EastEnders newcomer Hersha Verity has teased her character Dr Nina's connection to the Panesars.

Dr. Nina Gupta was among the staff unveiled for the Panesars' new surgery in Tuesday's episode, after making a house call earlier this year to help Kheerat through severe stomach pains.

While Dr. Nina shined during the opening, a journalist threatened to bring down the surgery by warning Ash of a planned news story claiming she euthanised a patient.

Ash promised mum Suki that she'd take care of the blackmailing nurse behind the story, but the family's house of cards could come tumbling down ? and take Dr Nina down with it!

Hersha Verity was more positive about her character's future when she chatted about her role as the new Panesar family confidant.

"When I read Nina?s character breakdown, I thought, I want to play her," she said. "She sounds like she has all these qualities I aspire to have. Complete confidence, no fear of failure, goes after what she wants.

"So that side of her I was so drawn to, then her connection to the Panesar family was interesting.

"There is a lot more to her that is slowly starting to unfold. She has a few wants and goals of her own that go far beyond the surgery. So I am excited for that to unfold!"

The actress suggested Dr Nina might be someone Ash can trust during this tense time, adding: "I think Ash is a great character. I think she is feisty and speaks her mind, she can be quite emotional and reactive, but Nina likes that. I feel like perhaps maybe she could be a good sounding board for Ash when it comes to pleasing her mum. I would hope they get on really well and be a team."

As for the rest of the Panesars, Hersha said: "They are so lovely, Balvinder [Sopal, Suki] is so lovely. They are so welcoming, Jaz [Singh Deol, Kheerat], Gurlaine [Kaur Garcha, Ash] and Shiv [Jalota, Vinny], they are so genuine. Their energy has helped me feel at home. I couldn?t speak more highly of them."

Hersha spoke about how landing a role on EastEnders had long been a career ambition because she's been a fan most of her life.

"My dad wouldn?t let me watch it as a kid so it?s quite amusing now. Walking onto The Square it felt really exciting and just very familiar. There are moments ? I am very early on in my acting career where I just take a moment and I am so grateful to have this experience. There is nothing like this kind of experience, it?s so iconic. Just a part of British culture, so it?s exciting, but that can be quite nerve-wracking!"

With such a personal connection to EastEnders, it's understandable that landing a role in the series came as a "complete shock".

"[I] went out and celebrated straight away," she recalled. "My experience has been lovely, everyone from the crew to the cast, hair and make-up and wardrobe ? they are all so lovely and down to earth.

"The atmosphere on set is so relaxed and laid back that you very quickly feel at home. When I was walking through the corridors and saw the pictures on the wall, I felt a real sense of history. It just felt like I was part of something very special. You are stepping into history. It is a really nice place to experience being an actor."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/eas...ases-newcomer/