Thread: Exclusive: Corrie In Turmoil As Sue Falls Sick

Exclusive: Corrie In Turmoil As Sue Falls Sick

By Brian Roberts (The Daily Mirror 22.11.06)

CORONATION Street's festive episodes have been plunged into chaos after actress Sue Cleaver fell ill.

The star, who plays cab controller Eileen Grimshaw, was violently sick at the weekend.

She was due to film Christmas and New Year storylines but could not make the shoot - at a hospital.

The 40-year-old was comforted at home by partner Brian Owen after a doctor diagnosed severe gastric flu.

A Corrie source said: "Brian said Sue was in a heck of a state.

"There was no way she would make it despite the importance of her being there. We are all wishing her a speedy recovery." Show chiefs hired part of North Manchester General Hospital to film scenes with Sue and Jenny Platt, who plays barmaid Violet Wilson.

But the days were wasted and crews were sent home. They hoped to film them yesterday but Sue was still too ill.

The source added: "It's a big problem whenever anyone is off.

"But Sue is probably going to be off a week so many scenes have to be re-jigged, re-written and re-scheduled.

"Deadlines are so tight now. Production staff are desperately trying to figure out how to catch up. The scenes with Sue are integral."

The Christmas Day episode will see Eileen answer her door to one of son Jason's one-night stands - holding a tot.

The girl gives Eileen the tot, saying it is time he took responsibility.

She summons Jason from the Rovers with girlfriend Sarah Platt (Tina O'Brien), hands him the baby and says: "Happy Christmas".

In the scenes due to have been filmed this week, Eileen will be seen at Violet's bedside after complications set in with her pregnancy

I Just Love Eileen in Corrie, she is very much a main player in Corrie at the moment and long may it continue. She reminds me very much of Elsie Tanner expect her man eating ways

Eileen is awesome. Some of the lines she comes out with just crack me up and they're delivered with impeccable timing. I really think they don't use her enough.

thats a shame but hope she will be ok

Eileen walking in the Rovers Return with a Baby Christmas Day sounds fabulous ! Just can't wait !

Thread Information