Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glen Donnelly (Richard Huggett)

Glen Donnelly (Richard Huggett)

Radiotimes.com article. Character Glen Donnelly (Richard Huggett) is to return to Neighbours later this year after 30 years. Lucy Robinson (Melissa Bell) will also make a re-appearance:

Neighbours star Richard Huggett talks Glen Donnelly?s return and teases ?twists, turns and agendas?
    Glen and Paul have some unfinished business.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/soaps/...ive-interview/

A long-running soap always has characters from the past that fans want to make a comeback, and the list of possible Neighbours returning favoruites is large and varied. But one name has been cropping up since they made a hasty exit from the soap back in 1992: Glen Donnelly (Richard Huggett).

Long-term fans will remember that Glen left Erinsborough after a fall from the roof of Lassiters and some particularly dodgy moves from half-brother Paul Robinson that slammed the door shut on the pair ever having a healthy relationship. He was declared a paraplegic and made a quiet exit without telling his family he was leaving. He was never seen or heard from again ? until now.

Glen?s return is set to air in November here in the UK alongside his half-sister and one-time ?controversial ? love interest Lucy Robinson (Melissa Bell). Richard has been chatting to exclusively to RadioTimes.com about his comeback and what it was like to embody the character of Glen again after 30-years off of our screens.

Obvious question first, what is it like to be back and did you ever expect to be making a return considering how long it has been?

It?s actually 30 years this year I think since I stopped filming. I did it for a year and it?s just like being back home, actually! For one it really doesn?t seem like 30 years, maybe it feels like 10 at most, but we?ve definitely all aged about 30 years.

The studios have changed a bit and I get lost going from place to place in there but it really is like being back home. Stefan Dennis who plays Paul is there and Lucinda Cowden who plays Melanie is back now too and catching up with her feels like I just saw her yesterday. Same too with Melissa Bell, she?s a real sweetheart and she?s hilarious. It?s just been really good.

It must feel like a very different show now, in a sense, but is there still a feel of what it was like in 1991?

It does feel like a different show in a way. It?s shot differently for one, they use twin cameras now and it used to be shot with three. Before we?d do one take and that was it, we?d move on, but now it?s a bit more technical and they?re coming in for close-ups which is really good but you do work at a very fast pace to get it all done. It was a bit daunting to come back to!

But you?re settling back in well?

Oh absolutely. It only takes a couple of weeks and it?s not like I ever really gave up acting and I?ve done bits and pieces over the years. You just pick up where you left off really.

We know you can?t say too much yet, but can you give any hints as to what it is that brings Glen back to Erinsborough?

Ultimately, I come back to reconnect with Lucy. As you know when I left, Paul and I were not on the best of terms so I come back to see Lucy and it goes on from there with all sorts of twists and turns and cliffhangers ? but no hanging off of hotel roofs this time.

https://youtu.be/HQBSBdfwMOQ

The last time Glen and Paul met they were, as always, not exactly friendly. What is it like when they see each other again and do you think there is any chance they could form a brotherly bond?

I think it?s a bit more complicated than dislike because there is so much history there with the way Glen was treated, which was pretty bad, especially by Paul, and this is where the twists, turns and agendas come into play. It will be interesting.

We know that Lucy is back too, which is surprising given their history was so controversial. What?s it like to be reunited with Melissa Bell and did you realise how huge that story was going to be back in 91?

I did know [that it was cut out of UK airings], yeah, but it was half-brother half-sister and we kissed and wanted to go further but never did and that?s where the controversy came from. But there?s nothing like that this time. Their bond is very much a brotherly sisterly one when we see them.

Glen had a fractured relationship with the whole family during his stay, but he always seemed to have a special bond with Helen. What was Anne Haddy like to work with, can we expect a mention of her?

She does get a mention but I think we don?t really dwell on the characters from that far back. Jim and Helen do certainly get a mention though. Working with Anne Haddy was so great. She had been acting for years when I worked with her and she was really amazing to learn from at that time.

Obviously, Glen left in a wheelchair but we now know he is walking again. Was there a worry of having that seemingly damning diagnosis undone?

When I was first approached that was my question, whether Glen was still a paraplegic and if he?s not, how did he get out of that? But the way it?s been dealt with I think is perfect. The writers have done a really good job at justifying why I?m not in a wheelchair anymore I think.

What kind of person is Glen now, and how much has he changed over the years?

Back then he was a troubled young man but he?s grown up and he?s a lot calmer now. He doesn?t bite quite as easily anymore. Of course, there will be some sort of confrontation with Paul but as for how far that goes, well, who knows? We?ll see.

Do we get to hear why he ultimately chose to leave everyone on Ramsay Street behind, never to return?

Yes, we do. But I can?t really go into anything more on that right now. But yeah, it is explained why he did what he did back in 1991.

Another plot thread that has been left hanging from your last stint is his romance with Gaby Willis. Do you know if there have been any talks to bring her back to try and resolve that story too?

I?m not sure if that will happen or if it?s even been thought of. I am sure they would love to get Gaby back as another interest from that era but I guess it will depend on the actor?s availability and many other things. We?ll have to wait and see!

The DS article:

Neighbours announces returns for Glen Donnelly and Lucy Robinson
    Glen is coming back to Erinsborough after almost 30 years away.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...binson-return/
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 15-08-2021 at 14:53.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Aussieguy (16-08-2021), lizann (16-08-2021), Ruffed_lemur (15-08-2021)

Remember Glenn ,the actor also played the villain Sonny Bennett in E Street prior to Neighbours

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aussieguy For This Useful Post:

lizann (16-08-2021), Pantherboy (16-08-2021)

maybe he takes terese off paul

Digital Spy article with new promo video (including some nostalgic moments to mark the 35th anniversary of Neighbours' arrival on UK screens):

Neighbours reveals first look at Glen Donnelly return in new promo
    Is Paul Robinson right to look so worried?

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...ook-new-promo/

Neighbours spoilers follow for UK and Australian viewers.

Neighbours has revealed its first look at Glen Donnelly's dramatic return in a brand new promo video.

This year marks the 35th anniversary of Neighbours' arrival on UK screens, with the BBC first airing the Australian soap in 1986 after it originally launched on Aussie shores the year before.

To celebrate the anniversary of the soap's UK debut, Scott Mills is hosting a special Neighbours show on BBC Radio 2 today (August 30) which will see cast members reunite as the soap has also released a new "then and now" promo to mark the occasion.

Not only does the new clip, which you can watch above, remind us of some wonderfully nostalgic moments ? including Scott and Charlene Robinson's wedding and Lou Carpenter introducing his bar ? there are also some teaser clips of upcoming scenes as yet unseen by UK fans.

One of the biggest talking points of the teaser is our very first look at Glen Donnelly's return to Ramsay Street, a moment that hasn't yet aired in Australia or the UK.

It was revealed earlier this month that Glen (Richard Huggett) would be making a comeback, having not been seen since 1992 when he fell from the roof of Lassiters and suffered life-changing injuries. He left Erinsborough without saying goodbye to his family. But his half-brother Paul Robinson (Stefan Dennis) will soon be in for a shock when he comes face to face with Glen again.

There's no love lost between the siblings, so it's no surprise that Paul looks so horrified to see Glen again, who greets his brother with an ominous: "Been a long time".

How Glen and Paul's relationship will develop remains to be seen, but there are sure to be fireworks of some sort.

The promo clip also contains some new footage for UK fans, including Rose Walker's return. Rose (Lucy Durack) clearly has an agenda to win back her ex, Toadie Rebecchi (Ryan Moloney), but will she manage to drive a wedge between him and Melanie Pearson (Lucinda Cowden)?

We also get a look at Paul trying to hunt down the missing Nicolette Stone (Charlotte Chimes), as well as glimpses at Levi Canning (Richie Morris), Amy Greenwood (Jacinta Stapleton) and Ned Willis (Ben Hall)'s polyamory story as they navigate their new romantic arrangement.

The clip also gives us a first look at Lucy Robinson (Melissa Bell)'s return, as she announces to Paul that his "whole life is an evil plan". But could Lucy be getting up to no good with Paul, or will she be aligning with the also-returning Glen?

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Mondays to Thursdays at 6.30pm on 10 Peach (Australia).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

lizann (30-08-2021), Ruffed_lemur (30-08-2021)

New promo 'Glen is back':

https://youtu.be/rOeM9bjYmqE

EDIT: The DS article:

Neighbours teases Glen and Lucy returns in new trailer
    It's a Robinson family reunion.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...turns-trailer/
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 30-10-2021 at 22:52.

Digital Spy article:

Neighbours star Richard Huggett reveals how long Glen Donnelly is back for
    The returning actor also reveals more on Glen's bond with Terese.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...nnelly-return/

Neighbours spoilers follow for Australian and UK viewers.

Neighbours fans have recently seen Glen Donnelly make a surprise return to the soap after almost 30 years away. And Glen is getting stuck right back into the Erinsborough drama as he reunites with his estranged brother, Paul Robinson.

Glen (Richard Huggett) has already come to the rescue of Paul's (Stefan Dennis) ex Terese Willis (Rebekah Elmaloglou), having helped her after finding her disoriented on a Queensland beach at the Lassiters Summit, and he will continue to bond with Terese next week after revealing that he too has experienced addiction.

Terese will soon be left wondering just why Glen has returned to Erinsborough after all this time. With plenty still to be revealed in this storyline, actor Richard has spoken exclusively to Digital Spy about the initial timespan of Glen's return plot.

When asked how long he is back on the soap for, Richard told us: "It's a 6-month stint initially and I guess we'll see where we're at after that".

So, is there potential for Glen to make a permanent comeback? While nothing has been confirmed, Richard said that he would "definitely" be interested in a longer comeback.

"I've just had so much fun filming these scenes and working with Stefan and Rebekah and seeing Lucinda Cowden (who plays Melanie Pearson) again. We just all have so much fun!" he said.

Richard revealed that his comeback has been a long time coming, with the soap having initially approached his agent "a couple of years ago" about a return, but unfortunately his return stint was delayed by the Covid-19 pandemic.

"I was supposed to go back in March last year or something like that, but because of the pandemic no one could travel so it all fell by the wayside and I thought that was it, it wasn't going to happen," he explained.

"Then in March this year, they called again and asked if I'd still like to return and I still said yes, absolutely!"

Glen may now be settling back into Erinsborough life, but it's clear that he still harbours plenty of resentment toward Paul after his behaviour alienated Glen from his family back in 1992.

Richard confirmed that Glen isn't ready to completely let the past go, teasing that "there are definitely resentments about the way Glen was treated 30 years ago".

"The family just disowned him all through Paul's doing. Glen is still feeling pretty raw about all of that," he explained.

As for Glen's interest in Terese, Richard suggested that their friendship has potential to grow deeper as they continue to open up to each other.

"Initially it's supportive and innocent when he finds her on the beach drunk," the actor said. "As the story goes on, and Glen finds out that she's married to Paul ? originally he thinks they are just work colleagues ? but the way she's been talking about Paul and the things he's done to her... there could be something more...

"They become closer when they both find out they've suffered with alcohol addiction."

Fans will have to keep watching to find out whether Glen and Terese's friendship will take another turn or not...

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Mondays to Thursdays at 6.30pm on 10 Peach (Australia).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (15-11-2021), Ruffed_lemur (16-11-2021)

Digital Spy article:

Neighbours to air shock Glen Donnelly flashback scene as his scheming continues
    Paul's brother is keeping a little secret.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...ashback-twist/

Neighbours spoilers follow.

Neighbours will air a Glen Donnelly twist, as a flashback scene is set to reveal what happened to Terese Willis's wedding ring.

During her trip in Queensland for a work conference, Terese (Rebekah Elmaloglou) lost her ring while she relapsed on the beach. Despite her best efforts, she has not been able to find and recover it.

In upcoming scenes on 10 Peach and Channel 5, Glen (Richard Huggett) is revealed to have found the missing ring at the beach during a flashback scene, and has been keeping his discovery a secret. Viewers know, of course, that Glen is keen on keeping Terese away from Paul Robinson (Stefan Dennis).

In the present day, when Paul asks Terese again why she's not wearing her wedding ring, Terese eventually admits that she lost it while they were in Queensland.

Paul, still desperate for the pair to reunite and get their marriage back on track, is worried that the ring's disappearance could be a bad sign, before trying to use the situation in his favour and coming up with another plan in the hopes of impressing Terese.

Unfortunately for him, his latest attempt doesn't go as expected.

However, things appear to be looking up for Paul when Terese accepts his new ring. Glen is unsurprisingly horrified when he learns what's happened and tries to convince Terese to change her mind, suggesting that she shouldn't be manipulated by Paul.

Later in the week, Paul is upset to find out that Glen may have been a huge factor behind Terese's decision. He then becomes angry when he discovers the real reason behind Glen's Erinsborough return.

David (Takaya Honda) and Leo (Tim Kano) try to calm their father down, suggesting that Paul calmly talks to Glen over his brother's feelings towards him.

But there is no guarantee that Paul won't do anything rash...

Neighbours airs these scenes on Monday, November 29, Tuesday, November 30 and Wednesday, December 1 at 1pm and 6pm on Channel 5 in the UK. The scenes air in Australia on Wednesday, November 24, Thursday, November 25 and Monday, November 29 at 6.30pm on 10 Peach.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (22-11-2021), Ruffed_lemur (22-11-2021)

I like his return, still nice to look at

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

lellygurl (27-11-2021)

Digital Spy article:

Neighbours hints Glen could be caught out over Terese secret
    Harlow comes close to making a discovery.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...terese-secret/

Neighbours' Glen Donnelly will close to being caught out over his secret with Terese Willis' ring.

A couple of months ago, fans learned that Glen (Richard Huggett) found Terese's (Rebekah Elmaloglou) missing ring at the beach in Queensland but hid it from her, wanting to keep Terese away from Paul Robinson (Stefan Dennis).

He kept the ring in the safe in his room, but when Harlow Robinson (Jemma Donovan) snooped without permission, it accidentally ended up on the floor.

In upcoming scenes on Channel 5 and 10 Peach, Harlow is frustrated to see Glen continuing to be around Terese following what happened on the Lassiters rooftop.

Harlow still doesn't trust Glen and believes he's up to no good, and is determined to find out what he's hiding.

She ends up coming close to discovering Terese's ring...

Later, Harlow grills Glen over what he kept in the safe that he was scared of losing.

With his alcoholism secret out in the open, Glen lies and tells Harlow that the prized possession is his AA sobriety chip.

Harlow remains highly suspicious of Glen. Will she end up finding out about his part in the disappearance of Terese's ring?

Also in the first week of January, David Tanaka (Takaya Honda) believes he knows what's the reason behind Harlow's recent and drastic change in behaviour, which has seen her show a more ruthless side and a worrying lack of compassion.

Neighbours airs these scenes on Wednesday, January 5 and Thursday, January 6 at 1.45pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and 6.30pm on 10 Peach (Australia).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (25-12-2021), Ruffed_lemur (24-12-2021)

Digital Spy article:

Neighbours star Beth Buchanan teases Gemma and Glen romantic twist
    "He gets a bit flirtatious."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...an-gemma-glen/

Neighbours star Beth Buchanan has spoken to Digital Spy about Gemma Willis and Glen Donnelly's romantic history being revisited.

Gemma returned to Erinsborough this month as part of her daughter Roxy's wedding storyline, which led to her coming face-to-face with her old flame Glen (Richard Huggett) for the first time in years.

The storyline continues next week as Gemma shares an obvious spark with Glen, which doesn't go unnoticed by a jealous Terese (Rebekah Elmaloglou).

Speaking to Digital Spy about the storyline, Beth explained: "It was a surprise to Gemma when she returned and found Glen there. It was a little bit awkward, because they had to explain how they knew each other and how they were seeing each other a few years ago.

"But they soon get over that and it's fine. I think that, as Gemma is recently divorced, she's now feeling a bit ready for going on a date.

"Perhaps she is looking at Glen and thinking, 'Why not?' He gets a bit flirtatious.

"Although Terese is getting jealous, Gemma doesn't realise that. She has absolutely no idea that anything is going on between Glen and Terese."

As next week's episodes also see Glen share a romantic connection with Kyle's mum Sharon, viewers will have to stay tuned to see exactly how the story develops.

Meanwhile, although Gemma initially tried to oppose Roxy's wedding plans, the big episode ultimately sees her walk her daughter down the aisle now that they've resolved their differences.

Beth continued: "When Gemma met Kyle, I think she instantly really liked him. She can see that he's a genuinely lovely person and he cares about her daughter. She doesn't have any reservations about Roxy being involved with him at all.

"It was the wedding that she thought wasn't a good idea, because it was announced so suddenly and seemed to happen very quickly.

"But after speaking to Sheila, Gemma now wants Roxy to know she supports her as a mother and she'll be there for her whatever happens. She doesn't want to lose that connection so that's what changed her mind. I'd say Sheila's intervention was the turning point."

Reflecting on her latest return, she added: "It's just a few episodes. It is fun popping in and out, I have to say. It's always surprising not knowing what the story is going to be, and then popping in and having scenes with different people.

"I'm quite happy popping in and out, but it'd be great to have a bit more time on it as well."

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Mondays to Thursdays at 6.30pm on 10 Peach (Australia).

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (15-01-2022), Ruffed_lemur (15-01-2022)

Thread Information