Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Alf Stewart (Ray Meagher)

Daily Telegraph article:

Home and Away?s Ray Meagher reveals new heart shock and supports Give With Heart day

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...08286bba16aec1

Ray Meagher?s sense of humour remains as healthy as ever, but the Home and Away larrikin has revealed he has undergone more heart surgery, after a shock triple bypass last year.

The 76-year-old actor, beloved around the world as Summer Bay statesman Alf Stewart, said he suffered ?a few twinges? while doing his post-op exercise six months after his surgery.

But a prompt GP visit discovered the blocked artery, with a Sydney surgeon inserting a life-saving stent within 24 hours of his doctor?s visit.

The jovial TV star joked he was now ?ready to take on the marathon at the Tokyo Games, where I?m sure I will medal, as they say;? but used his health scare to remind Australians to commit to regular check-ups.

Meagher has also lent his celebrity to a new Heart Foundation campaign, supporting its fundraiser, ?Give With Heart Day? - this Wednesday.

?For me, it?s the same old message: people have got to get checked,? Meagher told News Corp Australia.

?Blokes feel like they?re hypochondriacs or wooses, or something, if they?ve got a bit of a twinge and tend to ignore it. Not all blokes, but a lot do and I think men are worse than women in ignoring those things. Like it?s a dreadful sign of weakness ? I don?t know what the rationale is, but they don?t listen to the body and you?ve got to,? he said, firmly.

?If you?re getting a bit of a niggle, then go and see your GP and he?ll send you to the right people. You might be alive instead of dead, and I think that?s a better option.?

Meagher has been diligent about maintaining a healthy diet and keeping up exercise, even while filming the Channel 7 long-running soap.

?Instead of letting assistant directors or runners drive you from wherever the unit base is on location, down to the set, I always say ?give me a little bit of notice when they need us? and I walk each way.?

He added: ?The old ticker can creep up on you without giving you warnings and some people aren?t as lucky as me. They don?t get the bloody warning or a twinge ? just bang [and gone]. It is just so important to get checked and on a regular basis.?

Donate today and every dollar donated by October 7 will be quadrupled by the Heart Foundation?s donors.

Nowtolove.com.au article. Not a spoiler, but an update on Ray's recent heart procedure etc:

Aussie icon Ray Meagher shared more details about his surprise surgical procedure and retirement plans
    ''They opened me up."

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...h-battle-67673

It would be hard to imagine Australian TV without Home and Away's iconic star Ray Meagher because he has stolen the hearts of audiences young and old for generations.

However, speaking to Fitzy and Wippa, the 76-year-old shared details about his surprise triple bypass, which has us fearing we may be seeing less of the stalwart in Summer Bay soon.

But, in true Ray style, he reflected on the surgical procedure with a good sense of humour.

"Well they opened me up but I thought I'd have a double bypass, the doctor came in a couple of nights later, splattered in blood, he'd had a crack in a few other people.

"I said 'how'd it go, are both in tubes tied up alright'? He said "what do you mean both?" he said.

"You had a triple!". While he was in there he saw something that looked a bit ordinary so we thought why not, by two get one free!" Ray told the radio hosts.

Even though to most people, it would be hard to be so seemingly unfazed about receiving a triple bypass, Ray is taking it in his lighthearted stride because it won't be long until he has to go through the ordeal again.

The actor told Fitzy that he has been getting the procedure done regularly for the past few decades and that he expects to receive another one in six months.

"It has been five yearly for the last 20 or 30 years or something but the last one I did, I don't think Julie McGaurran thought I'd live another five years.

"So she only offered three and she rang the other day and said "Jeez three years have gone quickly, we better have another chat", so she must think I'm gonna live another one year anyway, she'll probably offer six months!"said Ray.

Ray's friendly face and grandfather vibes have already been immortalized, but the actor revealed that he has no intention to step away from soapy life just yet, which is good news for fans of Home and Away.

"Well Fitzy, my mind is wondering a bit at the moment, occasionally it wanders into retirement but then quickly turns around and thinks well what are you going to do there!" said Ray.

Ray also took a moment to talk about former Home and Away star Johnny Ruffo who is currently battling cancer for the second time.

When Wippa asked him how Johnny is going, the veteran actor had the highest praise for the young actor.

"You've embarrassed me, I've gotta go see him. He's a good bloke, it's just so indiscriminate. It's usually the good guys that cop it. I reckon I could live to 300!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Perdita (12-05-2021)

Digital Spy article:

Home and Away hints at mystery health scare for Alf Stewart
    Roo tries to help out, but will her father be willing to accept?

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...-health-scare/

Home and Away spoilers follow.

Home and Away's Alf Stewart is set to face a mystery health scare in an upcoming episode, as he continues to push himself too hard.

In scenes scheduled to air this week in Australia, and later next month in the UK, the Summer Bay resident will find his busy-body ways getting the better of him when he suffers a sudden dizzy spell.

Initially, Alf (Ray Meagher) brushes off the concerns of those around him, but is it just that he's spreading himself too thin working at the caravan park, the bait shop and the surf club? Or might there be something more worrying going on?

Tane (Ethan Browne) notices that Alf seems more knackered than usual and offers to help at the shop. Alf, determined he can manage, turns him down though. Later, when Marilyn (Emily Symons) and daughter Roo (Georgie Parker) suggest he's doing too much and should take Tane on for a bit, he just waves them away.

"Roo tries to get Alf to slow down, but he's never going to while there's stuff to do," Meagher, 76, recently told TV Week, before revealing that Alf will be seen snapping at Roo to get her off his case.

Taking the fact that Alf had a heart attack not all that long ago into consideration, Roo, Marilyn and Irene (Lynne McGranger) enter into crisis mode and get together to discuss what they can do about his stubbornness. The chat ends with Roo vowing to cut her hours at school so that she can look after her father.

But how will Alf respond to her decision?

Home and Away airs on Channel 7 in Australia and Channel 5 in the UK. Selected classic episodes are also available via Amazon Prime Video.

Not a spoiler, but it's Ray Meagher's 77th birthday.

Nowtolove.com.au article:

Ray Meagher's Home and Away co-stars flooded the TV veteran with loving messages for his milestone birthday
    ''We love you.''

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...birthday-68252

Every day is a day worthy of celebrating Home And Away stalwart Ray Meagher if you ask us.

But, Sunday particularly called for celebration of the Summer Bay veteran as he marked his 77th birthday.

It's no surprise Ray's Home And Away co-stars jumped at the chance to share well-wishes and messages of love on his special day.

One of Ray's closest friends from the show, Emily Symons who plays Marilyn, shared a series of beautiful snaps of Ray with her son Henry.

"Happy birthday Ray 🎂 Thank you for always being so kind to my boy. We love you 💙 #mytwofavouriteredheads," Emily penned.

James Stewart also chimed in with a comment on the post, writing, "Happy Birthday Ray👍🏽".

Another of the 77-year-old's co-stars and friends wanting to commemorate the day was Georgie Parker.

The keen photographer shared beautiful shots of Ray with his co-stars on set along with a sweet message.

"Happy birthday to you Ray/ Father. We spend many hrs/days/weeks together, and I love every second of it. Aren't I lucky🤸🏾*♂️The whole cast and crew love you very much Happy 🥳 happy birthday 🥂💋🧡," Georgie penned.

Georgie recently spoke of her close bond with Ray who plays her on-screen father, Alf, on the show.

"Time has flown by! I love this character; she's so spirited," she told TV WEEK.

"Playing Alf Stewart's daughter, I'm also tethered to a much-loved man. I adore Ray, we get along so well and he's truly the beating heart of the show."

And the feeling is mutual, with Ray recounting the small group of co-stars who who live in the fictional Stewart household.

"The likes of Emily Symons, Ada Nicodemou, Georgie Parker and Belinda Giblin have all lived in my house," he said.

"It's a pleasure to work with them every day."

The soap's makeup artist Laura Vazquez posted a picture of herself with Ray posing in the show's dressing room.

She captioned the post, "He really is the best Happy Birthday Ray."

Home and Away's official Instagram account also made a birthday post for their most loyal and iconic actors.

"Join us in wishing Ray Meagher a very happy birthday today! 🎁🎉🍾🥳🧁," the post's caption read.

The sweet picture of Ray paired with the caption was taken by none other than Georgie Parker.

Home and Away: Alf reveals he's leaving Summer Bay and a nasty rift could cause Lyrik to break up
    There's plenty of comings and goings in the Bay this week!

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...lf-kirby-74027

When one door opens, another closes in Summer Bay. This time, it's not just anyone deciding to leave Summer Bay ? it's Alf!

Since returning from Merimbula to see wife Martha, Alf (Ray Meagher) has been in a terrible mood.

With some digging, daughter Roo (Georgie Parker) discovered that Martha (Belinda Giblin) has decided to stay there for good ? she won't be returning to Summer Bay. But what does this mean?

As the week unfolds, Alf gets no closer to making his decision. Roo pushes for an answer and he snaps. Either way he loses the life he loves, or the woman he loves.

Conceding that he would follow Martha anywhere, a sombre Alf breaks the news to Roo: 'I'm leaving Summer Bay'.

Say it isn't so!

DS article:

Home and Away star Ray Meagher discusses his future on soap
    "I'll go eventually."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...uture-on-soap/

Ray Meagher is a pillar of the Home and Away cast, having played his character Alf for over three decades since appearing in the Australian soap's first-ever episode back in 1988.

But all good things come to an end at some point and Alf has been thinking about leaving Summer Bay, so where does that leave Meagher? In a new interview with Inside Soap, Meagher discussed his future on the long-running soap and was asked the direct question of would he ever leave?

"Over 90% of the time, I love it here. And a lot of that is to do with the people. The crew are very much a part of that ? they're absolutely fantastic. It's like leaving one family and going to another one every day for work," Meagher said.

"In terms of a straight answer, I'll go eventually. But when? Who knows?"

This month featured the storyline of Martha deciding to leave Summer Bay and relocate to Merimbula for good. Martha made the decision after a trip with her partner Alf and it left a huge question mark over the couple's relationship.

However, it also made Alf think about his future in Summer Bay. Alf later talks to Justin, who asks if moving away from Summer Bay is really the right thing for him. Alf is pretty insistent that he wants to make Martha happy, so may well move to Merimbula with her.

It remains to be seen whether or not Alf will move away from Summer Bay with Martha, with this storyline set to play out in the coming weeks. Again, it is unclear what it would mean for Meagher if his character did decide to move. Meagher may end up leaving the show altogether, or could still be featured in some capacity.

So far, he has been credited in over 4,400 episodes of Home and Away, making him the soap's longest-serving actor.

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.45pm on Channel 5 and 6pm on 5STAR. First-look screenings air at 6.30pm on 5STAR and the show also streams on My5.

In Australia, the show airs Mondays to Thursdays at 7pm on Channel 7 and streams on 7plus.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (26-08-2022)

alf to me is the heart of the show

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (29-08-2022), Perdita (30-08-2022)

Ch7 will be celebrating Ray Meagher?s (Alf) career on the revived 'This Is Your Life', on Oct 11 in Aust.

Yahoo.com article:

Home and Away star Ray Meagher's tearful reunion with Kate Ritchie

https://au.yahoo.com/lifestyle/home-...052409903.html

Channel Seven will be celebrating Home and Away star Ray Meagher?s incredible career on the revived reality TV format This Is Your Life.

In a promo for the programme, which airs on Tuesday 11th October, the Aussie icon is seen getting teary as his past and present costars share their stories.

Ray has played Alf Stewart on the soap since 1988 and holds the record as the longest Australian to hold a continuous role.

Summer Bay residents from around the world have come together to share stories about Ray, including Chris Hemsworth, Danii Minogue, Georgie Parker, Ada Nicodemou, Emily Symons and Bec Hewitt.

The Gold Logie winner looked stunned when host Melissa Doyle surprised him with the big red book on the Home and Away set.

?You are kidding,? he tells the host. ?Hate to think what you?ve got in there, but I guess we?ll find out!?

While Thor star Chris Hemsworth calls Ray the ?godfather of Australian television?, the star gets teary during his reunion with Kate Ritchie.

Kate played Sally Fletcher for 20 years from the age of eight, and she tells Ray that he ?means a lot to her?.

Melissa also teases ?untold stories?, ?massive surprises?, and ?photos the star has never shared with anyone?.

In another surprise move, Ray?s wife Gilly and his stepdaughter Rebecca will share stories about the star for the first time ever.

Fans were ecstatic when they heard the news, with many rushing to social media.

?He?s an inspiration to Australian television. Will be watching,? one remarked.

?I can?t think of anyone more deserving [of] this honour?Ray is a legend,? another chimed in.

?So deserving! Ray Meagher is a legend of Australian television and a very much loved cast member of Home and Away. ?Stone the flaming? crows? Alf, we love you to bits!!!!? a third commented.

And:

Chris Hemsworth pays tribute to Home and Away's Ray Meagher in emotional episode of This Is Your Life

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...y-Meagher.html

Home and Away: Alf lashes out at Cash over Marilyn's disappearance
    Marilyn may be alive and well, but her self-imposed exile is affecting Alf?s health.

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...-at-cash-75158

This week on Home And Away, after seeking out police officer Cash's (Nicholas Cartwright) help to track her down, Alf (Ray Meagher) is furious when Cash insists Marilyn (Emily Symons) doesn't want to be contacted, and he won't
    reveal where she is.

"Alf is devastated," Ray Meagher, 78, tells TV WEEK. "He feels that had she told him the truth from the start, they wouldn't have had all these problems.

Having said that, he would accept her back as a dear friend immediately. Their relationship has always been very, very good."

Alf just can't accept Cash's decision.

"This isn't like Cash is saying where the crown jewels are, or 'I know where the body is hidden and I'm not going to tell you' ? it's Marilyn!" Ray explains.

Feeling protective of his friend, and frustrated, Alf's anger gets the better of him and he lunges at Cash. But his outburst doesn't last long before his ongoing heart condition plays up, forcing him to simmer down.

Thankfully, his daughter Roo (Georgie Parker) and Nikau (Kawakawa Fox-Reo) step in, calmly asking Cash for just a little bit of information. Eventually, Cash reveals that Marilyn is volunteering at a youth shelter in the city.

When the friends arrive they find Marilyn, desperate to atone for her past. She feels guilty she gave up her baby daughter Heather (Sofia Nolan) nearly 30 years ago and now she's helping other wayward youth.

A headstrong Marilyn insists she's not coming back to the Bay, but Roo and Nikau point out that here she's surrounded by strangers ? they couldn't possibly understand the trauma she's gone through.

Can they convince her to come back home where she belongs?

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...ive-year-deal/

Home and Away celebrates its milestone 35th anniversary today (January 17), which also means actor Ray Meagher is celebrating 35 years as Alf Stewart.

The actor has been a Summer Bay resident since the very first episode and he's not going away anytime soon.

In an interview with The Sun, Meagher confirmed that he's extended his time on the soap. "I signed a contract last year for another five years!" he said. "So I?ll definitely see that out."

Meagher also revealed that, way back in 1988, he refused to sign a two-year contract with the soap, opting to only commit to six months as Alf: "It seems ridiculous now but I wouldn?t agree to the two-year contract they wanted me to sign," he said.

"We?d done the pilot and to be honest, I was older and more cynical, and was convinced it would crash and burn like most do. So when they said 'We?re going to series and we want all the main characters to stay for two years', I was like 'You?ve got to be joking!'

"It seemed like a lifetime, so I told them there was no way I was signing for two years. Then they tried to get me to sign for a year, but again I refused. In the end I agreed to six months."

Meagher added: "Having been home for six months I was a bit seduced by that and signed for another six months. Then they said 'What about another year?' And then it became three-year deals and five-year deals, and here were are 35 years later and I?m a lot older."

Last August the actor said that he'd leave the soap "eventually" but likened the cast and crew to family.

"Over 90% of the time, I love it here. And a lot of that is to do with the people," he said when asked about his future by Inside Soap.

"The crew are very much a part of that ? they're absolutely fantastic. It's like leaving one family and going to another one every day for work. In terms of a straight answer, I'll go eventually. But when? Who knows?"
    Last edited by Perdita; 18-01-2023 at 18:39.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (19-01-2023)

Thread Information