Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Parata Family

Digital Spy article:

AUST PACE!

Home and Away airs a surprise exit for one member of the Parata family
    Who left Summer Bay?

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...e-peters-exit/

Home and Away spoilers follow from Australian-pace episodes, which some UK readers may prefer to avoid.

Home and Away star Bree Peters has shared a heartfelt message with fans after her character Gemma Parata left Summer Bay.

The actress's alter ego made a surprise departure in Wednesday's episode on Channel 7 in Australia (July 8), heading back to New Zealand for an emotional occasion.

Gemma had arranged the trip to scatter the ashes of her late husband Mikaere.

Her son Nikau and brothers-in-law Ari and Tane were supposed to go too, but they were blocked from leaving the country due to Colby Thorne's ongoing investigation into a robbery at the Diner.

Gemma went ahead with the flight without the rest of her family, realising that paying final respects to Mikaere should be her main priority.

While there were no clues on screen to suggest Gemma wouldn't be back, Bree shocked fans on Instagram by revealing that it was her final episode.

Bree paid tribute to Home and Away producer Lucy Addario and script executive Louise Bowes for introducing the Paratas, the show's first Māori family.

She said: "Leaving in a jet plane...dunno when I'll be back again .... but thank you x thank you @lucyaddario @louise.bowes for helping bring faces like mine to HA.

"Thank you to all those who support and facilitate diversity with courage, nerve and commitment. More.More.More."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCYKJh4s...ource=ig_embed

Lucy replied: "Love you @breepetersnz! thank you for bringing your incredible talent, huge heart and voice to Summer Bay.

"You are talented beyond words and your ability to touch hearts is an extraordinary super power. We are so grateful for Gemma and the Parata whanau and were blessed to see your beautiful face everyday on screen and off."

Bree's on-screen family also paid tribute.

Kawakawa Fox-Reo, who plays Nikau, said: "Thank you for holding my hand. Thank you for challenging me to dig deeper into myself. Thank you for setting a massive standard to strive for.

"Thank you for being patient with me even when I was unprepared. Thank you for making authenticity a priority. Blessed indeed to have the opportunity to play your son. You the bomb oi."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCYPza4l...ource=ig_embed

Ethan Browne, who plays Tane, commented: "Our Parata kuini, our matriarch. Nothing but deep gratitude and pure Aroha for you, e hoa! Stay cheeky, thank you for continually sharing your light and knowledge with us all @breepetersnz , you're bloody awesome!"

Rob Kipa-Williams, who plays Ari, also said: "You're a stella actress @breepetersnz tonight's performance was heartbreaking. Respect for holding to your values.. #epic."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCYRxSxl...ource=ig_embed

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCYNc8ns...ource=ig_embed

A spokesperson for Channel 5, which broadcasts Home and Away in the UK, told Digital Spy: "We can confirm that Bree's character, Gemma, made a departure from Australian screens last night. UK viewers will see Gemma's departure on air over the coming weeks."

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.15pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Mondays to Thursdays at 7pm on Channel 7 (Australia).

does every new family have to be 3 males with 1 female, gemma and nic could go out on their own leave the warring uncles behind

Nowtolove.com.au article:

AUST PACE!

Last night's powerful Haka scene on Home and Away marks an historical step forward in diversity for Aussie TV shows
    Fans praised the show for the incredible on-screen portrayal

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...ka-scene-64549

Fans have flooded social media with praise after watching incredibly moving scenes on Home and Away last night.

The show delved into the storyline of the Parata family, a Maori family who arrived in Summer Bay earlier this year.

After attempting to get back to New Zealand to pay respects to one of their late family members to no avail, the family are forced to stay in Australia - so instead, they acknowledge his memory with a Haka on the beach.

The incredible scenes of the family performing the Haka were nothing short of breathtaking - the ceremonial dance is a foundational part of Maori culture, and has been used for various events of importance in New Zealand for hundreds of years.

Of course, many will likely be familiar with it being performed by the Kiwi rugby team, the All Blacks, before each of their games.

The Haka is also performed in respect of a person at a funeral, as well as at other occasions of significance.

In the powerful scene, three of the Parata men stand together on Home and Away's iconic beach, fictionally known as Summer Bay, located in Sydney's Palm Beach in real life.

"What are we even doing here?" one asks.

"We're here to remember your dad," Ari tells them.

The three men break into a deeply passionate, emotional haka as they look out over the ocean.

The show ends as they finish the traditional dance with an eerie silence that left viewers quite frankly speechless.

The scene clearly struck a chord with fans, with many taking to social media to share their thoughts.

"WOW! That was an extraordinary, powerful, very culturally aware episode of #HomeAndAway tonight!" Wrote Twitter user @upside000.

"I'm blown away by it. Well done guys - it was a beautiful and very touching episode incorporating the culture of our #Maori brothers and sisters! About time! More culture please," they added.

Another said: "Great to see some kiwi culture on @homeandaway tonight - awesome job guys!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCar6Q6M...ource=ig_embed

It seems the actors themselves were deeply moved by filming the scenes as well.

Speaking to Huffington Post Australia, Rob Kipa-Williams, who plays Ari said his performance was dedicated to his own Aunty, Leah, who recently passed away back in New Zealand.

Rob was unable to attend her funeral given the current COVID-19 restrictions.

"This sudden passing was heartbreaking, a huge shock and sadly I missed her Tangi (funeral)," he said.

He explained how he still played a special part in her funeral.

"My cousins video called me as they carried my Aunty to the hearse from our tribal meeting house and the men of my family broke in to Haka. I joined them through the phone screen."

He added he was "Sending my love across the sea to her as we do in tonight's episode for Mikaere. I dedicate this episode to my Aunty Leah. I love her and miss her dearly!"

The scenes were certainly a first for the show, and a beautiful nod of acknowledgement to the Indigenous people of our neighbouring country.

We look forward to seeing more incorporation of different cultures and diversity on the show, and other TV shows across Australia as we continue to educate, advocate and work towards a world without systematic racism.

Did Nikau rob the diner?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (04-08-2020)

I really don?t think so.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kaz21 For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (04-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Did Nikau rob the diner?
    We still don't know who did it. It hasn't been mentioned for a while and you get the feeling we might not ever find out who it was (did they deliberately make Nikau look like the prime suspect - with the dark hoody etc - while it was really just some random?).

I agree with Kaz that I don't think it was him. Nikau had a number of opportunities later to admit to his family privately if he actually did it, but he has always insisted he is innocent. Also, when the two of them have been alone together, he has also sworn to Bella that he didn't do it. So unless he lied to his family (because he was embarrassed), and also lied to Bella (because her brother is a cop).............

Anyway, with the upcoming police storyline about Ross's body being found, I just get the feeling the Diner break in will get lost in the wash. We will see.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

kaz21 (04-08-2020), lizann (05-08-2020)

why was nik going on the run in tori's car with grace if innocent and how does tane make his money

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    why was nik going on the run in tori's car with grace if innocent and how does tane make his money
    His explanation is that given his families history with the cops (his dad & uncle etc), he thought that nobody would believe him, the cops are out to get them etc, so when Bella tipped him off about Colby organising a line-up, he just panicked & decided to run away. Taking the car was an opportunistic/spur of the moment thing - & he obviously didn't know that Grace was on the backseat (by the way, I don't think we have found out if the cops ever found Tori's car ??). Nikau is certainly guilty of car theft (plus kidnapping - although unintential), but once again he will probably never get charged with that. We will see.

Colby has mentioned that when he looked into the Parata's background he found that the cops have long suspected that Tane was also involved in 'dodgy' dealings, but have never been able to pin anything on him (which gave Colby more reason to suspect where the money was coming from to pay for the house rental etc). In Aust pace episodes we have found out that Tane has indeed been doing jobs for a dodgy mate to make his money, but Mac has now given him a job at Salt to try & keep him on the straight and narrow & keep the family out of trouble. It remains to be seen whether this lasts!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

lizann (05-08-2020), tammyy2j (13-08-2020)

i hope we found out who did do it

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (06-08-2020), tammyy2j (13-08-2020)

how could gemma travel but not the boys?

Thread Information