Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbours axed by Ch5!

The best way for it to end is the council decide to demolish Ramsay Street and the complex and turn it into units. Residents try and save it but fail. People come back to say goodbye to their childhood/life etc.

Then if it gets a reprieve in the future they can resume that it fell through.

The production company is expected to make an announcement today (Thursday) that Neighbours has been axed for good...

Neighbours axed for good as production company admits defeat

https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/02/neigh...o=newsnow-feed

Neighbours has been axed for good after Fremantle Media failed to find a new home for the Australian soap.

Neighbours will end this summer after four decades on our screens.

The beloved Australian soap first hit screens in 1985 and has delighted fans ever since, with household names appearing in Ramsay Street ? including Kylie Minogue, Liam Hemsworth, Jason Donovan, Alan Dale and Margot Robbie.

Neighbours has been a staple of the daytime TV schedule in the UK for years, and originally aired on BBC One until 2008, before it was moved to Channel 5.

Fremantle Media ? the production company that make Neighbours ? has extensively searched for a new home for the soap after Channel 5 announced their plans to drop it from schedules in a few months time.

The production company is set to make an announcement on Thursday (March 3), stating that they haven?t been successful in their attempt at finding another channel prepared to take on Neighbours.

A source told The Sun: ?Fremantle have not commented on the situation since the news broke about Channel 5. They have been working tirelessly to secure funding from other networks but sadly they?ve been unable to save the soap.

?The announcement will confirm that the soap will end this summer and that they have been overwhelmed by the love and support from the audience since the news broke.?

?There is a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes to make the final few weeks of Neighbours are truly special?, the source continued to the publication.

?They are still waiting to hear back from a number of former stars but Peter has agreed to return and will start filming in May.?

Ian Smith, aka Harold Bishop, has confirmed he will reprise his role while Kylie Minogue and Jason Donavon have both been approached in the hope they will return.

The Sun also revealed Peter O?Brien will reprise his role as Shane Ramsay.

Despite the news, fans are continuing to campaign in the hope the show will be saved.

A petition, that?s been created on Change.org, currently has over 61,000 signatures.

The dedicated Neighbours audience also managed to knock Ed Sheeran from the Amazon and iTunes music charts as the theme tune made it?s way to number 1.

Some of the other articles:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tv/break...ction-26369558

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...-gone-for-good

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ED-months.html

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entert...akers-26369475

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (03-03-2022)

Neighbours

We are so sorry to say that after nearly 37 years and almost 9000 episodes broadcast we have to confirm that Neighbours will cease production in June. Following the loss of our key broadcast partner in the UK and despite an extensive search for alternative funding, we simply have no option but to rest the show
    To our amazing, loyal fans, we know this is a huge disappointment, as it is to all of us on the team. We thank you for all your messages and support and promise to end the show on an incredible high. From here on, we are celebrating Neighbours.
    #celebratingneighbours

From Neighbours website.

Seeing how a lot of viewers complain about the storylines in Coronation Street and Emmerdale and EastEnders and maybe Hollyoaks too, I do not watch it, I wonder if it is time to pull the plug on them too... seems the humour that was shown in years gone by is missing, repeated storylines with partners cheating on each other, numerous Who Is The Daddy storylines then, a supposedly big drug lord terrorising a couple of people in a small town, serial killer in a small Yorkshire village ... etc. Having watched Corrie and Emmerdale for more years than I care to remember I find myself not being bothered if I miss an episode and have to watch it some time later on catch-up or the omnibus edition .. Maybe going out on a high is better and leaves viewers with sweet memories rather than stop watching because the shows no longer appeal ??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (03-03-2022)

Very saddened by this news. My mum and I have been watching it every weeknight together. It?s the only thing we really watch together on tv so that?s going to leave a big hole in our evenings :/

I wonder what they will do at the end, a meteor that wipes out everything and the people there? Zombie apocalypse? In 20 years time when they revive it, they bring back Isla and Abby who published a book about how they were the only ones to survive?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kyzaah For This Useful Post:

lizann (03-03-2022), Pantherboy (03-03-2022), Perdita (03-03-2022)

I'd just like it to end ( if it does ) in an ordinary " life goes on" way. Would make it better for it to hopefully return too.
    Last edited by Ruffed_lemur; 03-03-2022 at 16:36.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruffed_lemur For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (03-03-2022)

Nowtolove.com.au article:

"This is a sad day indeed": Neighbours star Alan Fletcher shares heartfelt plea following the soap's axing
    The actor has played Karl Kennedy for almost 28 years.

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...s-ending-71294

After nearly 37 years on the air, Neighbours will stop production in June marking the end of an era.

One person who's particularly rocked by this decision is Alan Fletcher, who has played Dr Karl Kennedy on the long-running soap since 1994.

"It's official, all attempts to #SaveNeighbours have been unsuccessful and #fremantle has confirmed the show will end production in June this year," Alan penned on Instagram.

"This is a sad day indeed. I want to express my deepest gratitude to the millions of fans all around the world who have supported our iconic drama for 37 wonderful years. And huge thanks to our broadcast partners @channel10au and @channel5_tv who have been incredible supporters of the show for so long.

Alan then pleaded with fans: "Please stick with the show right to the end because the final episodes will be an incredible celebration with returning characters and extraordinary story lines."

The actor continued by reflecting on his own Neighbours experience and gave a special shoutout to Jackie Woodburne who plays his on-screen wife Susan Kennedy.

"On a personal level @neighbours has been my creative home for almost 28 years. It has provided me with enormous artistic satisfaction and deep, everlasting friendships that I will treasure forever. Most especially my artistic partnership with the spectacular #jackiewoodburne who has truly made the journey the greatest joy imaginable.

"The show has also connected me to thousands of people who have supported my work on and offscreen through my music and stage appearances. I am filled with #gratitude #staytuned #celebrateneighbours #farewellneighbours #pleasestickwithus."

Past and present Neighbours cast members shared their support in the comments with Alan.

"Beautiful words mate. Sending lots of love," Rob Mills who played villain Finn Kelly wrote.

"Beautiful Alan. Congratulations on all you have built over the last 28 years. Xox," penned Lucy Durack.

Meanwhile Dan MacPherson remarked: "I'll never forget my time with the Kennedy's mate 🙏🏼❤️"

In 2019, Alan and Jackie reflected to TV WEEK on 25 years on working together on the soap.

"It's really marvellous. It's just a real honour to be part of television history in Australia," Alan said.

"25 years is an incredibly long time but it feels like yesterday!" Jackie added. "Time has gone so quickly and we've seen so many people come and gone. It's been wonderful."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (03-03-2022)

Shane Ramsay (Peter O'Brien) & Lucy Robinson (Melissa Bell) to make appearances before the show ends.

DS articles:

Neighbours to bring back Shane Ramsay ahead of show's final episodes
    Peter O'Brien last appeared as the character in 1987.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...inal-episodes/

Neighbours looks set to bring back another familiar face for the soap's final episodes this summer.

Earlier today (March 3), it was confirmed that the Australian soap would be coming to an end after 37 years on air after being unable to find further funding following Channel 5's decision to drop the show last month.

We already know that Harold Bishop (Ian Smith) will return to Ramsay Street, as confirmed by Dr Karl Kennedy actor Alan Fletcher ? who also teased further past names coming back ahead of the last episode in August.

It is now being reported (via The Sun) that Shane Ramsay (Peter O'Brien) will also be back, having made his debut in the soap's first-ever episode in 1985 before departing two years later.

Shane, who was the son of Max and Maria Ramsay and the nephew of Madge Bishop, was involved in a number of dramatic storylines during his short stint, including multiple car crashes and facing a manslaughter charge.

It comes after Fletcher recently said of the reunions: "I do know that it has been announced the wonderful Harold Bishop will return to Ramsay Street towards the end of the show.

"Someone from Karl's sordid past is definitely coming back and there are many, many other names in the pot.

"I can assure you that the producers are working very, very hard to try and entice some of the most loved characters from Neighbours to at least make some appearances."

Former star Jason Donovan has also teased the possibility of his character Scott Robinson and Charlene (Kylie Minogue) popping up.

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Mondays to Thursdays at 6.30pm on 10 Peach (Australia).

And:

Neighbours star Melissa Bell confirms return as Lucy Robinson
    "Everyone needs good Neighbours."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...lucy-robinson/

Melissa Bell has confirmed that she will be returning to Neighbours once again as Lucy Robinson.

The actress, who first appeared as the character all the way back in 1991, previously came back to the Ramsay Street soap last year for a short guest stint.

Revealing the latest news on her Instagram page, Melissa shared a picture from behind-the-scenes of a vineyard frequently shown on the soap alongside co-stars Richard Huggett (Glen Donnelly) and Tim Kano (Leo Tanaka).

"I'm Back !! Everyone needs good Neighbours #lucyrobinson," she captioned the snap.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cantxwwv...4-6ec4ccfc391d

The news comes as it was confirmed by production company Fremantle that the soap would be ending this year, after being unable to find new funding options following Channel 5's decision to drop it.

"It is with sadness that after nearly 37 years and almost 9,000 episodes broadcast, we are confirming that Neighbours will cease production in the summer," they said.

"Following the loss of a key broadcast partner in the UK, and despite a search for alternative funding, we currently have no option but to rest the show.

"Everyone at Neighbours has been overwhelmed by the love and support from the audience since the news came out.

"The show has brought a sunny slice of Australia into the homes of millions of viewers around the world launching the careers of dozens of household names along the way.

"But as this chapter of Ramsay Street comes to a close, we promise to do everything we can to give the show the send-off it deserves."

However, alongside Melissa returning, a number of other past faces will also be coming back into the fold ahead of the soap's conclusion, including Ian Smith as Harold Bishop, and reportedly Peter O'Brien as Shane Ramsay.

Some more might be in the frame too, according to Alan Fletcher (Dr Karl Kennedy), while former star Jason Donovan has suggested that he and Kylie Minogue could reunite as Scott and Charlene Robinson.

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Mondays to Thursdays at 6.30pm on 10 Peach (Australia).

DS article:

Neighbours producer rules out one possible ending for show
    "I would never."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...losion-ending/

Neighbours executive producer Jason Herbison has opened up on the soap ending for good and the one finale he would never consider.

It was recently announced that Channel 5 would no longer air the Australian series from this coming summer. Despite fans petitioning to save the long-running show, the cancellation became official today (March 3).

Ahead of the grand finale, Herbison discussed potential endings and returning guest stars ? including a certain someone named Kylie.

After the cast have insisted for the ending to be a joyful celebration of the soap's 37-year-long run, Herbison confirmed that no tragedies are to be expected.

"Ramsay Street is eternal and I like to think it will live on in the hearts and minds of the viewers, long after the final scene. I would never, ever blow it up," he told TV Tonight.

"The ending will be a celebration of the past and the present, with the door very much left open for a future."

The producer also said he has "a vision for the finale", though this might change before June, when the soap's very last episodes will wrap filming.

As for returning characters, he didn't rule out anyone coming back, not even pop star Kylie Minogue, who played mechanic Charlene Robinson on the show between 1986 and 1988.

"One of my great joys has been to bring back many former characters in recent years, which is something the show seemed reluctant to do prior," he said.

"So I'm definitely hoping some of these faces return along with others we haven't been able to lure back until now.

"I feel very strongly that the end must equally be a celebration of the current cast. Karl, Susan, Toadie and Paul have earned a very rightful place, front and centre."

As for trying to get Kylie back, he reassured fans, saying: "I'm doing everything you'd expect me to be doing!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (04-03-2022)

DS article:

Neighbours' story team finish work on soap after mapping out final episodes
    That's when good neighbours become good friends...

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...team-finished/

The writers for Neighbours got together in Rebekah Elmaloglou's fictional house for a gathering and food-filled final send-off.

Rebekah, who plays Terese Willis on the soap, lent her patio to the team and the garden table was filled with a spread to mark the story team's final day in the writers' room as they locked in the last episode.

Neighbours script producer Shane Isheev tweeted a multiple picture post to capture the moment and shared a few heartfelt words with his followers.

One Neighbours fan replied to the post, tweeting: "So so sad. But please know how much we fans truly appreciate all that you've done. The way you've woven drama, intrigue, emotion and humour has been outstanding. Even storylines that look ludicrous on paper have been brought to convincing life in your deft hands. We salute you."

Another fan replied to Shane, saying: "Thank you to you all for your amazing work on the #Neighbours stories - your passion for the show has shone through over the years & that's why the show is so beloved. So very sad for you all."

A third follower said: "Just when I'd stopped crying about the show ending, I'm off again.Heartfelt thanks to everyone for all the joy, drama and sheer entertainment they've bought me xxx."

The outpour of love and loyalty from fans comes after the reports last month that Neighbours was facing the axe.

A mainstay on the Channel 5 schedule, the broadcaster released an official statement to Digital Spy at the time confirming the news, with the hope to see it salvaged.

However, it's now been officially confirmed that the soap has been unable to secure funding from another network and will cease production after 37 years.

Nowtolove.com.au article:

EXCLUSIVE: Jackie Woodburne and Alan Fletcher reveal their "devastation" over Neighbours' axing and what fans can expect from the finale
    ''I was shocked and devastated.''

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...rl-susan-71388

Neighbours, as we know it today, is hard to imagine without Susan and Karl Kennedy.

After arriving in Ramsay Street in 1994, the couple have been through a lot. They've dealt with infidelity, divorce and remarriage. They've raised three of their own kids, and provided a warm home for countless lost youngsters passing through Erinsborough.

They've supported each other through illness and professional hardship. And, in true Neighbours style, they've encountered every natural disaster known to man.

But as we've watched the fictional couple overcome everything thrown at them over the past 28 years, we've come to know Karl and Susan as if they're members of our own family.

For the actors bringing the roles to life, the news that Neighbours is coming to an end is heartbreaking. After hearing that UK broadcaster Channel 5 wouldn't be renewing its contract to fund the drama, Jackie Woodburne, who plays Susan, struggled to believe it.

"I was shocked and devastated," Jackie, 66, tells TV WEEK. "I was heartbroken for all the young, up-and-coming actors and crew who will no longer have this amazing training ground. I will miss this place very much."

With confirmation that filming will cease in June, it's been a bitter pill to swallow for all the cast and crew.

"It's very sad for the hundreds of people who will lose their jobs," Alan Fletcher, 64, shares. "But I'm also gutted for the millions of fans who still watch the show right around the world, who are distraught at losing their favourite show."

While the pair are still coming to terms with the news, they promise the show will go out with a bang.

"I can't begin to imagine what kind of story will wrap up 38 years of TV history, but I hope it's upbeat and happy, showcases our fantastic cast and crew and leaves the fans satisfied," Jackie says.

Now that Neighbours' fate has been decided, Alan and Jackie are determined to celebrate a lifetime of "fun, laughter, drama, intense passion and humanity" that the show has brought audiences. But in the process, they can't help but reflect on where their dynamic partnership all began.

"I first met Fletch when I was cast as his sister in Cop Shop in 1982," Jackie says. "I thought he had terrific energy and was very funny. Pretty good-looking too!"

It was much the same for Alan: "I was struck by her beauty and sparkling personality," he recalls. "She lit up every room she entered."

From the get-go, the actors were on the same wavelength, and their characters ? two parents doing their best to raise﷯ three kids ? resonated with the public.

"I think the writers managed to imbue our characters with the sort of flaws and commendable qualities that resonated with viewers," Alan remembers. "Many fans tell me they see their own parents or themselves in Karl and Susan."

Since then, they have become unstoppable collaborators who can bring life to even the most challenging of plotlines. For Jackie, her hardest acting challenge was when Susan was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

"We had to tell a dramatic story, but keep it authentic and real," Jackie explains.

"So many people live with MS, and any wrong note would have had an immediate backlash. I think we got it right, but the portrayal of Susan's journey was challenging for all of us."

While Susan struggled to tackle the impact of MS, Alan's hardest moment as Karl was a little more light-hearted.

"Karl once became a pharmaceutical rep and uncovered a dodgy scheme to sell out-of-date medicines to the Third World," Alan says with a laugh. "It was a bizarre spy story that seemed out of character to me. Gave it all I had, of course!"

Although the pair have had all sorts of storylines, their favourite one is easy: the spicy love triangle between Susan, Karl and Izzy Hoyland (Natalie Bassingthwaighte).

"I loved that story, because it didn't follow cliched standards," Alan says.

"Karl wanted Izzy, but she certainly didn't want Karl ? until she discovered she was pregnant to a dead man. So Izzy pretended to love Karl and, by the time he discovered her deception and dumped﷯ her, Izzy really was in love with Karl," Alan explains.

"It was wonderful irony and it didn't end there!"

Jackie agrees. "The big affairs and marriage break-ups were incredible to play," she says. "A standout storyline was the day Susan and Karl remarried on a boat on the Thames and Izzy turned up and had her baby there and then!"

But despite Karl's serial infidelity, and fathering a child with Izzy, Susan forgave him and they eventually reunited. Over the years, fans have wondered why Susan never gave Karl a taste of his own medicine.

"I don't think anyone would have blamed Susan if she'd had a revenge affair, but that's just ﷯not how she rolls!" Jackie says with a laugh.

"Susan knows Karl better than anyone and has found a happy life with him, knowing that the past can't be changed, but that a good future is still possible because the flaws are accepted on both sides."

Behind the scenes on Neighbours lay a whole team of writers and production crew, working tirelessly to film hours of content we never thought would end. In the Aussie entertainment industry, the set became known as the ultimate training ground for young actors.

For Jackie, mentoring was a big reason she remained with the show for so long.

"I love working with young actors," she says. "I love seeing them become skilled performers, and offering advice if I think it will help them. They reciprocate with their enthusiasm and energy, so I get a lot in return.

"Watching young actors have a breakthrough moment in their work and seeing the joy in their discovery is something I will always cherish."

Alan feels differently. "I've never felt like a mentor," he says. "In fact, I've﷯ learnt so much from young actors. That'﷯s the beauty of an ensemble. We all thrive through our joint work."

Now, after almost 30 years in Neighbours, Alan and Jackie are preparing themselves for a new beginning without Susan and Karl, and their professional partnership.

But for viewers at home, the farewell might be far harder. After all, we're saying goodbye to the mum and dad of Australian television.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (14-03-2022), Ruffed_lemur (13-03-2022)

Thread Information