View Poll Results: Would English schoolkids benefit from having foreign exchange programmes?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it would improve their speaking of a foreign language as they would have more chance to use it

10 83.33%
  • No, they would see that most countries can speak English so they don't need to bother

0 0%
  • I don't think it would make a difference

2 16.67%
  • Don't know

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should all schools have an exchange programme?

Should all schools have an exchange programme?

for some reason i thought about this the other night when i couldnt sleep (weird i know!)

anyway, do you think all schools in the uk should have an exchange programme with a school in another country (eg. france, germany or spain)? where pupils could be partnered with a pupil from the foreign school and could write to them and then have exchange visits.

if this happened, do you think it would improve childrens speaking of a foreign language as they would be able to use it more frequently, or do you think it would make it worse (especially as in france children seem to be able to speak english very well and so maybe english pupils would see no need to speak french to them when they could speak english instead)?

anyway, i was just wondering what you all thought, whether kids would benefit from an exchange programme or not
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

I think an exchange programme would be a good idea, it would help kids learn more about other places round the world and could help them with their languages. I definitely think kids would benefit from it.

Definatly. It allows school children to learn about differnt cultures and improve their foriegn lanuages at the same time

i said yes but when i was in yr 8 i went on a french exchange and it was the worst experience of my life. mainly because i didn't get on that well with my exchange partner and the family were seriously wierd! (my exchange partner even spent one night away at her grans and left me behind!). However all my friends that went really enjoyed it and found it really beneficial so i guess i was just unlucky so I believe that gthey are still aq good idea

Yeah, but in my school only the smartest kids get to do it. How will the others catch up if they don't get to do anything

I dont think so, to be honest. I mean, i think that all pupils should learn a foreign language, and learn about a foreign culture, but i dont think an exchange programme would be worthwhile in every single school. Thats because the only difference between staging a convosation with a student teacher or someone and going to Germany is the accents. I think going to the country would help you with your accent, but thats it. And even that can be worked on in schools.

I've learnt German for 5 years now. I've never been to Germany or any other German speaking country in my life. I've never even spoken in German to a German person before. But that hasn't stopped me doing well in it. I think exchange programmes everywhere would just take too much of the teachers time, efforts and pupils money, when you can do just as well without it. It would just be a waste of time.

As for the letters idea. Well, thats the type of thing you can do without an exchange programme. I've used loads of different text books, and all of them have model letters in them, which are supposedly from your PenPal. Well surely just translating, understanding and replying to these type of letters is just as good? As i said before, Exchange programmes can help you with some things, but i think theres better things school could spend time and money on, when the benefits of Exchange programmes can be acheived in easier ways.

I think it would be a good idea. They do a German one at my school, but I do Spanish instead, so I can't do one. A few of my friends have gone on them and say they are really good. It would help to speak the language in a country which uses it. I think they're a good idea.
    xxx
    Hiro: ...but you flying man! WHOOOOSSSHHH!
    Nathan: Would you keep it down?
    Hiro: ...whooooosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamzi
    I think it would be a good idea. They do a German one at my school, but I do Spanish instead, so I can't do one. A few of my friends have gone on them and say they are really good. It would help to speak the language in a country which uses it. I think they're a good idea.
    xxx
    Dont people just use it as a holiday in all seriousness, though?

Thats what they do everywhere else. The teachers are the worse, because they dont have to pay, so its a free holiday.

Well when our school goes to Germany, they have to spend two days in a German school as part of it. I do think they spend quite a lot of time acting likes it's a holiday. I mean our school always goes to the German market and stuff, it's not very educational, nor gives them a real chance to use German. the exchanges have to be very carefully planned I think.
    xxx
    Last edited by Tamzi; 17-04-2006 at 15:24.
    Hiro: ...but you flying man! WHOOOOSSSHHH!
    Nathan: Would you keep it down?
    Hiro: ...whooooosh.

I don't think it would make a difference, don't know why though

Thread Information