Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ben Richards Joins as Gavin

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emm...-role-details/

Emmerdale newcomer Ben Richards has been breathing life into a villain during filming for the last few weeks, and now we know a little more about him.

Via The Sun, it's been teased that his character Gavin is some sort of associate of Al Chapman, who's currently trying to turn the village's iconic pub The Woolpack into luxury apartments.

Back when the former Footballers' Wives and Hollyoaks actor was announced as joining the soap's cast, the world of social media got pretty excited.

"Hands down, you will always be Nate from The Bill as that is what I first saw you in! Sorry not sorry cannot wait to see you in Emmerdale though!" wrote one fan, while another added: "Best news I have heard today. Congrats it's gonna be awesome seeing you on my TV again."

"Congratulations Ben enjoy every moment whilst filming can't wait to see [you] on screen," read a third reaction.

Earlier this week, a number of Emmerdale winter storylines were previewed, including Al's scheming at the local boozer.

What we know right now is that he'll be dealing in high stakes, after his constant meddling with The Woolpack's affairs creates an enemy he'd rather not have: Cain Dingle. How far will the Yorkshire Dales' tough nut allow himself to be pushed before snapping?

Elsewhere, the badly injured Priya Sharma will struggle to come to terms with her situation following the maze fire.

Exclamation Emmerdale newcomer Ben Richards reveals Gavin's villainous secrets

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emm...vin-interview/

Emmerdale newcomer Ben Richards has spoken in-depth about his role on the show for the first time.

The former Footballers' Wives and Hollyoaks actor recently made his first appearance as Gavin, a dodgy associate of scheming Al Chapman (Michael Wildman).

Gavin is Al's business partner and is closely involved in the grand masterplan to transform The Woolpack into luxury flats. However, in the coming weeks, viewers will see that it's Gavin who is holding all of the cards ? with potentially violent consequences for Al.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Ben to hear more about what's ahead.

How did your role in Emmerdale come about?

"It was just a normal audition, but I was on a ship! I was on Britannia, doing a gig on there. The audition came through by email, but I couldn't leave the ship for Covid reasons so I did the audition self-tape in one of the cabins.

"The minute I read it, I thought: 'Oh yeah, I know how to do this'. It was so well-written. Luckily, Emmerdale liked what they saw."

What attracted you to the role?

"It's so much fun to play a baddie. There's so much you can do with it and they're far more interesting characters. Gavin has a lot of scope and he has a nice bit of history. As things play out, I have a lot more to do.

"Nice guy characters tend to get into a bit of a cul de sac, but the way they have written Gavin is that he has a lot of danger about him but not in a brutal way. He's more clever and cultured ? he's a modern-day gangster and doesn't get his own hands dirty if he wants something doing."

What is Gavin's backstory?

"Gavin's background is that he grew up in a council estate with no money, but he found a way to make cash through a loan shark business. He got a bit of money through a high interest rate. He built it up, and as he got more powerful with certain people, there was more money in his circle. He will always find a way to turn money over.

"Most people who can't go to a bank will go to Gavin and he will invest. He has a group of investors and he will manage them. If you foreclose with a bank, there's a huge process. If you foreclose with Gavin and his investors, you'd be expected to pay. And if you don't pay, then he will take everything you've got. If you still can't pay, you end up in hospital."

It sounds like Gavin is quite a dangerous character, then?

"Well, when you dance with the devil, you have to be prepared to honour that deal. He is dangerous, so the potential is there to end up in hospital ? or dead."

Over the coming weeks, we'll see that Al is in a dangerous situation like this with Gavin. Do you think the viewers may feel some sympathy for Al, despite his own recent bad behaviour?

"I think it's an interesting one. If you follow a story or characters, it's fun to see a baddie get pushed by another baddie. Al is potentially out of his depth. Gavin and his investors don't mess about, as they're very serious people.

"As pressure builds, these people want a timeline and it gets very serious. It can get physical."

Will we see Al get beaten up?

"I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give that away, but it does get heavy. When you deal with these people, they come after you but they don't draw the line there ? they also come after the ones you love. They know how to get you to do whatever it takes and push your buttons."

Does that mean Al's son Ellis could also be in danger?

"Absolutely. Gavin will exert pressure in every way he can."

How would the village feel if they knew what was going on behind the scenes?

"There would be a level of enjoyment, because they were let down in a major way by Al. They felt on the backfoot as Al has always seemed to be one step ahead. But now Al has to play catch up, so they might enjoy that to an extent.

"It will be interesting to see if and when some of these characters come across Gavin, as he tends to work in the shadows. He is never in the front and centre in any scenario."

He's not going to be drinking in The Woolpack, then?

"Definitely not, no! If people start to know about him, it will unravel quickly and become quite interesting."

Who would Gavin be wary of?

"He would be concerned about Cain, as Cain isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. I do believe, though, that Gavin is a match for him and even superior. Gavin spends his life dealing with people who aren't afraid but he is also aware that Cain can be dangerous, so it's about managing that."

Do you have scenes with Jeff Hordley (Cain) coming up?

"I may, very soon! They're quite explosive and really very exciting to play."

Are you worried about a fan backlash over Gavin's villainous behaviour?

"That's what's fun! You want to play that dangerous person who will turn everything upside down. That's where the fun stuff is.

"When you're involved with something so loved ? The Woolpack is the social centre ? if that is in danger in any shape or form, it's great to be involved in it."

You've previously done shows like Footballers' Wives, Hollyoaks, and The Bill. What's it like being back in a soap?

"They are big machines. Footballers' Wives was different ? it was a different kind of pressure, as we had a bit of time. But soaps have a lot of material to get through. Emmerdale is such a well-run machine and so professional. Everyone is ready and organised, from schedules to pick-up times. So you have to be ready!

"The concern is: what is the atmosphere going to be like? The Bill was like a family and I have met some of the cast of Emmerdale a while ago when I toured with Guys and Dolls and we had a drink afterwards. I couldn't believe how down to earth and lovely they were. There are no egos.

"This came around and I got the chance to work with them. Everyone has been so friendly and welcoming. I met Lucy Pargeter who plays Chas recently and she was so lovely.

"On my first day on set I got walked around by Dominic Brunt, who plays Paddy ? he volunteered to. He was unbelievably kind and lovely. They really welcome you into the fold.

"And I love working with my friend Mike [Wildman, who plays Al], who I haven't seen for 20 years. We did a film together called Bring Me The Head Of Mavis Davis. We were just starting out, we were very green and here we are working together again. The whole process has been an absolute joy."

If a regular role came up as Gavin, would you take it?

"It's up to the viewers to write in and say they want more Gavin! If this is just a period of time for Gavin, it will still be an absolute joy. If they want him back, then great!"

You're also doing panto this year, aren't you?

"I am, yes. I am shooting next Friday and then I have to pack on Saturday, go to Liverpool on Sunday and start rehearsals on Monday. The next day off I have is on Christmas Day, so it's a full on panto zone! That will be through to January."

Will you be able to go home for Christmas?

"I will! I'm not doing a morning show on Boxing Day so I will go home late with Chris Rea's 'Driving Home For Christmas' playing in the car and see my girls and have Christmas Day.

"Then it's up early to head back on Boxing Day. I am playing Gaston in Beauty and the Beast at the Epstein Theatre in Liverpool ? I'm looking forward to it. Having a live audience is such a great experience."

What else have you done since the pandemic?

"Well, I do gigs with my singing as well ? working on a few cruise ships. I have been lucky ? even during lockdown I did a pilot for a series. There have been bits but those 18 months were tough, it was quiet for a lot of us. The soaps were the first to come back but for everyone else, it was a real waiting game."

I can't be bothered with gangster stories, Emmerdale has already had too many.
    Viewers seem to be on the gangsters side because they are good looking.
    Look at the worship the Shelby's who are thugs and murderers get. I want them to be hanged.
    Sent from my desktop computer using my fingers on the keyboard.

is he connected to chloe and kerry?

Thread Information