Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Mamma Mia - The Movie

my gran got the dvd cos it was really cheap in wilkinsons i think she said, not got round to watching it yet though i really want to as everyone says how brill it is and the stage show was great when i saw it
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    Folks keep an open mind, the STAGE VERSION and the MOVIE.. are two different things..
    I have seen both and I think they both have merit ..
    I know alot of you think that the characters were miscast ( like Meryl Strep) I had a hard time getting my head around Pierce Bronson singing instead of brandishing a gun as James Bond LOL
    So if you have seen the stage version ,, KEEP an open mind for the movie version...

About 23 yrs ago they made a movie called CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD,, I had seen the stage version first : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_a_Lesser_God_ and I was totally SHOCKED at the movie version : http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Childre...f_a_Lesser_God..that is when I learned to give the stage and movie versions leeway

but the storylines the same for both isnt it?
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas Fairy View Post
    but the storylines the same for both isnt it?

Ok screen adaptions may be a bit different, not saying that they totally changed the story line, but if folks who attended theatre on reg basis then see their favorites adapted to screen will be a bit disapointed.. I just find the movie versions a bit better ( maybe it is down to me as being very visual since I am deaf and I depend on my eyes rather than my hearing which I no longer have )

Now the stage version of CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD was very very very different from the screen version,, the stage version was strongly political the movie version offered a bit less of the political insight..

To be honest Jodi I thought that the film and the stage show were too alike.

Although they made good use of the setting in the film, the dialogue and the whole arrangement was very similar to that of the stage show I saw in Edinburgh and I think that it would have benefited from a better film adaptation rather than just a straight film the same show but in the sun.

Meryl Streep was okay. I still think she was miscast - the woman is a great actress and she can sing, but she is too serious and plain for the part. I mean can you imagine MS being the kind of woman who doesn't know which of 3 men is the father of her child?? I mean, come on!

I understand the point that you are making that some people know a show (or a book even) and are disappointed by the film, but in this case I think that the film is weaker by not being more different.

It isn't Mama Mia The Movie, it is Mama Mia, a film of the show set outside.

Oh dear am i the only person who likes MS in the movie. The only person i didn't like mwas Pierce, although his singing was sooooo bad it was almost good if that makes sence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie Wallace View Post
    Oh dear am i the only person who likes MS in the movie. The only person i didn't like mwas Pierce, although his singing was sooooo bad it was almost good if that makes sence.

If it makes you feel any better i didn't like Pierce much either ;)

I like MS in the movie

I want to see the stage version Its on my list

i loved meryl streep in the role, she played it so well, her version of the winner takes it all is breathtaking.

the only cast member i didn't like was colin firth! but that's becuase I can't stand him as an actor!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post

the only cast member i didn't like was colin firth! but that's becuase I can't stand him as an actor!
    Awww I love him!

Thread Information