Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lydia Hart (Karen Blick)

she is raped

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emm...ape-storyline/

This story discusses topics including rape and sexual assault.

Emmerdale spoilers follow.

Emmerdale will explore the impact of sexual assault in a new storyline with Lydia Dingle.

Producer Laura Shaw has worked closely with Rape Crisis on a gripping story that will involve Lydia being raped by her childhood friend Craig.

The two have a long romantic history and Lydia once went through the tragedy of losing their child at birth. While they've recently met again, Craig's true nature will be revealed only after he gets close to Lydia.

In a September episode, Craig will force himself on Lydia. She'll be left with the dilemma so many face in real life: whether to report him to the police.

As Lydia grapples with this life-changing decision, her friends and family will become increasingly alarmed as she withdraws from her loved ones.

Actress Karen Blick has said of this issue-based plot: "Lydia's rape is one of the most important and sensitive stories I have been part of during my time in Emmerdale. The research, preparation and aftermath of this story has been challenging and eye-opening for me.

"One in four women have been raped or sexually assaulted as an adult, and after reading this statistic, I found myself standing in the canteen at ITV looking around as that figure really shocked me."

"I have spoken to and met with women impacted by this crime, but this is very much Lydia's story," she continued. "Emmerdale tackles these socially important stories so well, and I hope anyone impacted by this storyline can seek help and support, because no one should have to face this alone."

Producer Laura Shaw has explained that the storyline has been developed to "raise awareness of this issue and hopefully encourage any women who have been in a similar position to Lydia to speak out".

Rape Crisis's chief executive, Jayne Butler, credited Emmerdale with addressing an important issue that is sure to "resonate with the thousands of victims and survivors".

"Although it can be difficult to see these experiences reflected on screen, when they are represented realistically and sensitively it can be a really powerful way to raise awareness," Butler said.

This storyline will begin next month in Emmerdale.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

johntrevor (24-08-2023)

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emm...yline-details/

Emmerdale has revealed the full details of Lydia Dingle's devastating storyline.

Soap bosses have been working with Rape Crisis England and Wales on an issue-based story where Lydia is sexually assaulted by her childhood friend Craig.

The two have been reunited years after they lost a child together, and while they will have some catharsis, Craig's dark intentions will become clear in upcoming scenes.

Next week, Lydia and Sam are surprised when Craig suddenly returns to Wishing Well without any warning. Craig wants to talk through his past with Lydia and she agrees to take him to their late child's resting place.

The two will share moving scenes overlooking the area where their child's ashes were spread, leading to a charged moment where they nearly share a kiss.

Lydia is determined to keep her kiss secret from Sam, leading her to snap at friend Kim Tate at Home Farm when she's about to open up about the experience with Craig.

She goes to Craig's office to hand in her resignation letter, but is surprised when Craig explains how much it has meant to him to have some closure on their past.

In the wake of Craig's emotional outpouring, Lydia relucantly takes back her resignation. However, the situation takes a very dark turn when Craig suddenly turns aggressive and forces himself on Lydia.

Lydia is understandably left in a state of shock by Craig's attack, especially as he insists on driving her back home to Sam.

Once she gets back home, Lydia withdraws to her bedroom and sobs after declining a call from Craig. Lydia tries to shut away the pain by hiding the clothes she was wearing and insisting on keeping the rape a secret from her loved ones.

In the coming months, Lydia's friends and family will become alarmed by her withdrawing from them as she struggles to process what she's been through.

Speaking about this storyline, cast member Karen Blick has said: "Lydia's rape is one of the most important and sensitive stories I have been part of during my time in Emmerdale. The research, preparation and aftermath of this story has been challenging and eye-opening for me.

"One in four women have been raped or sexually assaulted as an adult, and after reading this statistic, I found myself standing in the canteen at ITV looking around as that figure really shocked me."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

johntrevor (29-08-2023)

do we think pregnant from rape?

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    do we think pregnant from rape?
    Normally happens...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

johntrevor (26-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    She tells Kim

Quote Originally Posted by johntrevor View Post
    She tells Kim