Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coronation Street Spoilers 2021 for Corrie

Exclamation Coronation Street Spoilers 2021 for Corrie

Coronation Street boss Iain MacLeod has revealed a dark and intense new story for the younger characters of the show which will kick off next year ? and become one of the soap?s biggest storylines and talking points.
    Much like Geoff and Yasmeen?s saga has dominated the show topically this year, next year will see another plot tackle a serious real life issue as a number of the teenage characters are caught up in a life changing situation that could change their lives forever.
    Much loved characters including Asha, Nina and Aadi will find themselves in a dark place with serious consequences in a long running story that could spell tragedy. Hinting at what?s to come in 2021, Iain said: ?A huge story for next year involves Asha, Nina, Aadi, Kelly ? they will be mixed up in a hard hitting story and massive ramifications for Roy and Abi.
    ?It?ll be one of our biggest, serious social responsibility stories next year by a margin. It?s incredibly sad and tragic but a really important story.?
    Coronation Street have put a lot of focus on younger stars of late with serious storylines, with Tanisha impressing fans with the skin bleaching and sex picture leak storylines and Amy Barlow star Elle Mulvaney tackling a teen pregnancy story.
    The show boss also revealed a major new storyline for Leanne and Simon, which will be an offshoot of the Oliver tragedy. It seems the younger cast of Corrie are going to really take the spotlight next year and show us what we?re made of. But from the sounds of it, the ramifications could be devastating.

Coronation Street is welcoming in 2021 with the promise of huge new storylines. The dramatic 60th anniversary week will soon have further repercussions on the cobbles, while other characters will be going in unexpected new directions.

Show boss Iain MacLeod recently caught up with Digital Spy and other media to provide an in-depth preview of what's in store.

What can you tell us about the aftermath of Adam's attack now that we know Faye was the culprit?

"The story focuses on this troubled young girl, who has been subjected to a terrible ordeal by Ray and finds herself in a really conflicted situation. She knows she has done something terrible and feels an enormous amount of guilt, but the people around her feel that she is the victim here. They set in chain a sequence of events where they try to protect her from the scales of justice and keep her away from the police and court.

"That brings in loads of different characters ? most notably Gary. Gary pulls out all the stops and becomes the hero of the piece for his little sister, in a way that I think people will really enjoy. It's a really huge story for that little family.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

"One wonders how Maria might feel about this, when Gary is in the middle of yet another drama. But this time he is fighting for the forces of good rather than evil, so what will that do to Maria's feelings for him? There's exciting relationship material for those two."

What does the future hold for Ray's story?

"Ray's reign of terror, his sexual predation and his terrible, ruthless desire to knock down the Street is reaching fever pitch. In the 60th anniversary week, the residents won the battle but perhaps not the war. The war does rage on, with Ray very much in the middle of it.

"What we get to is a story where Ray becomes more and more desperate to get off the hook for what happened with Faye's sexual assault. He also becomes more desperate to get this building project over the line, because we discover he's got quite a lot riding on it. If it goes wrong, it could be curtains for him, very literally.

"That brings Ray into conflict with his old nemesis Abi. There's some fantastic stuff there where Abi takes Ray on and her life is in a fair amount of jeopardy.

"That, in turn, draws in Kevin and Debbie ? as they end up in Ray's crosshairs as well. There's a really brilliant power struggle between Debbie and Ray, which has twists and turns ? with literal life-or-death jeopardy. It's all really exciting.

"I love the fact that this story started off with this guy who was on the periphery in the show. Ray just owned a hotel and worked with Michelle, but then we saw signs that he might be this Harvey Weinstein type of character. The story has percolated over quite a long time and it's intensifying in the first part of 2021."

Despite his villainous behaviour in the past couple of years, is Gary sticking around in the show?

"I really like the morally complicated Gary that we've got now. He is still capable of doing the heroic things that Gary might have once done. His story with Faye, trying to save his sister, is a great example of that.

"Gary is also capable of doing darker things as well. I'm always keen to remind people that when Gary came into the show, he was a wrong'un and he's always had that as part of his DNA. I really like that we've got both elements of him in focus in the first half of 2021.

"I'm in no hurry to see the back of Gary at all, really. For the most part, the stuff he's done has been very justifiable. Yes, he killed Rick, but he did it because Rick was coming for him, Sarah, Bethany and his family.

"I like the fact that Gary is not a Hillman. He's not an out-and-out, dead-eyed murderer. I think he's a human being who's made some horrific mistakes, but as I'm reading the scripts for next year, I'm enjoying seeing him trying to claw his way back up the morally slippery slope that he's slipped down.

"Mikey [North, who plays Gary] is a fabulous performer, a really good actor and a thoroughly nice chap. I am enjoying watching Gary and hopefully we will continue to do so for as long as we can."

What is coming next for Yasmeen following Geoff's death?

"We were very keen to reflect the real world experiences that people like Yasmeen go through. Alya told her gran that it was over, but actually, it's not. The psychological impact of abusive relationships can last forever.

"There's also the practical side of what happened to Yasmeen. We know that Geoff was embezzling money from Yasmeen and taking out loans in her name, without her knowledge. A lot of that will come home to roost for Yasmeen, in a way that threatens to destabilise her recovery from what she's been through.

"The Elaine story will be a bit of a ray of light for Yasmeen. Paula Wilcox is absolutely fantastic. Elaine played a pivotal role in the trial and she will also play a pivotal role in Yasmeen's recovery. They'll have an 'odd couple' friendship, and thankfully for Yasmeen it will be quite humorous in places. They're survivors of Geoff and trying to find their way as a double act.

"So there'll be some light stuff for Yasmeen to play, but overall it's going to be a heartbreaking next chapter for her."

Where do Carla and Peter go from here?

"They're Burton and Taylor, aren't they? They will always remain in love. The aftermath of what happened in the 60th anniversary will probably be the biggest test for Peter personally, in terms of his mental and physical wellbeing. He is going to hit an all-time low.

"But in terms of Peter's relationship with Carla, the intention of doing this story was to see them both make terrible mistakes. In Carla's case, it was sleeping with Adam. In Peter's case, it was hitting the bottle again. But they actually come out the other side stronger than they ever have done. This is supposed to be the last 'trial by fire' of this relationship.

"Peter is obviously a very self-destructive character and his self-destruction will be taken to new depths with this chapter of his addiction. Chris [Gascoyne, who plays Peter] is very keen to go full method actor and fully immerse himself in Peter's physical deterioration this time, so we're having discussions with doctors and nutritionists over how we can best represent Peter's fall from grace and make it as visually realistic and shocking as possible.

"We're really going to town with this. Peter has been told many times that his next drink could kill him, so we felt that this time, we had to make good on that to a degree. We had to go right to the end in terms of what would happen to Peter and his body if he kept drinking. We'll take that to as realistic a conclusion as we possibly can.

"It's heartbreaking and exciting, but at the bottom of it all is a love story between Peter and Carla. What they realise is they love each other and they deserve each other. There's fireworks whenever they're on screen together and we're going to see a lot of that over the next few months."

Will Peter's relationship with his family be put to the test too?

"The initial chapter that Peter faces will be a psychological one. Essentially he needs to decide if he wants to proceed with treating his illness. There's so much self-loathing in Peter. We've been speaking to contacts at Alcoholic Anonymous and that self-loathing phase of an alcoholic's relapse is really quite prominent.

"That's going to feature in a big way in the first part of the year. Peter will essentially decide on a course that you might describe as like a slow suicide. His loved ones will be horrified that Peter is giving up and is planning a slow slide to his grave. There's a real battle to save his life and convince him that he wants to live.

"It's hugely heart-rending and emotional, with massive scenes for Peter and Carla. Carla loves Peter so much, so she has to behave in a way that she knows will make Peter hate her, in the short-term at the very least. But she's prepared to do that and have Peter hate her, because she loves him very much.

"It's complicated stuff and grown-up drama. I hope that fans of Peter and Carla will, by the end of it, feel that it's been the ultimate love story. It will ultimately have a happy ending, even though it sometimes looks like it's a long way away for those two."

We've heard there's a big year for Nina coming up...

"There'll be a fantastic and unique love story for Nina, which might not entirely end up where you expect now. The love story will turn into a massive social issue story that deals with tolerance of people who are part of minority communities and don't look like everybody else.

"It'll become a real talking point for next year ? how does the world view people like Nina in reality? When they're on Coronation Street, all of our characters take them under their wing ? and the viewers have taken Nina to their hearts too.

"But in the real world, if you don't look like everybody else, sometimes that can be incredibly challenging. We're going to explore that a little bit in the show ? to heartbreaking effect, I hope.

"That story draws in Roy, Abi and Kevin. It becomes a huge, emotive community story, with some of our favourite actors in the middle of it."

Is there more to come for the younger characters in general?

"Yes, it's huge year for the teens generally. We've got an incredibly strong cohort of teen actors at the moment. I think Asha is fabulous and Aadi is another character I am really interested in. There are really strong performers behind those two.

"We've got Kelly and we will see more of Corey. We've seen Corey intermittently over the past couple of years, but he will now reveal himself to be every bit as unpleasant as we have probably suspected, after his dealings with Asha in the earlier point of the story.

"There are fabulous 17 and 18-year-old actors in the show who provide us with an incredibly strong foundation for huge stories in 2021 but also looking forward.

"After our 60th anniversary, if we think about the stars of the future and where we're going to get them from, I think they're already in the show. There are so many strong performers that we've got and there'll be a spotlight on them in the year ahead."

Will Oliver's death continue to make a big impact on Simon and Leanne?

"What we're trying to do with Simon and Leanne is find a way to play their grief that doesn't feel like grief stories that we've done and other shows might have done. We've come up with something that starts quite small, but ends up turning into this colossal, thriller-ish, high-octane piece that will play out in the first six months of 2021.

"It ends up with Simon being driven by grief and getting himself into an inescapable situation. That forces Leanne to put her war paint on and go out in defence of her remaining son. She takes on an incredibly dangerous situation in order to protect Simon.

"That ends up drawing in Nick and Sam ? and it collides with Peter and Carla's love story too. It is a grief story, but it's far removed from being one woman sitting alone in a room and feeling sad.

"We were quite keen to use Leanne's grief as a launch-pad into something exciting. I think we've achieved that, without feeling like we're doing a disservice to the Oliver story.

"The risk when you set out to do something really unusual with a grief story is that it can feel insensitive, but I really don't think it does. It beautifully pays off the grief and then turns into something brilliant and exciting at the end of it.

"Stories focusing on a character experiencing a very tragic event can sometimes imbue everything they do for years afterwards with a dark and brooding tone. We were keen to avoid that and I think we've done that quite deftly."

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (02-01-2021), parkerman (01-01-2021), tammyy2j (01-01-2021)

What's next for the Todd/Billy/Paul love triangle?

"It's an incredibly toxic love story. Todd can't go about anything in a nice, normal way. It has to somehow be torturous, full of machinations and skulduggery. There's bags of that coming up and it's all really good fun. Todd enjoys his manipulations ? that's the thing I love about him the most. He does whatever is necessary to get his hands on the prize ? in this case, that is Billy.

"Todd will set out in a very underhand way to undermine Billy and Paul's relationship. He will ultimately and temporarily look like he's got everything he wants. Unfortunately, the lengths that Todd has gone to in order to get what he wants, will be the very thing that will be his undoing in the end.

"Todd gets his happy ending but it's already got a massive fracture in it. In a very explosive, dramatic ? again quite thriller-ish ? way later in the year, Todd's machinations will all come to light and he'll end up losing everything again."

Can you talk about plans for Todd in the longer-term?

"Todd being Todd, he's fairly Teflon. He'll lose everything again and then quite quickly set about reacquiring it, or something of equal value. We want to enjoy that character, really. We're conscious that the best villains are ones that you enjoy hating and almost laugh at their sheer audacity. Todd has that capacity to be very funny and enjoyable as a villain.

"We're giving him another arena. We're giving him a job in the undertaker's with George Shuttleworth. We thought that could be a brilliant double act, as George is quite big-hearted, kind, warm and funny, while Todd is not! If you were casting a sitcom set in that undertakers, what better foil for George than the perpetually scheming Todd?"

How will that affect Eileen?

"Todd working with George will provide a spoke in the wheel for the George/Eileen story. We're intending to do a 'will they / won't they?' story for George and Eileen. Having Eileen's son in this story could be very funny and interesting as well.

"So we're not going to just have Todd do bad stuff ? he will also be a comic foil for George and a third wheel in Eileen's romcom with George. We're excited about that and the writers love writing for Todd. I think that will really come through in what we're writing for the next year."

We know Sean's son Dylan is returning again, this time on a longer-term basis. Will we see a different side to Sean as a result?

"We will. We'll see the angel and the devil on Sean's shoulder. On the good side, we'll get to see a gay single dad raising his son, which feels like something I haven't seen in a soap before. It feels like novel territory for us and for him.

"The chemistry between Sean and Dylan is really touching. They're really poignant and moving together and I totally buy their relationship. So that's the nice side, but as Sean attempts to get his life in order and give Dylan the lifestyle that he wants, he ends up making some morally questionable decisions and riding roughshod over his neighbours at times.

"Sean thinks that he needs to give Dylan a proper home, give him the stuff he needs, spoil him and make up for all of his years as an absentee father. That's his motivation, but how he goes about achieving it is morally questionable. It will ultimately prove to be a morality tale for Sean ? and for the nation, I think.

"Especially after COVID, there'll be many people who don't have a great deal of money. The situation that Sean finds himself in will be one that people empathise with a lot, but as he gets further and further outside what is morally acceptable, it'll become a really interesting morality fable.

"People may understand why Sean is doing it, but to what extent do the ends justify the means?"

Does this tie in with Sean's new business ambitions that we've seen recently?

"Yes ? Sean won't be doing anything criminal, but he gets involved with this pyramid scheme that ruins some of his neighbours. He convinces himself that he's doing nothing wrong. Sean thinks it's capitalism, it's how the world works and if everybody worked as hard as him, they'd be a success like he is.

"It is an unashamedly moral tale of capitalism taken to the extreme and the damage it can do to communities and people. It's not as black and white as Sean turning to crime or anything like that. Sean doesn't realise what he's getting involved with at first, but it dawns on him what it's doing to him and his relationships with his friends."

We've heard that there's a new member of the Bailey family joining...

"Yes, Ed's brother Ronnie turns up and he is a massive injection of chaos, energy and humour. He's just a real jack the lad and will tip their currently-quite-cosy lifestyle on its head. He'll be setting many cats among many pigeons up and down the street, much to Ed's exasperation at times.

"Ronnie will arrive off the back of quite a big family drama and he turns up with a secret. He comes in at the worst possible moment, when Michael and Grace are trying to contend with the arrival of their slightly premature baby. Then in comes Ed's brother Ronnie ? holding the hand grenade with the pin already out and just wondering when to drop it.

"As you can predict in a show like ours, he drops it at a point where it will do maximum damage. It's not through any malice, it's just because he can't help himself.

"Ronnie reminds me a lot of Danny Baldwin. He can be slightly ruthless but also irrepressibly charming. He's got that vibe about him and it's something the show hasn't had for a while, so I'm extremely excited to bring him in. The performer that we've hired is fabulous ? he's a really, really strong actor."

What else is coming up for the Baileys?

"There will be a happy ending for James with his homophobia in football story. That will be playing out over the first six months of 2021.

"Furthermore, we've got Michael and Grace. We're going to try to use their situation for a certain amount of comedy throughout the year. Obviously Grace will now be tied forever to Aggie, who can't stand her and vice versa. So there'll be lots of humour to play there.

"But also in the background to all of this, we're doing a slow-burn exploration of systemic racism. Obviously we touched upon that subject area with verbal racism earlier in 2020, but we'll now be playing out a more long-form exploration of systemic racism, which is of the more insidious and almost subliminal form.

"Rather than overt name-calling, it's more the kind of things that our actors have told us they've experienced in their day-to-day lives ? unconscious bias and systemic racism. As a show, we felt strongly that we should be exploring that in a slightly more in-depth way.

"That comes to a more explicitly dramatic peak around July time on screen, but you'll see the beginnings of it start to slow-burn in the New Year."

Will Daisy cause trouble for Johnny and Jenny?

"Obviously Johnny has been a naughty boy. We were keen to explore what it would be like for Jenny on the outside when her husband is residing at Her Majesty's Pleasure and try to play some of the truth of that.

"It's also a good opportunity to explore who Daisy really is. Daisy plays an Iago-like role in that story. She's whispering in Jenny's ear, trying to undermine her relationship with Johnny. Daisy is no fan of Johnny and frankly would rather he wasn't in Jenny's life, so she could have Johnny's place in Jenny's life instead.

"It's a really mischievous role. Daisy is very manipulative but really good fun with it. She'll cause no end of trouble for Johnny and Jenny."

How does Johnny fare in prison?

"We were keen to do justice to the MS side of Johnny's character and experience. Perhaps at times that has been visible in the show and at other times not.

"We felt we should start telling that story in a similar way we would other long-running medical stories, like Sinead's cancer, and investigate what life would be like for Johnny with that medical condition. We'll be exploring that with a little bit more of a spotlight on what that's actually like and treating it more like an issue-based story.

"When we knew that we were sending the character of Johnny to prison, Richard Hawley was very keen to talk to me about how we should be exploring what it'd be like for a man with that condition behind bars. It's an extra level of difficulty if you do have a medical condition like this. We will 100% be investigating the truth of that."

What's next for Cathy and Brian?

"It's not the biggest story we're doing by any stretch, but there's a really interesting story we're doing about the perils of social media and the hellstorm that can rain down on you if you take on the trolls. That will arrive in the first quarter of 2021, when Cathy will make some unwise choices in her online life that will threaten to see them completely ostracised from their friends and also sees them getting viciously trolled online.

"It will bring in Alex as well and there'll be an interesting angle for him, in terms of the online cruelty sometimes facing disabled people when they venture into social media.

"It's a really modern story that will play to Brian and Cathy's strengths. It will put their love in the spotlight for perhaps the first time in a long while. It becomes a story about love and loyalty, and about standing by somebody who's maybe made some terrible transgressions.

"It's about understanding that one transgression online can maybe ruin your life, but it isn't necessarily indicative of that individual being a terrible person, it's just a moment of madness where you say or do something online that you regret forever.

"It's similar to the type of story that we did with Asha ? where you make one slightly dubious decision over how you're going to engage with the digital world and it can then spiral into something that threatens to ruin your whole life."

Can you share any final teasers?

"The thing that's exciting me the most is the Leanne story, which I know I've been a bit vague about. I think it's incredibly exciting. It will also draw in Rita at a certain point ? and there'll be a blast from the past for Rita that emerges as a result of the story.

"I really think this story will end up in the place where you least expect it when you start watching it in the New Year."

Coronation Street airs on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays on ITV.

Digital Spy

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (03-01-2021), lizann (02-01-2021), parkerman (01-01-2021), tammyy2j (01-01-2021)

I really thought George might be for Mary

Gary

I think gary will let adam know about sarah and callum?s murder and then adam will get him out of it

Quote Originally Posted by swmc66 View Post
    I think gary will let adam know about sarah and callum?s murder and then adam will get him out of it
    kylie killed callum as he attacked sarah but yes gary has no reason to keep that secret now

Exclamation Corrie's Christmas storyline spoilers 2021

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...lers-emma-abi/

Coronation Street bosses have shared some exciting details about the soap's Christmas storyline.

The residents of Weatherfield are still reeling from the horrifying events of Super Soap Week, where the Platts' sinkhole and a massive storm collided for a deadly night on the cobbles.

The ramifications of that night will still be felt at Christmastime, as Jenny Bradley faces the reality of a sad festive period following the death of her former husband Johnny Connor in the sinkhole disaster.

The Weatherfield community is determined to cheer Jenny up, while her daughter Daisy Midgeley makes a play for new love interest Daniel Osbourne (while another admirer remains interested).

Abi Franklin is still struggling over the loss of her son, even after Corey's arrest last week. Though Kelly has been cleared in Seb's murder, Abi will target her anger towards the teenager.

With Kelly facing a hate campaign over the festive season, she begins a downward spiral of her own. Abi steps up her revenge, forcing Kevin and Jack to intervene with some unlikely help from beyond the grave.

Nina Lucas is still intensely grieving Seb too, especially with Roy away from Weathersfield. Asha Alahan is determined to support Nina as romance potentially blossoms between them again.

Carla Connor tries to help Nina with a gift that just might help her through the darkest period in her life.

Wedding bells are ringing too in December as Emma Brooker is ready to marry the man of her dreams, Curtis Delamere ? until a bombshell revelation makes her question everything she thought she knew about Curtis.

The complicated history between Tyrone Dobbs and Fiz Brown will begin a new chapter this Christmas in the aftermath of Alina leaving Tyrone heartbroken earlier this year.

Fiz shows kindness by inviting a lonely Tyrone to celebrate Christmas with her new partner Phill Whittaker and the girls.

What starts as a nice family Christmas takes an unexpected turn when Tyrone tries to kiss Fiz while the pair are reminiscing over years past. How will Fiz react?

Even more family drama comes to the forefront over Christmas when Adam Barlow and Sarah Platt try to bring their families together over the holiday table.

Nick Tilsley and Leanne Battersby also hope for a breakthrough with Sam Blakeman in December as well, whereas George Shuttleworth searches for the perfect gift for Eileen Grimshaw.

It's sure to be an eventful Christmas in the cobbles once again this year!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (10-11-2021)

Exclamation Corrie's New Year 2021 spoilers

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...er-amy-barlow/

Coronation Street is gearing up for a dramatic festive period, as the soap teases secrets, intrigue, and romance over Christmas and New Year.

Following the soap's Christmas storyline reveal, Corrie has also hinted at what fans can expect when Weatherfield rings in 2022 ? and, as ever, it's a lot.

While David Platt and Chesney Brown continue to navigate fatherhood, they both discover in different ways that parenting can cause problems whatever your child's age.

The same can be said for Steve McDonald, who's left reeling when he discovers the identity of Amy Barlow's new love interest.

As the fall-out from Emma Brooker and Curtis Delamere's Christmas wedding continues, Emma is faced with another challenge when she and Faye Windass ? who returns to the cobbles next week ? make a terrible mistake.

This time, it's Emma who agrees to keep quiet about what the pair have been up to.

Elsewhere in Weatherfield, Sarah Platt and Adam Baldwin hope to cement their relationship by starting a family, but when Sarah's new friend Lydia turns out to have a connection to Adam's past, the couple's plans may have to be put on hold.

Zeedan Nazir is also set for some relationship drama, when his ex-wife Marrium arrives on the street wanting answers.

Meanwhile, Tim Metcalfe suffers a health scare that leaves him worried. Rather than talk to his wife Sally about what's happened, he decides to keep the truth a secret ? but how will Sally react when she realises she's the last person to know?

Fresh starts all round, eh?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (10-11-2021)

Interested to see who Amy's boyfriend is. I'm thinking he could be Joshua Peacock? Would explain why Steve recognises him, and would cause problems as he's currently in hiding after Claire attacked Tracy in 2010!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CorneliusBlanc For This Useful Post:

lizann (10-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusBlanc View Post
    Interested to see who Amy's boyfriend is. I'm thinking he could be Joshua Peacock? Would explain why Steve recognises him, and would cause problems as he's currently in hiding after Claire attacked Tracy in 2010!
    interesting idea

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

CorneliusBlanc (12-11-2021)

Thread Information