Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Les and Pam Coker

I'm dying to know Les' secret! Various theories doing the rounds online are:

• he's a cross-dresser and Claudette's the only one who knows
    • they're secret dance partners
    • he's Vincent's father
    • he's Donna's father
    • he's a long-term client of possible prostitute Claudette (he's got form for this because he implied he was an old client of Pat's when we first met him)
    • they're up to something illegal
    • they're having an affair.

I'm far from feeling certain, but I slightly favour the first theory at the moment because it fits with them holidaying together, with Les starting to undress at her house, and with him being terrified of Pam finding out. The prostitute and affair theories could also fit but I just don't think there's anything sexual between them (mainly because it's been hinted so heavily that there is).

Anyone got any other ideas?
    Last edited by Dazzle; 18-08-2015 at 03:54.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (18-08-2015), maidmarian (18-08-2015), parkerman (18-08-2015), tammyy2j (18-08-2015)

I agree with you, Dazzle. Cross-dressing seems the most likely explanation at the moment.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-08-2015)

Yes I also think he likes to dress as a lady

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-08-2015)

Spoilers for tonight state:

"Elsewhere, Pam confronts Les and demands to know what happened between him and Claudette. Les admits that he turned to Claudette after their son Lawrie died, which hurts Pam's feelings. After some words of advice from Carol, Pam returns to Les and asks him to reveal whether he has ever slept with Claudette. How will Les respond?"

which could mean anything really, but still fits with our favourite theory. I wonder if we'll learn something concrete tonight?
    Last edited by Dazzle; 18-08-2015 at 17:11.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (18-08-2015), maidmarian (18-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    Spoilers for tonight state:

"Elsewhere, Pam confronts Les and demands to know what happened between him and Claudette. Les admits that he turned to Claudette after their son Lawrie died, which hurts Pam's feelings. After some words of advice from Carol, Pam returns to Les and asks him to reveal whether he has ever slept with Claudette. How will Les respond?"

which could mean anything really, but still fits with our favourite theory. I wonder if we'll learn something concrete tonight?
    All very intriguing, he keeps saying "it's complicated" and he now is adamant he has not slept with Claudette, he loves Pam to bits, so very very intriguing, I fancied that they were Vincent's parents but that's not looking likely, as Les does not really bother with Vince, unless he does not know, ohhh come on EE,the suspense is driving me

Had you guessed or are you still picking your jaw up from the floor? Either way, EastEnders delivered another big storyline twist tonight (October 19) as Les Coker confided in his wife Pam about how he likes to wear women's clothes.

The Albert Square undertaker has been dressing up as his female alter ego 'Christine' for years, which finally explains all of those furtive meetings with his friend and confidante Claudette Hubbard.

Still have a few questions after the episode? Digital Spy recently caught up with Roger Sloman, who plays Les, to hear more in this instant reaction chat.

When did you first hear about this storyline?
    "Our producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins first discussed the storyline with me as far back as April. I thought we were just going to have a routine meeting when he called me in, but then he introduced this idea. Dominic asked me if I wanted some time to go away and think about it, but I said straight away that I wanted to do it because I like an acting challenge."

Where did things go from there?
    "I went off and did some research. There's a lot of stuff on YouTube and other places online. Because I'd been told so far in advance, it was quite some time before we actually did a make-up and wardrobe test, which was also interesting and useful.

"After that, I took the wig and the costume away and I worked at it for some time before we actually got the scripts. Les has been doing this for a very long time, so I wanted to be comfortable wearing the clothes so that I wouldn't be thinking about that when it came to doing the acting.

"I also started to think about what women wear and how women interact, because it's different to how men interact. I started to notice how women are when they are together, which is something that I hadn't thought about much before."

Can you explain why Les likes to wear female clothes?
    "I think every man has got some sort of feminine side. Some men would say they haven't, but to me it's like having a dial. For someone like Les, the dial reaches the point where they have got a feminine side that they like to express in some way. They're comfortable with the idea of wearing women's clothes and having a 'female mode'.

"We met a married couple and that's how the guy talked about it. He explained that his 'female mode' is someone who's got a name, a personality and he feels very different when he's in that mode.

"The essential thing to mention is that Les is perfectly happy with his gender. He's not transgender and he doesn't want to go through transition to become a woman. He's also quite happy with his marriage - it's just that he's got a female side that he likes to explore."

Why is Les comfortable expressing himself in front of Claudette but not Pam?
    "First of all because Les has kept this secret for a very long time throughout their marriage. It's a good marriage, but this secret has been at the centre of it. Pam has to come to terms with the fact that this is what Les does, but it's actually as much of a problem that he's done this for so long without telling her. Secondly, Les has been very nervous about how Pam would react."

How long has this been going on for?
    "I think that Les was aware of this when he was very young, but over the years it's taken different forms. Obviously it's quite difficult for Les to have a wardrobe at home that he can keep secret from Pam, but nevertheless, he has been doing this from time to time.

"When Les and Pam's son died, I think he felt more of a need to do it as a kind of escape and a stress-buster. That's when he started being able to do it more because Claudette was very understanding."

How will this impact on the Cokers' marriage?
    "Pam is shocked and it's a huge, huge challenge. It's not easy for her and it's not easy for Les either. They've got a huge amount to work through and I can say that it's not going to be plain sailing."

Does Les's grandson Paul find out too?
    "Yes, we have shot those scenes. It's fair to say that once Paul gets over the shock, he maybe finds it easier to come to terms with - but then again, he's not the one who's been in a marriage for over 30 years!"
    Les's secret has stayed under wraps for months. Did you tell anyone about the storyline yourself?
    "No, I didn't actually - partly because the issue itself is so much about secrecy. The chap who came to see us said an extraordinary thing. He explained that when he goes to work on a Monday, everyone's talking about what they did on a weekend, but he's got an area that he can't talk about.

"I actually found that in the whole run-up to doing the storyline, keeping a lid on it was quite helpful to my working practice."

Do you hope EastEnders can help viewers to understand this issue more?
    "Absolutely. I think that's really been quite a driving factor in us exploring this storyline. I spoke to Dominic about it and I know he feels the same way. It'd be fantastic if even one or two people start to feel a bit more tolerant to the idea.

"We're in a situation now where gay rights have come a long way in the last 30 years and that's great, but there are other areas where people have still got a prejudice. Nobody gets particularly hurt by men wearing women's clothes, so if people can be a bit more understanding, I think that's great."

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2...ers-big-secret

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-10-2015), maidmarian (24-10-2015)

EastEnders viewers got their first sight of Les Coker as his female alter-ego - but the meeting between Christine and Les's wife Pam didn't exactly go to plan.

Scenes just broadcast on the BBC1 soap saw the Cokers' grandson Paul witness Les in his female mode, with the showdown proving to be too much for Pam, who walked out on her marriage.

Speaking about what lies ahead for the Cokers in the wake of this latest drama, actor Roger Sloman - who plays Les - said this week to RadioTimes.com: "The way I see it is that there isn’t a relationship out there that doesn’t have its difficult areas, but this is going to be a huge challenge to theirs.

"If you marry somebody of a certain gender and then they announce that they like to dress up in the opposite gender, then that is a huge thing to try and accommodate."

As to whether the Cokers will reconcile following Pam's decision to flee the family home this evening, Sloman added: "It’s a bumpy road that they’re on. And it’s not going to be easy, I can say that much."

Lin Blakley, who plays Pam, added to RT: "I didn't see Roger as Christine before we shot that moment. As the audience sees it, that's when I saw it for the first time.

"Roger actually knew about the storyline ten days before I did. Our executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins told him not to tell me because he wanted to do it.

"But how are the Cokers going to get through this? A secret that Les has had for decades! How could anyone do it? But it does happen more than you might think. And, I have to say, the scripts and dialogue have been so beautiful for these episodes."

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-...r-as-christine

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (24-10-2015), Rear window (24-10-2015)

Let the Cokers

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post

EastEnders viewers got their first sight of Les Coker as his female alter-ego - but the meeting between Christine and Les's wife Pam didn't exactly go to plan.

Scenes just broadcast on the BBC1 soap saw the Cokers' grandson Paul witness Les in his female mode, with the showdown proving to be too much for Pam, who walked out on her marriage.

Speaking about what lies ahead for the Cokers in the wake of this latest drama, actor Roger Sloman - who plays Les - said this week to RadioTimes.com: \"The way I see it is that there isn’t a relationship out there that doesn’t have its difficult areas, but this is going to be a huge challenge to theirs.

\"If you marry somebody of a certain gender and then they announce that they like to dress up in the opposite gender, then that is a huge thing to try and accommodate.\"

As to whether the Cokers will reconcile following Pam's decision to flee the family home this evening, Sloman added: \"It’s a bumpy road that they’re on. And it’s not going to be easy, I can say that much.\"

Lin Blakley, who plays Pam, added to RT: \"I didn't see Roger as Christine before we shot that moment. As the audience sees it, that's when I saw it for the first time.

\"Roger actually knew about the storyline ten days before I did. Our executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins told him not to tell me because he wanted to do it.

\"But how are the Cokers going to get through this? A secret that Les has had for decades! How could anyone do it? But it does happen more than you might think. And, I have to say, the scripts and dialogue have been so beautiful for these episodes.\"

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-23/eastenders-viewers-get-their-first-sight-of-les-coker-as-christine
    I thought "Christine" was amazing, she looked very real and so different from Les, which I guess is the whole point.
    Must be such a traumatic situation for a Spouse to have to deal with.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kissinger For This Useful Post:

moonstorm (31-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Kissinger View Post
    I thought "Christine" was amazing, she looked very real and so different from Les, which I guess is the whole point.
    I have a friend who is a cross-dresser. The two personae look completely different. I know it can't be so, but he actually looks much taller when he is dressed in women's clothes! As a man he seems quite short; as a woman she is quite tall. Perhaps it's the high heels! He is nearly bald. She always wears a very full wig. The difference between them is actually quite staggering and, if you didn't know, you would never think he/she is the same person.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-10-2015), maidmarian (31-10-2015), moonstorm (31-10-2015), Perdita (31-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    I have a friend who is a cross-dresser. The two personae look completely different. I know it can't be so, but he actually looks much taller when he is dressed in women's clothes! As a man he seems quite short; as a woman she is quite tall. Perhaps it's the high heels! He is nearly bald. She always wears a very full wig. The difference between them is actually quite staggering and, if you didn't know, you would never think he/she is the same person.
    I was actually quite surprised that Paul recognised Christine as Les so quickly. I think it would have taken me a lot longer if I was in that situation.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (31-10-2015), moonstorm (31-10-2015), parkerman (31-10-2015)

Thread Information