Page 811 of 1123 FirstFirst ... 311711761801809810811812813821861911 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,110 of 11230

Thread: Coronation Street - Current Episode Discussion - V

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    All collections are made by local councils and is free at the point of use. It is one of the services provided in our Council Tax. Recycling and land fill sites also run by the Council and paid for out of Council Tax.
    I read an article on your 'council tax' but still don't understand what exactly it is (just like having to pay the BBC to watch TV, not sure why people keep doing that)? Who pays if you are renting? And what exactly does it cover? I pay rent & the only separate thing I pay is electricity. But where I live it is only for the lights, appliances, etc., the landlord pays for the heating (radiators, although there aren't many places left that still use radiators as a heating system) & hot water. He also is responsible for water as a whole, sewer, & garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by bratface View Post
    although there aren't many places left that still use radiators as a heating system) & hot water.
    What do most places use for heating now, if not radiators?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerOver View Post
    What do most places use for heating now, if not radiators?
    Electric? Or forced air gas. At least for apartments, duplexes, etc. I live in a building that was built back in 1915 & it would be really expensive to convert it to electric baseboard heating for each individual apartment (there are 19). The radiators are heated by a hot water boiler in the basement.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bratface For This Useful Post:

RogerOver (04-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bratface View Post
    I read an article on your 'council tax' but still don't understand what exactly it is (just like having to pay the BBC to watch TV, not sure why people keep doing that)? Who pays if you are renting? And what exactly does it cover? I pay rent & the only separate thing I pay is electricity. But where I live it is only for the lights, appliances, etc., the landlord pays for the heating (radiators, although there aren't many places left that still use radiators as a heating system) & hot water. He also is responsible for water as a whole, sewer, & garbage.
    Local Councils in the UK cover a whole range of services from garbage collection and recycling to upkeep of roads, leisure facilities, social care, planning, parks and recreation areas, schools and libraries. All of which is paid for with our Council Tax. Council Tax also goes to support other services such as the Police and Fire services. Councils also proved council housing as well, though tenants do have to pay extra rent for that.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    Local Councils in the UK cover a whole range of services from garbage collection and recycling to upkeep of roads, leisure facilities, social care, planning, parks and recreation areas, schools and libraries. All of which is paid for with our Council Tax. Council Tax also goes to support other services such as the Police and Fire services. Councils also proved council housing as well, though tenants do have to pay extra rent for that.

So it's like the property taxes that property owners pay here in the US?

mimi sounds like dame edna

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

parkerman (05-07-2022), RogerOver (05-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    mimi sounds like dame edna
    Ha ha! I'm still laughing at that now. Thanks.

I am amazed that nobody suspected Hope of damaging the dresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis tanner View Post
    I am amazed that nobody suspected Hope of damaging the dresses.
    Hope probably trained Cerberus to knock the wine bottle over.

While I was checking the spelling, I came across this:
    "In Greek mythology, Cerberus often referred to as the hound of Hades, is a multi-headed dog that guards the gates of the Underworld to prevent the dead from leaving."
    Just what we need to keep Mimi in her place.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RogerOver For This Useful Post:

lizann (05-07-2022), Son of Cain (05-07-2022)

I don't think it has ever been mentioned before having a brewery on the doorstep. Have any of the street residents ever worked there, being just around the corner it would have been better employment than the knicker factory or the kebab shop. How long has it been closed? It can't have been long as nobody has nicked the aluminium kegs.
    Sent from my desktop computer using my fingers on the keyboard.

Thread Information