Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Neighbours axed by Ch5!

DS article:

Neighbours star Rebekah Elmaloglou shares UK soap ambition after show axe
    From Ramsay Street to...?

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...oglou-uk-soap/

Neighbours' final episode is just days away from airing, so it seems fitting that the cast are reflecting on their time in Erinsborough ? and what might lie ahead for them in the future.

One of those stars is Rebekah Elmaloglou, who plays Terese Willis on the Aussie soap, with the actress admitting that she isn't quite ready to quit soapland just yet.

Ahead of viewers' last ever trip to Ramsay Street, which will air in the UK next Friday (July 29), Rebekah revealed that she has "always wanted to play an Aussie cop".

And she's hopeful that a series in the UK would welcome her aboard to do just that.

"I love British cop shows," said, angling for a Happy Valley stint. "My husband and I are addicted to Happy Valley with Sarah Lancashire. We love those sorts of shows, so I'd love to play a detective or a cop in one of those types of shows."

Rebekah is also open to joining a British soap, too, calling the UK's love of all things soap "massive".

"They've got some soaps in England, so to me they've got a huge, popular idea, massive," she said. "Go and work on a soap in the UK, why not?"

As for which fictional town she'd like to pay a visit to, the Neighbours icon is keeping an open mind, happy to visit anywhere from Walford to Weatherfield.

"I don't know which one, they're all amazing ? and they've all got such longevity like Home and Away and Neighbours had. There's quite a few, isn't there?

"There's EastEnders, Coronation Street, Hollyoaks, and Emmerdale. I mean, it's just amazing. I don't know, whoever would have me really!"

Watch this space!

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 6pm on Channel 5 and streams on My5. The series finale will air in the UK on July 29 at 9pm on Channel 5.

In Australia, the show airs Mondays to Thursdays at 6.30pm on 10 Peach and streams on 10 Play. The series finale will air in Australia on July 28 at 7.30pm, simulcast on 10 and 10 Peach.

Neighbours finale promo 'Time to Say Goodbye':

https://youtu.be/-5yHLweN3Jg

And Madeleine West's (Dee) interview on the show 'Studio 10' - her favourite Neighbours memories:

https://youtu.be/KLVU41UhN_g

(hopefully these links work!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (23-07-2022)

Memories

I have been watching Neighbours, with a few breaks, from the very beginning. I remember Des praying for Daphne to survive ? G? day God, Des Clarke here??. Kerry being shot by duck hunters, Toadie and Dees wedding and numerous arrivals of new characters who were somehow related to someone already on the street. Even more memories come back, like Harold being swept off the rocks and turning up years later as Ted, and a more lighthearted one of Joe burying a casserole in the garden and holding a funeral in case the contents contained Katie?s lost rabbit, (it didn?t)!
    Thanks for all the years Neighbours.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toby2 For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (22-07-2022), Perdita (23-07-2022), Ruffed_lemur (23-07-2022)

Latest finale promo:

https://youtu.be/gf9NiMIhY-U

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Perdita (23-07-2022), Ruffed_lemur (23-07-2022)

DS article:

10 Neighbours stories that were axed after soap's cancellation
    Things could have been so different.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...ed-storylines/

Most fans agreed that Neighbours had a fitting ending when the heartwarming final episode aired last month, but getting to that point wasn't easy for the show's writers and storyliners.

Channel 5 announced its decision to cancel the show in February, leaving the soap's team with just four months to map out and film the finale.

As you'd expect with any long-running continuing drama, there were plans for huge storylines beyond that point which sadly had to be scrapped ? as we've heard in recent interviews from some of our Neighbours favourites.

Here, we're rounding up 10 storylines that fell by the wayside or were axed altogether.

1. Karl and Susan's money worries

The beginning of the year featured a devastating setback for the Kennedys when Karl foolishly invested their life savings into Montana Marcel's new start-up company. The money was lost when Montana was arrested, leaving Susan furious with Karl.

At the time, many fans suspected that this storyline had been specially written to set up the final weeks of Neighbours and a possible departure for Karl and Susan.

The opposite turned out to be true, as the storyline ? which would have run for longer ? was largely forgotten about once the nostalgia of the final months kicked in.

2. David's shock departure

Before the axe fell on Neighbours, Takaya Honda had decided that 2022 would be his final year in the role of David Tanaka. This wasn't announced to fans, and plans for him to be written out were ultimately scrapped when the show was cancelled.

David's dramatic final months in Erinsborough, which included Gareth Bateman's death and being sent to prison, were all originally intended to lead up to his departure from the show.

In a recent chat with Digital Spy, Takaya explained: "The story would have gone on for longer and it would have been different. They've had to change things to shorten it, but hopefully it's still had the same impact.

"Even though it's shortened ? and I only have a vague idea of what they had planned if it kept going ? I don't think the audience will feel robbed of that story having closure.

"There was still so much room, within the on-screen time we had, to tell the story fully and in an enjoyable way. It wasn't any less of an exciting rollercoaster ride."

3. Mackenzie's happy ending

Georgie Stone, who played Mackenzie Hargreaves, also told Digital Spy that 2022 was likely to have been her final year on the show regardless of whether it continued or not.

Reflecting on how the Neighbours axing news leaked before cast were told, Georgie explained: "It's not fun to find out that you're losing your job via social media.

"I think I was going to leave at some point this year anyway, but I was sad that there wouldn't be future generations of young actors who get to have this experience on the show."

The show's team had tentative plans to give Mackenzie a hopeful new chapter after the tragic death of her husband Hendrix Greyson. With Hendrix dying just a few weeks before Neighbours ended, there wasn't time to explore this on screen.

Script producer Shane Isheev tweeted in June: "[Hendrix's death] was planned before we knew the show was ending because we were losing the actor. And the beautiful Georgie also wanted Mack to have the FULL soap experience.

"Trust me, had we continued, we had plans for Mack to find love again and have her happily ever after."

4. Byron as a regular

Jane Harris's son Byron Stone arrived on screen in early July, but left again before the finale. Neighbours was axed after Joe Klocek had been cast in the role, so he would have played the character either way.

The original plan would have seen Byron move onto Ramsay Street as a regular character, with some big storylines planned for him.

Shane Isheev told Digital Spy: "He is a character that we would have got a lot of mileage out of, and he would have stuck around long-term."

5. Victor's arrival shakes up life for Jane

It would have been a busy year all round for Jane's family, as Isheev also confirmed that plans were in the works for Nicolette and Byron's father Victor to join Erinsborough.

There wasn't time to explore this storyline before Neighbours ended, so the plot had to be scrapped.

Charlotte Chimes, who played Nicolette Stone, later told Digital Spy: "It's a shame that a few things that I knew were coming up for [Nicolette] aren't happening now, as I would have loved to have been able to enjoy those stories.

"Nicolette's dad was going to be coming and we didn't have time for that. That was one thing I was really looking forward to ? exploring the Jane and Nicolette dynamic and how the dad would affect that."

In a separate chat with Chatterbox Radio, Isheev explained: "We even know who we wanted to play that role. Vic would have come in and been a bit of a charmer. I think, if Clive and Jane had stayed together, he probably would have tempted Jane away from Clive. Maybe putting the moves on Wendy and charming Vera.

"Karl and Susan lost all that money with the Montana storyline. He would have hooked into that and maybe even made things worse for them."

6. The slow road to Paul and Terese's reunion

Let's face it, the Neighbours team were always going to reunite Paul and Terese before the show ended. However, some fans questioned the execution of the plot, coming so soon after Paul had cruelly schemed to destroy Terese's professional reputation following their split.

In his post-finale chat with Digital Spy, executive producer Jason Herbison confirmed that there would have been a much slower build-up to the 'Praise' reunion if the show had continued.

Herbison explained: "In a perfect world we would have taken longer to reunite them. But with Paul, I think it's a case of better the devil you know.

"Terese hasn't always walked a straight line and they are each other's equal. I'm glad I reunited them and I don't think Paul will ever change. But as Terese wrote on her note, she accepts that. That doesn't mean she won't end up ripping up the note!"

7. An extra Rodwell

Neighbours bosses had plans for at least one extra member of the Rodwells when they first devised the family.

However, with limited screen time available to give the clan when Neighbours was axed, this character was removed from scripts and the team chose to introduce just one child of Andrew and Wendy.

Candice Leask, who played Wendy, recently told Digital Spy: "Initially there was meant to be a younger son. Then when we had an end date, they decided they were just going to have Sadie as the daughter."

8. Wendy's past revealed

Wendy caused a stir with her eager-to-please ways when she first moved to Ramsay Street. However, there were reasons in Wendy's backstory to explain this attitude, which viewers never got to find out about.

Candice Leask told us: "Wendy's storyline was going to develop and unravel. They were going to explore why she was the way she was. It would have been cool to find out why she wanted everyone to like her. I think she was full of anxiety when she went to talk to people."

9. More drama for Terese and Estelle

Terese's mother Estelle was another character introduced at the eleventh hour for a limited run, but original plans for the show's future would have seen her feature in a different storyline.

Shane Isheev told Digital Spy: "We didn't want to miss out on seeing some of those faces show up, so that's why we still have Byron, and we still have Estelle ? just so we can see them.

"We had another really big story for Terese and Estelle that we sadly can't tell now."

10. Erinsborough earthquake

Shane Isheev has also confirmed that David's prison storyline was originally supposed to feature some familiar faces from the show's past, including 2016 villain Jacka Hills and fan favourite Darcy Tyler.

He told Chatterbox Radio: "One of the original ideas I had for sending David to prison was him meeting some of the past villains of the show.

"We were working to potentially doing an earthquake, which would have resulted in a big mass breakout in the prison. That was also an opportunity to spruce up some of the sets in Erinsborough.

"I wanted to do a mass prison breakout, where iconic villains from Neighbours past team up and wreak havoc on the show."

Neighbours has now come to an end, but catch-up episodes are available via My 5 (UK) and 10 Play (Australia).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (16-08-2022)

DS article:

Former EastEnders star Jo Joyner finishes filming new drama with Neighbours stars
    Riptide is coming to Channel 5 soon.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...s-ben-turland/

EastEnders' Jo Joyner has wrapped filming on her new drama Riptide, and she has shared some snaps from her time on the show while telling us what a lovely time she had filming it.

Taking to Instagram to share her experience about what it was like filming in Melbourne, Jo said the city would "forever hold a special place in my heart".

"It's been an intense shoot, the fastest pace with the most chilled of crews. I've fallen in love with Melbourne's friendly people, its urban architecture, endless art and graffiti, incredible food, and welcoming vibe.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CheqYjwh...2-873fa2f95719

"This job was made all the better by the opportunity it gave to catch up with family we haven't seen for many years."

Accompanying the positive words are some photos from her time in Australia, and Neighbours fans will see some familiar faces with both Ben Turland (Hendrix Greyson) and Scott Major (director and Lucas Fitzgerald star) amongst them.

Ben and Scott are not the only Erinsborough locals on the show as Peter O'Brien (Shane Ramsay), Ally Fowler (Zoe Davies/Nina Williams), and Pia Miranda (Karen Oldman) are all also part of the cast.

As for the plot of Riptide, it focuses on Amanda (Joyner) who has to deal with her husband vanishing while out for a morning surf. While many thought he had died after being caught in a riptide, there may be more to what happened than anybody realises.

Riptide is the first production to be filmed in the studio that was home to Neighbours before filming wrapped for good earlier this year.

It is the second joint drama venture between Channel 5 and Australia, and it is once again helmed by Jason Herbison. The last show, Lie with Me, aired last year and also featured an Eastenders actress, that time Charlie Brooks, alongside Neighbours alumni Phoebe Roberts, Brett Tucker and Caroline Gillmer.

Neighbours has now come to an end, but catch-up episodes are available via My 5 (UK) and 10 Play (Australia).

DS article:

Neighbours farewell tour heading for Australia after strong UK sales
    The soap stars are visiting their homebase.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...our-australia/

The Neighbours farewell tour's strong ticket sales in the UK has resulted in a "one-off special event" being announced for Melbourne, Australia next year.

Kicking off in March, cities such as Manchester, Cardiff and Edinburgh will play host to at least five cast members from the cancelled Aussie soap as they roll back the years in packed-out venues.

Annie Jones (Jane Harris), Ryan Moloney (Toadie Rebecchi), Jackie Woodburne (Susan Kennedy), Alan Fletcher (Karl Kennedy) and April Rose Pengilly (Chloe Brennan) will all appear.

On Tuesday (August 23), Neighbours confirmed that the tour will also be visiting Australia next April, with ticket details available soon.

https://twitter.com/neighbours/statu...r-australia%2F

"MELBOURNE! Following the fantastic response to the UK Neighbours: The Farewell Tour, we are thrilled to announce that Neighbours: The Farewell Show will be coming to Melbourne for a one-off special event in April 2023," a tweet read.

"Date, venue, and pre-sale details to follow soon!"

On the accompanying poster, it was stated that the full cast for this show will be revealed in due course.

In June, Maple Tree Entertainment producer Dean Elliott said of the UK tour: "When Neighbours: Live in Conversation sold out within 24 hours, we knew that the love for the show could see it tour the UK, and there is no better time to take to the road than to mark the end and to honour its rich and lengthy history.

"We can't wait to put on a show that the fans will love and deserve."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (25-08-2022)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Danners9 For This Useful Post:

Aussieguy (18-11-2022), Pantherboy (17-11-2022), Perdita (17-11-2022), Ruffed_lemur (18-11-2022)

The most incredible news has just landed. @neighbours is back in a deal with @amazonfreevee and @channel10au. Returns in 2023!!!!!!!!!

From Alan Fletcher's Facebook page

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Aussieguy (18-11-2022), Pantherboy (17-11-2022)

The Daily Telegraph article (It is subscription only so I can't include the link):

Neighbours to return to TV screens, months after it was axed
    Five months after the final episode of popular TV show Neighbours went to air, the long-running soapie has been thrown a lifeline.

Neighbours has been thrown an unexpected lifeline.

Five months after the final episode of the popular TV soap went to air, producers Fremantle have secured Amazon Freevee and Prime Video as international partners.

The move will see the show brought back to life, with Channel 10 to broadcast in Australia.

It is major news considering the global headlines when news broke the show had been shelved after a 37 year run.

Fremantle Australia CEO Greg Woods said: ?The love for Neighbours is undeniable and we have been determined to explore every possible avenue to bring it back for loyal fans across the world.

?We are beyond thrilled to have secured this landmark deal with Amazon Freevee, along with Network 10 in Australia, long-term and passionate supporters of the show,? he said.

?We will be going back into the writing room immediately, and production for this wonderful series will begin next year. Neighbours has been so important for the Victorian production community, and along with our partners, will provide new opportunities on both sides of the camera. We cannot wait to get started.?

Actors Jackie Woodburne, Alan Fletcher, Stefan Dennis and Ryan Moloney will return to the show with more cast to be announced.

Executive producer Jason Herbison returns to the production at Fremantle and Rick Maier as EP at Ten.

Production is slated to commence early next year, with a world premiere scheduled for mid-2023.

The show will continue to be filmed at the Nunawading, Melbourne, studios at which it has been based since its launch nearly four decades ago.

Melbourne?s Pin Oak Court is the location for the outside scenes of fictional Ramsay Street, Erinsborough.

?We are absolutely delighted to welcome Neighbours back home to Network 10, and while we loved the finale earlier this year and appreciated the incredible support from the cast, crew and fans, we continued to hold a small glimmer of hope that one day it would be possible to resume the series,? Network Ten boss Beverley McGarvey said.

?We are grateful for the tenacity and determination displayed by Fremantle in securing a new production partner so our association could continue.

?A much-loved stalwart of our program schedule for over 35 years, we can?t wait to bring back the perfect blend of soap and sunshine to Australian audiences which will also add a fantastic boost to the Victorian and wider production community.?

The finale episode of Neighbours drew a national audience of more than 1.48 million viewers when it aired in July.

It saw the return of much-loved former cast members, including Guy Pearce, Kylie Minogue, Jason Donovan, Margot Robbie and Natalie Imbruglia.

The show was axed when Channel 5 in the UK did not renew its production deal with Fremantle.

It had previously aired for decades on the BBC.

And now also from news.com.au:

Neighbours returns months after being axed
    The final episode of Neighbours aired in July and featured guest appearances from former stars Kylie Minogue, Jason Donovan and Margot Robbie.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...40462d5612c226

Neighbours will make a triumphant return to TV screens months after being axed.

The iconic Australian TV show ended in July after 37 years after Fremantle failed to find it a new home.

The long-running soap will air on Channel 10 - its old home - and will be available to stream for free on Amazon Freevee in the UK and US.

The revitalised series will also be available ad free on Prime Video in Australia and New Zealand seven days following the free to air viewing.

https://twitter.com/NeighboursTV/sta...40462d5612c226

The final episode of Neighbours aired in July and featured guest appearances from former stars Kylie Minogue, Jason Donovan, Margot Robbie, Natalie Imbruglia and Guy Pearce.

Hundreds of thousands tuned in around the world to bid farewell to Ramsay Street - but it turns out it was merely a goodbye for now.

Fans reacted with glee at news the show was making a return.

?Oh my actual god!!! Crack open the fizz. This is the happiest day ever!! The mourning is over. It?s coming baaaaaaaack!!!!!!! Yessssssssss,? wrote one superfan.

?Wait, what?! Omg is this really happening?!? wrote another fan, Sharyn.

?I am actually crying tears of joy....thanks soooooo much for this. I cannot wait. Thanks to everyone for make this happen,? one delighted viewer said.

?Neighbours has captivated its audience for nearly 40 years, building a dedicated and loyal following for the lives and stories of the characters on Ramsay Street,? said Lauren Anderson from Amazon Studios.

?With the power of streaming, we?re able to offer a catalogue of thousands of Neighbours episodes for new audiences to discover this legendary series and current fans to relive their favorite moments.

?We look forward to immersing the audience in new Ramsay Street experiences when we relaunch the show next year for Amazon Freevee and Prime Video customers.?

Jennifer Mullin, global CEO of Fremantle, said: ?Neighbours is a unique series with a powerful connection with its fans across the world. We cherish the show and all those who have been part of its incredible story over many decades, so we are thrilled that we have found a new home with Amazon Freevee.

?Thanks to the innovative Amazon Freevee platform, many classic episodes will be available to fans, and Neighbours will go back into full production in Australia early next year, providing our fans with new episodes.

?This partnership with Amazon Freevee marks an exciting new chapter, and we look forward to collaborating with them, along with our long-term and valued partner in Australia, Network 10.?

More to come.

Also:

Neighbours announced for shock 2023 return following Channel 5 axe
    We're heading back to Ramsay Street!

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...channel-5-axe/
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 17-11-2022 at 11:58.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Aussieguy (18-11-2022), MellBee (17-11-2022), Perdita (17-11-2022), Ruffed_lemur (17-11-2022)

Thread Information