Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbours axed by Ch5!

DS article. Characters Kyle, Roxy & Ned to be leaving soon:

Neighbours lines up cast exits ahead of show's final months
    Farewell, Ramsay Street.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...ts-march-2022/

Neighbours spoilers follow.

Neighbours will be waving goodbye to some popular characters as the show heads into its final months on screen.

The long-running soap recently announced that it will end production in June after 37 years. The final episode will air in August in the UK, while Australian fans will see the finale in September.

In the coming weeks, fans will see newlyweds Kyle Canning (Chris Milligan) and Roxy Willis (Zima Anderson) leave the programme.

Colette Mann, who played the role of Sheila Canning, announced the pair's departures in a recent Isolation Interviews chat with Hospital Radio Reading.

She shared the news while discussing her own abrupt exit from Neighbours.

Digital Spy understands that Kyle and Roxy's final scenes will air in mid-April at UK pace.

Meanwhile, a Neighbours insider has told Digital Spy that Ned Willis will also be departing the show as actor Ben Hall has reached the end of his contract.

It's thought that the three cast departures were already planned and storylined before the news came through that Neighbours would be ending.

Chris Milligan first took on the role of Kyle in 2008 and stuck around until 2016. He reprised the role in 2019.

Zima has been playing Roxy since 2019, while Ben landed the role of Ned in 2016 and became a regular two years later.

Neighbours bosses are now focused on giving the show a fitting finale following the news that production will be ending.

Harold Bishop (Ian Smith) and Shane Ramsay (Peter O'Brien) are already confirmed to be returning in the final weeks, while more returnees will be announced at a later date.

A spokesperson for production company Fremantle recently said: "It is with sadness that after nearly 37 years and almost 9000 episodes broadcast, we are confirming that Neighbours will cease production in the summer.

"Following the loss of a key broadcast partner in the UK, and despite a search for alternative funding, we currently have no option but to rest the show.

"Everyone at Neighbours has been overwhelmed by the love and support from the audience since the news came out.

"The show has brought a sunny slice of Australia into the homes of millions of viewers around the world launching the careers of dozens of household names along the way.

"But as this chapter of Ramsay Street comes to a close, we promise to do everything we can to give the show the send-off it deserves."

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 6pm on Channel 5 and streams on My5. In Australia, the show airs Mondays to Thursdays at 6.30pm on 10 Peach and streams on 10 Play.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (14-03-2022)

DS article:

Neighbours boss confirms new family and mystery tragedy in show's final months
    "There is a wonderful sense of renewal."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...amily-tragedy/

Neighbours spoilers follow.

Neighbours will see a new family move into Ramsay Street as well as a mystery tragedy in its final few months.

In a recent interview with Inside Soap, executive producer Jason Herbison teased what viewers can expect from the iconic Australian soap before the final episodes air in the UK, and it sounds like there is plenty of drama to look forward to.

"What I can say is that the remaining few months have a bit of everything that we know and love Neighbours for," he said.

"There's heightened drama, unexpected visitors, an untimely tragedy, lots of romantic entanglements, and also plenty of Neighbours fun too. We also have a new family moving into the street, so there is a wonderful sense of renewal as well."

No details were revealed about who the new family is, but there's a chance that it won't be entirely new characters.

Some fans have been speculating that the Rodwells could be a greater presence in the months ahead. Teenager Sadie (Emerald Chan) was recently part of a major storyline that saw Zara Selwyn being framed for a series of fires, while her father Andrew (Lloyd Will) has made occasional appearances as the local police sergeant and Levi Canning's boss.

Sadie's mother Wendy (Candice Leask) has also made a couple of appearances.

Of course, there's also the possibility that the family will be a cast of characters we haven't met before.

As for which house on Ramsay Street may become vacant, Number 26 seems like the most likely option.

Sheila Canning (Colette Mann) had an off-screen exit earlier this year, while Kyle Canning (Chris Milligan) and Roxy Willis (Zima Anderson) are set to depart in the coming weeks. That leaves Levi in the house by himself.

Similarly, Herbison didn't give away anything about what the upcoming "untimely tragedy" is and who it will impact the most.

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 6pm on Channel 5 and streams on My5. In Australia, the show airs Mondays to Thursdays at 6.30pm on 10 Peach and streams on 10 Play.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (16-03-2022), Ruffed_lemur (15-03-2022)

should the writers, producers, actors etc take any 'blame' for the show being cancelled?

Channel 5 cutting costs or deciding it doesn't make enough money is one thing, but why.. you can say it's a show from a different era, fine, maybe it is, but Eastenders (~3m viewers) and Coronation St (~5.5m viewers) are still going. Channel 5 messed around with the time slot, Ch 10 messed around with the weekly schedule. If we accept it's not as popular as it once was, let's work out why that is. H&A gets approx twice as many viewers per episode (400k vs 200k ish). It is only 3yrs younger than Neighbours.

For me, yes, the writers and producers do take a lot of the responsibility. It's been a poor show for a while. Repetitive storylines, bad writing outweighing the good elements and replacing departing actors with guest spots. Paul and Terese ad infinitum, disaster holidays (another one coming up soon...).

Reading the spoilers for the upcoming episodes we have what sounds like a big angle with one of the schoolkids' grandparents. Who cares. As of right now, I don't think we have met this character yet. Another new girl coming in with a secret about to get into a love story with Nicolette, for a change.

When Tyler was arrested and sent to jail it was a case of 'you were there, it must be you'. Case closed. This happens so often. Jane discussing Zara last week - you were there, someone said it was you, you're guilty and Amy is a terrible parent. The end. Same thing happened when she was suspended. You're suspended, then one of the bad girls sticks up for her, well okay then, not suspended anymore. Ah, that easy is it?!

Aaron, David and this new guy from the hospital. Never seen him before, now he's David's best friend, coincidentally also gay and newly-single, and Aaron (why don't you go to work anymore Aaron!!!) is insanely jealous.

Run out of ideas? budget constraints? changing plans due to covid (which i can believe because of the lockdowns)? or just a decline in quality.

I used to watch Neighbours on TV, then I moved to watching it later on Tenplay, now I can go 2-3 days without watching it and forgetting it was even on.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danners9 For This Useful Post:

courseiam (21-03-2022), kaz21 (21-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Danners9 View Post
    should the writers, producers, actors etc take any 'blame' for the show being cancelled?

Channel 5 cutting costs or deciding it doesn't make enough money is one thing, but why.. you can say it's a show from a different era, fine, maybe it is, but Eastenders (~3m viewers) and Coronation St (~5.5m viewers) are still going. Channel 5 messed around with the time slot, Ch 10 messed around with the weekly schedule. If we accept it's not as popular as it once was, let's work out why that is. H&A gets approx twice as many viewers per episode (400k vs 200k ish). It is only 3yrs younger than Neighbours.

For me, yes, the writers and producers do take a lot of the responsibility. It's been a poor show for a while. Repetitive storylines, bad writing outweighing the good elements and replacing departing actors with guest spots. Paul and Terese ad infinitum, disaster holidays (another one coming up soon...).

Reading the spoilers for the upcoming episodes we have what sounds like a big angle with one of the schoolkids' grandparents. Who cares. As of right now, I don't think we have met this character yet. Another new girl coming in with a secret about to get into a love story with Nicolette, for a change.

When Tyler was arrested and sent to jail it was a case of 'you were there, it must be you'. Case closed. This happens so often. Jane discussing Zara last week - you were there, someone said it was you, you're guilty and Amy is a terrible parent. The end. Same thing happened when she was suspended. You're suspended, then one of the bad girls sticks up for her, well okay then, not suspended anymore. Ah, that easy is it?!

Aaron, David and this new guy from the hospital. Never seen him before, now he's David's best friend, coincidentally also gay and newly-single, and Aaron (why don't you go to work anymore Aaron!!!) is insanely jealous.

Run out of ideas? budget constraints? changing plans due to covid (which i can believe because of the lockdowns)? or just a decline in quality.

I used to watch Neighbours on TV, then I moved to watching it later on Tenplay, now I can go 2-3 days without watching it and forgetting it was even on.
    What spoils it for me is they have accidents on a weekly basis

Neighbours Finale to air on Monday 1 August 2022. There will be double episodes from Monday June 13 in Australia to catch up to UK pace & so the last ever episode will be in sync.

tvtonight.com.au article:

10 Peach doubles up on Neighbours episodes in time for finale
    Network 10 will screen double episodes from June so that Aussie fans are not spoiled by episodes screening in the UK.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2022/03/10-...or-finale.html

EXCLUSIVE:

Neighbours fans will be relieved to know that the last ever episode will screen in Australia in sync with Britain.

From Monday June 13, double episodes will screen on 10 Peach, addressing a recent lag which has affected episodes in Australia.

A Network 10 spokesperson told TV Tonight, ?From Monday June 13, friends of Ramsay St can tune into double the fun, double the action with double episodes to celebrate the final season of Neighbours.

?The ultimate series finale will air on Monday August 1.?

This avoids fans learning of storyline spoilers for the final 6 weeks of the show.

Australian fans and TV critics had previously urged 10 to address the irregularity after it became clear the show would not continue beyond mid year.

This week 10 vice president and chief content officer Beverley McGarvey lamented the show?s fate after producers Fremantle were unable to secure a new British broadcaster.

We would love to be able to keep doing it. But unfortunately, unless they find international partners, it?s not possible for us to continue, ?she said.

The DS article:

Neighbours confirms airdate for final ever episode as UK and Australia gap to close
    There's still some time to prepare yourself.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...-uk-channel-5/
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 31-03-2022 at 21:12.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (31-03-2022), Perdita (31-03-2022), Ruffed_lemur (31-03-2022)

Neighbours has released its final cast photo on the show's official Instagram page. The image was captioned, 'Class of 2022 #Neighbours':

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...600&vt=2&sim=1

EDIT:

Neighbours releases final ever cast photo ahead of show ending
    Neighbours has commemorated the "class of 2022".

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...al-cast-photo/

And:

Neighbours releases final cast photo after it was announced the beloved TV series would be ending after 37 years.

Neighbours has released its final cast photo as the long-running TV series begins to wrap up.

In a post on the show's official Instagram page on Wednesday, a photo was shared of the cast enjoying a picnic in a park.

The image was captioned, 'Class of 2022 #Neighbours', alongside a yellow love heart emoji...............

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...es-ending.html
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 12-05-2022 at 09:39.

New short Channel 10 promo/tweet for the end of Neighbours "It's time to say goodbye... how will it all end?":

https://twitter.com/Channel10AU/stat...24534771343360
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 19-05-2022 at 13:43.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (19-05-2022)

Following on from my previous post there is now the DS article on the new promo:

Neighbours teases mystery death in trailer for show's final months
    Who will meet their end?

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...-final-months/

Neighbours has teased a mysterious death in a new trailer for the soap's final months.

Fans will know that the series will be sadly coming to an end this August, though details of how exactly it will bow out remain under wraps.

However, a new trailer has been released teasing the final episodes, with the question "who leaves forever?" We then see footage of a funeral scene and a coffin being carried.

While this may be stock footage or specially-filmed for the trailer, it nevertheless appears to suggest that a death is coming.

https://twitter.com/Channel10AU/stat...inal-months%2F

Neighbours released the soap's last ever cast photo last week, paying tribute to its "class of 2022", emotionally reminding us that the end really is in sight.

The soap is set to see the return of a number of familiar faces for the final episodes, including classic cast members Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan as Charlene and Scott Robinson.

Speaking about bringing the duo on board, producer Jason Herbison recently admitted that it wasn't too difficult to convince them.

"Both Kylie and Jason needed very little persuading at all ? they both appreciate the show and the special role that it has played in their careers," he told Inside Soap.

"It's a lovely show of respect to Neighbours, and I was thrilled when they said yes. It didn't feel right to end the show without them."

He added: "I was there on the day of filming, and it was a very moving experience and one that will remain with me well beyond the series wrapping in August. I feel very privileged to have been part of it."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (19-05-2022), Ruffed_lemur (19-05-2022)

I?ve seen a lot of rumors it?s Paul and that?s why so many family members are back. But I don?t know, they could be back because the Robinsons have been ont the street for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by kaz21 View Post
    I?ve seen a lot of rumors it?s Paul and that?s why so many family members are back. But I don?t know, they could be back because the Robinsons have been ont the street for so long.
    Agreed kaz. Yes, I have been seeing a lot of the rumours that it will be Paul that dies at the end, but I am also not so sure that it will be him (or anyone at all?). I think in an earlier interview when it was first announced the show had been axed, the Producer hinted that there may be a death/funeral coming up, & then when it was mentioned that Harold will be returning, all the speculation was that it would be him who dies (ie he would come back because he was dying & wanted to say his goodbyes to Ramsay Street & the likes of Karl & Susan etc). But now it seems all the speculation has turned to the idea that it will be Paul. Like you say, I am not so sure.

There are also suggestions that the 'funeral' parts of the latest promo may be symbolic only & that they just relate to the 'death' of the show itself...We will see.

Thread Information