Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jane Beale (Laurie Brett)

EastEnders star Laurie Brett has defended the length of the 'Who Killed Lucy Beale?' storyline.

The BBC soap killed off Lucy in April 2014, but the aftermath of her demise is still playing out on screen nearly two years later.

Viewers have seen the Beales try to cover up the truth this year, but their actions could come back to haunt them over the Christmas period.

Speaking candidly about the mixed reaction from fans, Brett - who plays Jane Beale - admitted: "I think there's such a juxtaposition in this age of social media. Some people want everything right now, but the art of storytelling is long-term.

"With the Bobby story and the Dean rape story, we've gone back to long-term storytelling. At the end of the day, you can't have everything instantly. We're not on Instagram, we're not on Twitter - we're a television programme and you're seeing a family go through this maze of stuff. That takes time."

At Christmas, there'll be another shift in the storyline as Bobby finally discovers his guilt. He learns the truth from Sharon Mitchell's young son Dennis, who has overheard a conversation about Lucy's murder.

Brett continued: "Part of the conclusion comes at Christmas, when Bobby is told by Denny that he killed Lucy. That sets another ball rolling and there's a lot of emotional fallout for everyone in the Beales who's involved in that.

"You wouldn't feel it so much if it hadn't taken so long to get there. That's what happens in a family. I always knew that Live Week and the reveal was just the beginning of a big story, but I didn't quite know how big it was going to be."

EastEnders airs an hour-long special on Christmas Day at 8.45pm on BBC One.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-12-2015), lizann (18-12-2015), parkerman (18-12-2015), Rear window (18-12-2015)

I don't think it's so much that the story has dragged on for a long time as I can accept that in the real world these things could go on as long as this. I think the problem is the nonsensical storyline that a) so many people know Max is innocent yet let him go to jail and b) more specifically that Lauren just gave up trying to get him out and that Liam and Cindy didn't even try after all they'd said. Those are the real problems with the Bobby story.
    Last edited by parkerman; 18-12-2015 at 12:38.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-12-2015), maidmarian (18-12-2015), tammyy2j (19-12-2015)

i did think bobby really did know he was responsible

Most of the complaints I've seen (here and elsewhere) are to do with how far-fetched and immoral the Bobby cover-up was rather than the length of the story. Similarly with the rape storyline, it was the sympathetic way Dean was portrayed for a few months that infuriated lots of fans (including me!).

Most viewers with an ounce of intelligence and patience (that includes all of us here at Soapboards obviously!) can appreciate a slow-burning storyline if written well.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

chartreuse (18-12-2015), maidmarian (18-12-2015), parkerman (18-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    Most of the complaints I've seen (here and elsewhere) are to do with how far-fetched and immoral the Bobby cover-up was rather than the length of the story. Similarly with the rape storyline, it was the sympathetic way Dean was portrayed for a few months that infuriated lots of fans (including me!).

Most viewers with an ounce of intelligence and patience (that includes all of us here at Soapboards obviously!) can appreciate a slow-burning storyline if written well.
    Ive found -in real life- that when there is an
    attempt at covering up a bad thing. Several
    may band together in a " vow of silence"
    and it may last for quite a while.

But eventually one(or more) persons conscience
    gets the better of them and they have to do
    something about bring the truth to light -
    even if anonymously .

Thats was what was unbelievable to me-
    not that so many told lies but that not
    one told the truth.
    That to me us the saving grace of the human
    race. Eventually one person will stand up
    for the truth- no matter how browbeaten
    and/or bullied!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-12-2015), parkerman (18-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
    Thats was what was unbelievable to me-
    not that so many told lies but that not
    one told the truth.
    That's a subtle distinction, but very true! I could possibly understand Lauren, who's always been written as a decent person, getting sucked into the cover-up by Jane's emotional pleas (read manipulations), but to not come to her senses when her father is sentenced to twenty years beggars belief...

Quote Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
    That to me us the saving grace of the human
    race. Eventually one person will stand up
    for the truth- no matter how browbeaten
    and/or bullied!
    Again very true, and a moving sentiment to take us into Christmas.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (18-12-2015), parkerman (18-12-2015), Rear window (18-12-2015), tammyy2j (19-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    I don't think it's so much that the story has dragged on for a long time as I can accept that in the real world these things could go on as long as this. I think the problem is the nonsensical storyline that a) so many people know Max is innocent yet let him go to jail and b) more specifically that Lauren just gave up trying to get him out and that Liam and Cindy didn't even try after all they'd said. Those are the real problems with the Bobby story.
    Lauren and Liam's actions both whom are related to Max astonishes me, both characters ruined by this farcical writing, why didn't they tell Carol and Abi the truth

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-12-2015), lizann (19-12-2015), maidmarian (19-12-2015), parkerman (19-12-2015), Rear window (19-12-2015)

EastEnders has aired another devastating storyline twist for the Beale family, revealing that Jane may never walk again.

Jane's distraught husband Ian heard the upsetting news in the closing moments of Thursday night's episode (May 26), which saw Jane's brother Christian and mum Linda Clarke both return to Walford.

It was an episode full of bad news for Ian, as Bobby remained determined to come clean to the police over how he was responsible for killing Lucy two years ago.

Finally taking his claims seriously, the police bailed Bobby pending a formal charge for Lucy's murder.

Already shaken by the day's events, Ian later returned to the hospital and was soon joined by Christian and Linda, who'd already spoken to the doctors about Jane's condition.

Determined not to hold back, Linda ranted: "How could you let this happen? I knew. I warned her about you. Get out. They don't know whether Jane will ever walk again.

"And you did that. This is all your fault, you useless snivelling excuse for a man. And that evil child. Your woeful parenting. How many times are you going to hurt my daughter? I swear, if you don't get out and stay away, I will swing for you, Ian Beale! You leave and you don't come back!"

Facing the full force of Linda's fury, Ian had no choice but to leave the hospital room. Will he ever be able to forgive himself if the doctors' worst fears for Jane are realised?

Digital Spy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (27-05-2016)

Jane waking up to seeing Bobby and Steven will shock her back into a coma
    Last edited by tammyy2j; 29-05-2016 at 22:23.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (29-05-2016), lizann (30-05-2016), parkerman (30-05-2016)

EastEnders exit confirmed as Laurie Brett bows out as Jane Beale
    Monday night featured her final scene in the role.

EastEnders star Laurie Brett has left the show again after three years back on screen as Jane Beale, Digital Spy can confirm.

The actress made her final appearance as Jane in Monday's episode of the soap, after one last attempt to expose Max Branning's true colours.

Jane has been forced out of Walford by Max as part of his ongoing revenge storyline, more than two years after Max was wrongly sent down for Lucy's murder thanks to Jane's cover-up.

Speaking to Digital Spy about her departure, Laurie explained: "I've loved every minute of playing Jane Beale. To return to EastEnders with such a huge storyline was an absolute gift.

"However, what I have known from the start is that with the soap gods watching us at all times, there is only so long before things go full circle.

"It's been hard keeping the secret, but the storyline has been great to play out and I have loved every minute of it."

Monday's EastEnders episode saw Ian make a huge mistake as he confided in Max about the strange voicemail message that Jane left him after she departed the Square last week.

Putting the frighteners on Jane from afar, Max then left a message on her phone warning that Ian would get hurt if she didn't leave him out of the situation.

Trying a different tactic in her final scene, Jane left a tearful message on Stacey Fowler's phone exposing all of Max's shocking secrets.

The only problem was that Stacey's phone is now in the possession of Bernadette Taylor, stuffed away in a bedroom drawer after her younger brother Riley impulsively stole it for her.

With the voicemail waiting on the phone, it seems that we have a ticking soap timebomb on our hands. The message is sure to be played back at some point, but when? Will Stacey get her phone back and hear the truth about Max?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kaz21 For This Useful Post:

Rear window (23-10-2017), Ruffed_lemur (23-10-2017), tammyy2j (24-10-2017)

Thread Information