Thread: Kevin's sister Debbie (Sue Devaney)

Exclamation Kevin's sister Debbie (Sue Devaney)

Coronation Street is set to get a blast from the past as Kevin Webster's sister Debbie returns to the cobbles after decades away.

Actress Sue Devaney will reprise the role which she last played in 1985, returning to the show for a brief stint in the autumn.

According to Metro, Debbie will come back to visit brother Kevin and nephew Jack and also comes with some news.

Sue will begin filming for the appearance soon, and will appear in a number of episodes later on this year.

Debbie is Kevin's younger sister and only initially appeared over a couple of months before moving to Southampton with Bill and Elaine.

The last we heard about her was in 2011, when the Websters were informed that Debbie had purchased a villa in Turkey.

Meanwhile, from older faces to newer ones – Corrie has been filming tragic scenes for Emma Brooker as she prepares to scatter her dad's ashes. New photographs have emerged of star Alexandra Mardell saying goodbye at Weatherfield County FC.

Digital Spy

Coronation Street star Sue Devaney opens up on addiction trauma as she returns as Debbie Webster

Coronation Street is set to welcome back Sue Devaney for another guest stint as Kevin Webster’s (Michael Le Vell) sister Debbie next month – and it soon becomes clear that she less than approves of Kevin’s love interest Abi Franklin (Sally Carman).

But while Sue is delighted to revisit the role she originally left a staggering 36 years ago, her main focus right now is on the battle against homelessness, with statistics showing that the problem in the UK is worse than ever.

Having herself been in a situation where she was penniless due to addiction, Sue knows the plight and fears of being left with nothing and is working with The Big Issue on a campaign to make a change.

Speaking passionately about the scourge of the homelessness crisis, Sue shared: ‘There’s a huge misunderstanding towards homeless people because some of them, not all of them, drink and do drugs.

‘The majority of those people do not choose the life they have. People drink and do drugs, not because they want to, but because they have very little choice. And that’s something I think a lot of people don’t get. They need help. Not judgement.’

Addressing her own battles with substance abuse which almost left her without hope, Sue continued: ‘I’m passionate about helping these people because I know what it’s like to have no money. No job. I have experienced mental health issues, low self esteem, low self worth like many of us.

‘I know what it’s like to be an addict. People turn to substance abuse because, initially, it takes the pain away, even if it’s just for an hour or so. Then, it stops working and the very thing you used to take the pain away is causing you catastrophic pain.

‘I am lucky. I got help. I had the disease of more more more… more drink, more sugar, just an insatiable appetite for the bad things in life! Nothing in moderation, everything in excess. I attracted the wrong type of folk.

‘Am I less of a person for having the disease of addiction? I am not. So are they less of a person for using drugs and alcohol to cope?’

Sue is working with Big Issue on a project dubbed New Issue, which encourages businesses to fund £40 a month on a subscription – with the money directly going to help the homeless.

She said: ‘Good on the businesses who are doing all they can for those that are less fortunate than themselves and struggling in life.

‘We need to stop putting a plaster on the problem, and start getting to the root of the problem, but being able to provide help for these people is a very good place to start.

‘It’s also got decent independent journalism in it, I read the big issue… I’d definitely read this! This is a fab new project, and I can’t wait to see how it all works out.’

Before the lockdown, Sue was touring with Calendar Girls and spent much of her spare time interacting, chatting with, supporting and photographing people with no bed to sleep in in order to get a real handle on the severity of the problem.

Through meeting the people and hearing their stories, the actress became more empassioned than ever to do what she can – as she declares that the situation has got out of control over the last decade.

She said: ‘The worst hit area I have seen by far is my home City of Manchester. I had a couple of weeks off the tour to film a few episodes of Corrie and had a walk around the centre.

‘Why, when we have enough money to buy army weapons, Brexit deals, Covid apps that don’t work, can we not remove our vulnerable people off the streets and give them help, food and warmth? I don’t get it!’

Sue added that as she gratefully continues to work and have shelter, she will never forget those who are less fortunate and that is something that was instilled to her by her father from a young age.

She recalled: ‘My dad lost everything and went bankrupt when I was 17 – we moved from typical suburbia to a rough estate in Rochdale – my father was a very private man, he had integrity and strength.

‘I moved to London to do a play in the West End and a kids series called Jonny Briggs. When I popped back home, my dad used to take me to all the backstreet rough pubs. “Now listen Susan,” he’d say. “These people will be more honest than any of those bankers, w**kers and politicians out there, because having nothing means having nothing to lose. The most honest people you will ever meet.”

‘He used to say to me: “Wherever you go in your life, whatever you do, never forget where you’ve come from” – and I live by that today.’

i thought she was rich, gave sophie travel money

now talk she is broke working with ray as roxy

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    i thought she was rich, gave sophie travel money

now talk she is broke working with ray as roxy
    I think she had won some money which she gave to Sophie for her travels ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (30-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I think she had won some money which she gave to Sophie for her travels ...
    just like kevin won

Inheritance

Last time she gave Kevin some inheritance money which Sophie used some of i think

Quote Originally Posted by swmc66 View Post
    Last time she gave Kevin some inheritance money which Sophie used some of i think
    Think she won some money and gave it to Kevin who then let Sophie have it to go on her travels...

so ray's ex and wants the street for development so working with him

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    so ray's ex and wants the street for development so working with him
    Is she his ex wife?

Coronation Street star Sue Devaney has signed a new contract, keeping her on the show as Debbie Webster until at least spring 2022.

First appearing in 1984, Debbie has been a huge hit with viewers since returning to the cobbles on a permanent basis.

Sue confirmed the happy news, describing Debbie as a joy to play.

"I absolutely love playing her, and I have just signed a new contract that will take me to April 2022," she said. "When I first came back, I never imagined I would be around for that length of time and I am delighted.

"Every day when I drive into work, I have a big grin on my face. I am so happy to be here. When I get to work with new people I haven't worked with before that I have watched on screen, I am so excited.

"She is such a fun character to play. She reacts differently with different people. If she is talking to someone important, the posh voice is on. When she is having a row with Abi [Franklin], all the northern twang comes out. I describe her as the Joan Collins of Weatherfield.

"I love the fact that she is a bitch with a heart. I love that she doesn?t let anyone get in her way. She thinks in her world what she says is right.

"When she was in the freezer with Kevin, you see a real vulnerable side of her but she doesn't let that out that often. She goes out of the door, she puts her armour on and paints her face on, and she is the warrior woman. She is a powerful strong woman with great style."

Sue also discussed whether Debbie can win people's trust again, having previously allied with Ray Crosby.

"She wants to turn everything around," she said. "It will take a while, but she is hoping in time that she can make good and start again in Weatherfield with a community and family around her and her own business.

"She wants to help and be of use in the community. She wants to belong. Her problem is, she always thinks she knows what is right for everyone else."

Digital Spy

Thread Information