Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to stop hiccups

i always get hicups after laughing loads y is that? whats the point in hicups? theyre just really annoying & fustrating!!!!!!!! and if ur still laughing when ur hicup too it make u laugh even more and u never get rid of them! lol or is it just me?
    Last edited by xxloopylauraxx; 16-10-2005 at 21:50.

Also if you count back from 100 it helps too

"Hic!" You've just hiccuped for what seems like the tenth time since you finished your big dinner. Wonder where these funny noises are coming from? The part to blame is your diaphragm (say: die-uh-fram). This is a dome-shaped muscle at the bottom of your chest, and all hiccups start here.

The diaphragm almost always works perfectly. It pulls down when you inhale to help pull air into the lungs, and it pushes up when you exhale to help push air out of the lungs. But sometimes the diaphragm becomes irritated, and when this happens, it pushes up in a jerky way that makes your breath come out differently from how it normally does. When this irregular breath hits your voice box, you're left with a big hiccup.

Some things that irritate the diaphragm are eating too quickly or too much, an irritation in the stomach or the throat, or feeling nervous or excited. Almost all cases of the hiccups last only a few minutes. Some cases of the hiccups can last for days or weeks, but this is very unusual, and it's usually a sign of another medical problem.

You've probably heard lots of suggestions for how to get rid of hiccups, and maybe you've even tried a few. Holding your breath and counting to 10 is one way some people can get rid of their hiccups; other people say that drinking from the "wrong" side of a glass of water is the way to become hiccup-free. Putting sugar under your tongue might work, too. And maybe the most famous treatment - having someone jump out and scare you when you're not expecting it - helps some people wave good-bye to their hiccups.

another way that always works for me is, i take 9 sips of water while someone covers my ears.

i hold my breath - it generally works!

i hold my breath and then drink water

Quote Originally Posted by SoapRach
    i hold my breath - it generally works!
    That's what i do.
    Thanks to Abi for my fab avatar!

i hold my breath and gulp three times, usually works for me!!
    POOKIE

shannon always gets hiccups after a feed even after ive winded her so i let he have a bit more milk and they go

I take a sip of water, hold it in my mouth for 10 seconds, swallow it, and repeat the process after a further 10 seconds has passed.

Thread Information