Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linda Hancock (Jacqueline Leonard)

When I saw who it was I remembered her voice/accent in EE way back. it was unusual

2. The Following User Says Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Perdita (19-11-2014)

Coronation Street delves into the Armstrong family's history next week as Owen's ex-wife Linda makes an unexpected appearance in Weatherfield.

Linda turns up after travelling from her home in Portugal, but her desire to get to know her daughters Izzy and Katy after years of estrangement could spark big trouble for Owen.

Here, Jacqueline Leonard - who plays Linda - reveals details of her character's debut and the consequences for her on-screen family.

Jacqueline Leonard
    © Rex Features / Can Nguyen
    Jacqueline Leonard

Owen has created a very negative image of Linda to his daughters. Is she as bad as he has made out?
    "I can't give too much away, but Owen has told the two girls a very one-sided story about why Linda left them when they were young. He's withheld a lot of information from them whilst they've been growing up.

"The girls just always thought their mum wanted nothing to do with them, but that hasn't been the case at all. I think because he's told some white lies to the girls, they are expecting Linda to be the Wicked Witch of the West - but she isn't at all!"

Why does Linda arrive at this point?
    "Linda has always tried to get in touch and reconnect with them but it hasn't been possible, which Owen has had a lot to do with. I think she's now at a point in her life where she's got the confidence to do it. She wants changes in her life and she knows that a lot of that has to start with finding her daughters.

"Linda is desperate for her daughters to be part of her life. It is a huge shock to Owen to see her after all this time. The girls have one very specific view of their mother and Linda can tell straight away what they've been told about her."

Has Linda always known where they've been?
    "She's always known roughly, yes. It's not hard to track someone down if you really want to find them!"

Izzy and Katy's mother arrives
    © ITV
    Izzy and Katy's mother arrives

How do the girls react to Linda's arrival?
    "It's understandably emotional - this is their mother that they haven't seen for years and years and indeed, Katy can't even remember her mother being in her life at all. They want answers from Linda, and Linda is ready to give her side of the story. But when they find out what really happened all those years ago, they warm to her quite quickly - especially Katy.

"Katy is younger and she's more open to the idea of letting her mum into her life. She has never known her mother, so she really wants to get to know Linda. I think Katy sees Linda as being quite glam, as she lives over in Portugal and her life sounds really lovely. Izzy is slightly more wary. She holds back slightly. Izzy feels hurt all over again now she's found out her dad has been lying to her all this time."

What happened between Linda and Owen?
    "Linda and Owen had Izzy and then Katy. Izzy was diagnosed and was very poorly. Linda still had to work when she had two babies, one of whom was very unwell, and she was still only very young herself at the time. It was a lot for her to deal with and I think she did struggle to cope with it.

"Linda ended up making a big mistake by having a very brief affair - I think it was escapism. She knew at the time it was a mistake and she wanted the family to move on from it, but Owen couldn't forgive her for it. He told her that he didn't want her anywhere near the family ever again. He couldn't cope with it at all. Owen was absolutely distraught.

"From the outside, they were a very happy family, but Linda's mistake just ate away at Owen and he couldn't handle it. It hurt him very badly and he's held that with him all these years."

When Linda and Owen see each other after all these years, is there still a chemistry between them?
    "I think initially there will be shock. I don't think Owen will look at her with love and affection at first, but after a while there may be a spark again between them. Who knows?"

Owen is furious to see Linda
    © ITV
    Owen is furious to see Linda

Will Linda's arrival cause problems for Owen and Anna?
    "Her arrival certainly causes no end of problems for Owen because of what he's told the girls all these years, and Linda turns up and tells them her side of the story. Katy and Izzy will obviously realise how much Owen embellished the truth and I think that will cause him a lot of trouble.

"For Anna, the ex-wife being on the scene isn't a very nice experience, especially because Anna discovers that Owen and Linda didn't split up because they were no longer in love, but because Linda had an affair which left Owen devastated and heartbroken. It's going to bring a lot of feelings and emotions to the surface."

Can you tell us a bit more about Linda herself?
    "Linda is hard working. She's been working and living abroad in Portugal and has set up a business of her own over there in the property market. She's a lovely lady, but she made a mistake in the past and it's affected her ever since. But she's done very well for herself. She's a very strong woman as well."

Is a part of her coming back for Owen as well as the girls?
    "I don't think she necessarily comes back for him. I think her focus at first is coming back for her daughters and to reconnect with them. But I think when she then sees Owen, she maybe realises that part of her wanted more than that.

"Linda arrives and finds Owen in an unhappy place. Him and Anna are always arguing and fighting, as they seem to have lots of stress and they are all on top of one another in a tiny flat. Linda thinks about it and thinks perhaps Owen could have a better life with her and the girls in Portugal."

Linda tackles Owen over his deception
    © ITV
    Linda tackles Owen over his deception

How is Linda received by Anna?
    "Linda's a threat, quite understandably. Initially, Anna has been told the same as Katy and Izzy by Owen, so she's initially very frosty with Linda. As a mother, I think Anna is very shocked at how a mother can abandon her children in the way Owen described Linda as doing. But once Linda tells her side of the story and the truth comes out, Anna is much more understanding.

"Anna can completely understand why Linda wants her girls back, but I think there is still a part of Anna that feels threatened by Linda. Linda's presence does make Anna feel very insecure because she knows how much Owen loved her. I think Anna is hurt that Owen has lied to her all this time. In a way, Anna at this stage has more to lose than Linda does."

Does Linda intend on staying in Weatherfield, or is it a flying visit?
    "I think she's playing it by ear but ultimately she knows she has to go back to Portugal because that's where her life, her home and her business is. She does at one point offer to cancel her flight home, so I think the longer she spends with the girls, the more open she would be to the idea. It depends how Katy and Izzy take to her, I guess."

How will she feel about being a grandmother?
    "I think she is amazed and pleased at how well her daughters have grown up, but a large part of her will be sad that she's missed out on so much - not just Katy and Izzy growing up but also her two grandchildren being born. I think Linda will want to get to know them all and want them in her life as much as possible."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (03-02-2015), swmc66 (03-02-2015), tammyy2j (05-02-2015)

Former EastEnders star Jacqueline Leonard has revealed that she would be interested in returning to the soap in the future.

The actress played the role of Lorraine Wicks on the BBC One show in 1996 and 1997.

Leonard returns to the soap world next week as she makes her first appearance as Owen Armstrong's ex-wife Linda in Coronation Street. The role will currently run for a short stint, creating new turmoil for the Armstrongs and Windasses over the next few weeks.

Speaking to TV Times, Leonard commented: "It would be lovely if I came back, though. If it didn't work out at Corrie, I'd love to do EastEnders again. It would be great to revisit the character of Lorraine in a different way, without all that angst.

"Mind you, it is EastEnders, so I probably wouldn't have a choice! I remember one time we did 26 scenes in one day and I think I cried in every one!"

As well as EastEnders, Leonard has previously appeared in a variety of other dramas including Holby City, Doctors, River City and Peak Practice.

In 2011, she also came close to landing the role of Coronation Street's Stella Price, which eventually went to Michelle Collins.

Reflecting on her near-miss, Leonard added: "I was gutted when I didn't get Stella because I've always wanted to be in Coronation Street. I'm from the north and it's every actor's dream.

"I was more nervous than usual when I auditioned for Linda, but excited as well. Her and Owen's daughters Katy and Izzy are both dark, so I thought I had more chance of being cast as their mum than if she had two blonde girls.

"When Michelle got the part of Stella, I could see exactly why - she looked more like Leanne and Eva. And she did a great job."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (04-02-2015), tammyy2j (05-02-2015)

can't remember if Stella had a London or northern accent now

Quote Originally Posted by swmc66 View Post
    can't remember if Stella had a London or northern accent now
    You must have blocked out Michelle Collins' overdone fake northern accent. I wish I could!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (05-02-2015), parkerman (05-02-2015), swmc66 (05-02-2015)

Luckily I have a very bad memory...works well for the script writers when they reinvent it all

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (06-02-2015), maidmarian (05-02-2015)

Did Owen tell them she left because of Izzy's condition but did Linda know Izzy was in a wheelchair?

I think in earlier spoilers it says that Linda is surprised that Izzy is in a wheelchair

Exclamation

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...-linda-return/

Coronation Street will be bringing a character back to the soap who hasn't been seen for six years, as Chesney and Joseph Brown's story continues.

Chesney (Sam Aston) was recently left panic-stricken when his son Joseph (William Flanagan) suddenly disappeared from home after becoming upset about being bullied over his family's financial struggles. Joseph has since been returned home safely but the family's troubles are far from over.

Chesney and Bernie Winter (Jane Hazlegrove) are both facing accusations that they had something to do with Joseph going missing, particularly as a large financial reward was available for Joseph's return.

In new paparazzi pictures of the soap filming on location at an airport, it looks like the plot could be taking a surprise turn as a character from the past returns.

The photos show Linda Hancock, the mother of Joseph's late mum Katy Armstrong, at the airport with a suitcase, having travelled over from Portugal to see her grandson.

Some of the pictures show Linda, played by Jacqueline Leonard, standing beside Joseph, who also has a suitcase, while other photos feature a tearful-looking Chesney talking to his son and hugging him.

With the Brown-Winter family struggling for money and with young quadruplets to look after too, could Chesney have made the heartbreaking decision to let Linda take troubled Joseph back to Portugal with her?

Linda first appeared in Corrie in February 2015, surprising her estranged daughters Katy (Georgia May Foote) and Izzy (Cherylee Houston). Despite some initial hostilities, Linda managed to rebuild her relationship with both her daughters after years of no contact.

Linda eventually decided to head back to Portugal and asked both her daughters to come with her ? an offer which Izzy turned down and Katy accepted, choosing to join her in Portugal with Joseph.

Joseph later returned to the Street in October 2017, having been picked up by Chesney after Katy's shock death in a car crash.

Linda's surprise return was first teased by Corrie boss Iain MacLeod earlier this month, when he revealed that Joseph going missing would spin off "into a story that will see the reintroduction of a character connected to that household, which will provide yet another threat to the stability of the residents of Number 5".

Could Chesney be about to lose his son again?

does owen or izzy have any contact with joseph

Thread Information