just a scared little boy who wants his Mum and Dad back together. Will it happen who knows?
    agree Chloe, and for me, if Leanne and Nick do get bck together now, I will welcome that, as leanne needs some support and love.But at the time of their affair behind Peter's back, I hated them both for what they were doing - you cant help what you feel, but its how you go about dealing with it that matters - that said I would be looking over my shoulder for Eva!!!
    Last edited by sarah c; 09-06-2012 at 09:12.

Coronation Street's Chris Gascyone has branded his character Peter Barlow an "idiot".

Speaking to Inside Soap, the actor admitted that he is surprised fans do not give him a "hard time" on the street.

"They seem to like Peter, which is weird, because you really shouldn't," he opined. "He's an idiot!

"He's a flawed character, though, rather than an evil one - so you ultimately don't want him to suffer something terrible."

The 44-year-old recently announced that he is taking a four-month break from the ITV show to spend time with his family.

Gascoyne's final scenes before his hiatus air tomorrow (Monday) at 8.30pm on ITV1.

Coronation Street's Chris Gascyone has branded his character Peter Barlow an "idiot".

Speaking to Inside Soap, the actor admitted that he is surprised fans do not give him a "hard time" on the street.

"They seem to like Peter, which is weird, because you really shouldn't," he opined. "He's an idiot!

"He's a flawed character, though, rather than an evil one - so you ultimately don't want him to suffer something terrible."

The 44-year-old recently announced that he is taking a four-month break from the ITV show to spend time with his family.

Gascoyne's final scenes before his hiatus air tomorrow (Monday) at 8.30pm on ITV1.

Coronation Street star Chris Gascoyne has said he cannot understand why his screen alter ego Peter Barlow has proven so popular with viewers.

Speaking to Inside Soap magazine the actor said he found it "weird" that viewers "never give me a hard time", despite him being involved in some dramatic storylines, the latest of which will see him and Carla Connor try to kidnap his son Simon from Leanne.

"They seem to like Peter, which is weird, because you really shouldn't," Chris said.

"He's an idiot! He's a flawed character, though, rather than an evil one - so you ultimately don't want him to suffer something terrible."

Chris, who is taking a few months break from the show, added that he would not know what sort of advice he could give Peter to try and improve his life.

"It's very easy to give advice, but I'm not in Peter's situation," he said.

"I can understand why he does what he does - the scripts are very well written when it comes to that - but I hope that I'm never put in his position. It's just an awful place to be."

Chris Gascoyne has returned to the Coronation Street after a four-month break.

Pictures in today's Sun newspaper show the tanned actor - now sporting a white beard - collecting new scripts.

Gascoyne, who plays alcoholic Peter Barlow, took time off to spend time with his wife and three children.

The 44-year-old announced his hiatus alongside co-star and on-screen girlfriend Alison King (Carla Connor) back in May.

Peter, as well as Carla, left Weatherfield in July for a "trip of a lifetime" following a stressful custody battle for his son.

Producer Phil Collinson revealed to Digital Spy in August that Peter and Carla would make an "explosive" return to the Street.

Collinson also confirmed that the popular duo will be "together for a little while", but warned viewers that they may not have a "long-term future" together.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

alan45 (02-10-2012), lizann (13-11-2012), tammyy2j (02-10-2012)

Looking forward to Peters return. As for Carla I wouldn't care if she never darkened the cobbles again
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Chloe O'brien (18-11-2012), Dazzle (02-10-2012), lizann (13-11-2012), tammyy2j (02-10-2012)

Peter Barlow will break up with Carla Connor shortly after the pair return from America in December, it has been reported.

According to the Daily Star, Peter will try to win back ex-wife Leanne, who will become engaged to her first husband Nick Tilsley once again later this month.

Peter will apparently say to Leanne in scenes to air next month: "You look like someone doing an impersonation of someone being happy.

"Marrying 'Bistro Boy' will be the worst mistake of your life," he will allegedly further warn, before claiming that they are both lonely without each other.

However, Leanne reportedly hits back, but will face a longer term dilemma over whether she can marry Nick and resist Peter.

Leanne reacts badly when her and Peter's divorce papers come through in upcoming episodes, suggesting she still holds a flame for the alcoholic bookies' owner.

Chris Gascoyne (Peter) and Alison King (Carla) returned to set in October following their respective four-month breaks from the ITV soap.

Peter Barlow will break up with Carla Connor shortly after the pair return from America in December, it has been reported.

According to the Daily Star, Peter will try to win back ex-wife Leanne, who will become engaged to her first husband Nick Tilsley once again later this month.

Peter will apparently say to Leanne in scenes to air next month: "You look like someone doing an impersonation of someone being happy.

"Marrying 'Bistro Boy' will be the worst mistake of your life," he will allegedly further warn, before claiming that they are both lonely without each other.

However, Leanne reportedly hits back, but will face a longer term dilemma over whether she can marry Nick and resist Peter.

Leanne reacts badly when her and Peter's divorce papers come through in upcoming episodes, suggesting she still holds a flame for the alcoholic bookies' owner.

Chris Gascoyne (Peter) and Alison King (Carla) returned to set in October following their respective four-month breaks from the ITV soap.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (13-11-2012)

Thread Information