Thread: Harold and Madge Bishop

Exclamation Harold and Madge Bishop

Neighbours legends Ian Smith and Anne Charleston are returning to the soap for its 30th anniversary celebrations.

The much-loved former cast members have been back on set in recent days, reprising their roles as popular couple Harold and Madge Bishop.

Ian Smith and Anne Charleston back at Neighbours
    © Fremantle Media
    Ian Smith and Anne Charleston back at Neighbours

As Madge passed away following a battle against pancreatic cancer 13 years ago, show bosses are keeping tight-lipped about how, why and in what form the Bishops will reappear on Ramsay Street.

Speaking of her shock comeback, Charleston explained: "It was an immediate yes when I was invited to return for the 30th anniversary. I wouldn't have missed it and I'm thrilled with the way their story unfolds."

Smith added: "I spent half my working life on Neighbours and so it's lovely to be back with Anne and all the cast and crew."

Charleston played the role of Madge between 1986 and 1992, before returning for a second stint between 1996 and 2001.

Smith also has a long history with Neighbours, playing Harold on and off between 1987 and 2009. He last returned for a guest stint in 2011.

Neighbours will air its 30th anniversary episodes in March next year, and show producers have promised that more returning cast members have yet to be announced.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (16-11-2014), Louisa Marshall (16-11-2014), Mirjam (16-11-2014), pulminaria (16-11-2014), TaintedLove (16-11-2014)

Madge is returning in a dream sequence.

She could also be shown in memory flash backs

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entert...b6daf9db277663

Doesn't look like he will ever come back ��

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ps21aj For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-10-2016), tuckec01 (18-10-2016)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entert...b6daf9db277663

Doesn't look like he will ever come back 👎

DS article:

Neighbours reveals first look at legendary character back on set
    Welcome back!

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...rn-first-look/

Neighbours may be in the midst of sadness with the news of its axe this year, but the soap took the opportunity to celebrate its momentous 37 years on air this week with a series of congratulatory messages from its cast.

Yesterday (March 18), Neighbours shared a video to social media featuring a host of cast wishing the soap "Happy Birthday", including Takaya Honda, Richie Morris and Charlotte Chimes, but it also included the reintroduction of one of it's iconic actors ? Ian Smith.

Smith has played the legendary Harold Bishop on and off for almost the entire length of the show's reign, first appearing in 1987, with his last regular episode in 2009, before a few subsequent brief returns in 2011 and 2015.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1504729325282635777

Neighbours seems excited by the familiar face reappearing on Ramsay Street, captioning the post: "Today is our birthday ? it's been 37 years since we first appeared on screen! We can't think of a better day to have a Neighbours LEGEND return to Erinsborough!"

This is the first time Smith has been seen on set since it was announced last month by Dr Karl Kennedy actor Alan Fletcher that he would be returning in the final episodes to help send off the show.

Fletcher also teased that producers are hoping numerous classic characters will feature in the finale of the soap, with fans keen to see Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan return to the place that catapulted their careers.

I can assure you that the producers are working very, very hard to try and entice some of the most loved characters from Neighbours to at least make some appearances," Fletcher said.

"I can't give away any spoilers on [Kylie and Jason's return] yet but that's going to be the joy of those last episodes. Just sitting there and going 'oh look who's here!'"

We do, however, know that Peter O'Brien will be reprising the role of Shane Ramsay, who was last seen all the way back in 1987, to celebrate the final farewell of the soap, whilst we also know that some cast will be departing before the show finally ends ? Kyle Canning (Chris Milligan), Roxy Willis (Zima Anderson) and Ned Willis (Ben Hall).

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 6pm on Channel 5 and streams on My5. In Australia, the show airs Mondays to Thursdays at 6.30pm on 10 Peach and streams on 10 Play.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (19-03-2022), Perdita (20-03-2022), Ruffed_lemur (20-03-2022)

DS article:

Neighbours confirms Harold Bishop's return storylines
    He's been away from the Aussie soap for seven years.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...bishop-return/

With the end of Neighbours in sight and the sheer number of returning cast members from years gone by showing up, the Aussie soap has now revealed what beloved character Harold Bishop will be getting up to on his return.

Home from their break, Karl and Susan Kennedy are confronted by how closed off Mackenzie (Georgie Stone) is following Hendrix Greyson's tragic death, and encourage her to clear the air with her dad Grant following recent differences between them, but she has no desire to.

Little do they know, the surprise arrival of a beloved friend ? Harold Bishop (Ian Smith) ? could make all the difference.

Later in the week, Amy Greenwood is struggling with her love life and avoids Toadie and Melanie as they celebrate their engagement.

Zara's heart breaks for her mother, believing that Toadie and Amy have unacknowledged feelings for each other, but as she laments the unfairness of the situation to Harold, she starts to suspect he's not so excited about the development either.

Harold refuses to help Zara break Toadie and Melanie up, but promises to look into her concerns. He asks Amy for her opinion on Melanie's dependability, and Amy decides to put her own feelings aside and speaks highly of Mel, but Zara's listening in and won't drop the matter just yet.

Meanwhile, Mackenzie is still struggling with her grief and inability to eat. Identifying with her distress, Harold opens up to her about his own journey through grief. As Harold counsels her, Mackenzie feels stronger for the first time in a long time.

A double episode will close out the soap forever on Monday, August 1, following Channel 5's decision to discontinue its broadcast over in the UK.

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 6pm on Channel 5 and streams on My5. In Australia, the show airs Mondays to Thursdays at 6.30pm on 10 Peach and streams on 10 Play.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (27-06-2022), Ruffed_lemur (28-06-2022)

Metro.co.uk article:

Neighbours spoilers: Huge return for Joe Mangel as he?s back to help fix Harold?s mess

https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/04/neigh...o=newsnow-feed

In another jaw-dropping return ahead of the finale, Joe Mangle (Mark Little) is back on the Neighbours scene, and he has a job to do ? undo Harold?s (Ian Smith) monumental ****-up as best he can.

Harold has been influenced by Zara?s (Freya Van Dyke) misgivings over Toadie (Ryan Moloney) and Mel?s (Lucinda Cowden) relationship.

While she has an ulterior motive in wanting to see her mum happy with Toadie, Harold?s primary concern is Toadie?s happiness.

He is not convinced that Mel is the woman for him, particularly because of what he knows about her past marriage.

He?s so in his own head about it all that he can?t face the wedding planning sessions, and Melanie notices his reluctance to participate.

She confronts him and put on the spot, and all Harold can do is confess his true opinions on her and Toadie?s union.

Mel is taken aback and deeply hurt as this comes out of the blue. The engagement party begins, and Harold?s words are swimming around Mel?s head. She pushes through and tries to enjoy the day, but Toadie?s mum Angie turns up and makes things a whole lot worse.

Harold decides he needs to speak to Mel?s ex-husband Joe Mangel (Mark Little) about his misgivings.

He?s shocked to learn that Joe regrets how he handled the divorce and that the original version of events he gave Harold were not quite true.

Harold realises he?s been wrong about Mel this whole time and now has some serious reparation work to do. Will Mel and Toadie be able to forgive him after the damage he?s caused?

Meanwhile, Mel is now getting battered from another angle as Angie wades in. Close to breaking point, Mel snaps. Are Mel and Toadie doomed?

And:

Neighbours to air Joe Mangel return scenes after Melanie's engagement
    Harold has made a bit of an error...

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...ie-engagement/
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 04-07-2022 at 23:09.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (04-07-2022), Ruffed_lemur (05-07-2022)

DS article:

Neighbours resolves Harold Bishop mystery in latest episode
    "That might be your problem."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...tery-resolved/

Neighbours spoilers follow from Thursday's episode (October 5), which is streaming now on Amazon Freevee.

Neighbours favourite Harold Bishop has been offered reassuring news following recent concerns about his memory troubles.

Harold's return storyline has centred around fears that he could be suffering from the early signs of dementia, but Erinsborough's newest doctor Remi Varga-Murphy was on hand to offer an alternate explanation in Thursday's episode.

In the latest visit to Ramsay Street, Harold's anxious wait for his test results finally came to an end as Karl Kennedy received an important phone call.

Karl announced that Harold had performed well in cognitive tests, which appeared to rule out the possibility of dementia or Alzheimer's.

While the Kennedys took some reassurance from this news, Harold felt frustrated that he was no closer to a proper explanation.

The following day, Harold was spending time at the caf? when he dropped some of his medication.

Remi picked up the tablets and questioned Harold, who confirmed that he'd changed his blood pressure medication two months earlier.

"These statins can have serious side effects when you mix medications," Remi warned.

"If you've been having memory issues, that might be your problem."

Karl was embarrassed to have missed this as a possible explanation, noting that Harold hadn't told him about the change in medication.

Harold and his loved ones were cautiously optimistic as it was agreed that he'd stop taking the pills and be monitored to see if the side-effects start to ease.

Later, Harold reflected on how the scare had caused him to re-evaluate his life.

He said: "It's made me think of Sky and Lana ? I do not want to be a burden on them. At my age, I've got to start thinking of things while I can still make my own decisions."

As Harold looks to the future, what will he have planned?

Neighbours releases new episodes from Mondays to Thursdays for free on Amazon Freevee in the UK and US. In Australia, the show airs from Mondays to Thursdays at 4.30pm on Channel 10, with a 6.30pm repeat screening on 10 Peach.

Thread Information