Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alya Nazir (Sair Khan)

Exclamation Alya Nazir (Sair Khan)

Coronation Street bosses have confirmed the casting of Kal Nazir's daughter Alya.

Actress Sair Khan has landed the part of Alya and will make her first appearance on the ITV soap in June.

Coronation Street actress Sair Khan
    Sair Khan

21-year-old Alya arrives on the cobbles with an outspoken nature and bubbly personality. Show chiefs have teased that her wayward behaviour will make life difficult for her father in the summer.

Speaking of her new role, Khan told itv.com: "I'm absolutely thrilled to be joining the cast of Coronation Street. As a northerner I've grown up watching the show and so can't quite believe that I'll soon be walking on the famous cobbles."

Coronation Street's assistant producer Ella Kelly added: "We're delighted to introduce Sair as Alya, the new strong-minded member of the Nazir family, who puts temptation in the path of one male resident, causing a storm before her feet have even hit the cobbles."

The long-running show is also currently searching for actors to play Kal's son and mother. Viewers have already been introduced to Kal's father Sharif, played by Marc Anwar.

Coronation Street producer Stuart Blackburn first confirmed plans to introduce Kal's family in January.

Speaking at the time, he said: "We've established that Kal, his son and his daughter live with Kal's mum and dad. We're going to see his mum, dad and his children - we're probably going to bring them onto the street and they'll be the first Muslim family that Corrie has ever had."

Khan, 26, has previously appeared as a guest in BBC One's Doctors and has also been part of various theatre productions.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

swmc66 (01-04-2014), tammyy2j (20-06-2014)

Coronation Street newcomer Alya Nazir immediately causes trouble next week when she has a one-night stand with Gary Windass.

Fresh out of university, Alya has come to Weatherfield to stay with her dad Kal and has no idea about Gary's background when she meets him in a nightclub.

Alya's arrival is part of the on-going process to build up the Nazirs as the show's first Muslim family following the casting of Jimi Mistry as Kal last year.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Sair Khan, who plays Alya, about the shock fling with Gary and what's to come.

Now that you've been filming for a couple of months, how are you finding life at Coronation Street so far?
    "I am loving it. I have been here about two months now and my first episode hasn't even aired yet. I feel like I am settling in and just getting used to it but I've got a big shock around the corner when the actual episode airs next week. I am really excited to see it and to watch those first few scenes. Everyone has been so lovely. They have all welcomed me in and been there whenever I have needed to chat. I've got to work with a few different people now so it's been really nice to move around because it is a big cast. I think I have just about met everyone now which is good."

How would you describe your character Alya?
    "She has just finished university so she is quite independent. She is used to being away from home and she really knows her own mind. She is quite feisty as well I think, she knows what she wants and she's not afraid to speak her mind. That's the kind of girl she is."

How does it feel to be part of the show's first Muslim family?
    "It's such an honour. I can't believe that I have got to be a part of it and the fact that it is the first Muslim family as well. I have grown up in a Muslim family in Leeds, so being in a Northern-based show with a family with this background is great. I'm so proud."

Alya comes to Weatherfield after finishing university to stay with her dad Kal. Has she just come to see him? Or is there another reason?
    "Yes, well she has come to stay with her dad. Obviously the whole gym thing has been going on for a little while and because she has been busy, it is finally about time she rocked up just to see what everything is like. She comes to visit her dad and that coincides with her having just finished university, so she needs a summer job. Lucky for me, she gets a job straight away which means I can be on the cobbles a bit more!"

Gary is desperate to give Izzy a wide birth and persuades Jason to go for a few drinks with him.
    © ITV
    Gary and Jason go out for drinks

One of her first storylines is the one-night stand with Gary. What attracts them to each other at first?
    "I think it's just one of those things. She saw him across the crowded bar and something was there, some kind of spark. I think she just liked the look of him."

Could she develop feelings for him? Or was it just a one-off?
    "I think she likes him. There was an instant attraction. Obviously at this point she doesn't know that he is in a relationship with a baby. So at first, I think she really likes him and doesn't necessarily see it as a one-night thing. She thinks: 'Oh yeah, this is a nice, cute guy that I get along with. Let's see what can happen'."

How does she feel when she discovers that Gary has a girlfriend and a baby?
    "She's so shocked. She's initially told that he has a girlfriend which she can't believe but when she finds out that he has a baby, that's the point where it turns. I think maybe she could have let him off with the girlfriend thing, even though it is still awful, but I think the fact that he has a baby and those kinds of responsibilities really changes her opinion about him completely."

Will she be tempted to tell Izzy the truth?
    "Yes definitely. You will see that she gives him countless opportunities from the moment she finds out for him to apologise properly, make amends and do the right thing and he just fails at every turn. That riles her up and by the end of it, she thinks: 'You know what? I don't owe you anything. Izzy deserves to know'."

Alya corners Gary in the Rovers back yard
    © ITV
    Alya corners Gary in the Rovers back yard

Leanne and Kal decide to give their romance another go next week after Tina's funeral. Will her and Alya get along? Or could there be tension?
    "They will get along. Alya is not a nasty girl and obviously her mum has died a couple of years ago and that was hard for her. It is difficult for her to get her head around seeing her dad with someone new but I think what she cares about most is that her dad is happy and that Leanne is the right person for him. She sees the way they interact and she knows it's genuine. Even though it is hard for her initially, she is quite accepting of the relationship. There are other people in the family that you might have to worry about but not Alya."

How will Leanne react when she discovers that Leanne used to be a prostitute?
    "She is not going to judge her – she isn't judgmental like that. She understands that she has had a past. Obviously she is shocked but she doesn't hold it against her or anything."

Do you know much about what is coming up for Alya in the long-term?
    "I don't really know. I guess just getting used to being on the street and interacting with the other characters outside of my family or outside of the Gary Windass relationship. It is just imbedding her in the street. I am not sure what that will bring but some funny moments hopefully with some of the established characters. She meets quite a few different people like Noris and Todd – that was an interesting little run-in that they had together – and other people here and there. But I am hoping she will get a best friend. I would really like one so I hope they establish a friendship with one of the girls on the street. That will be really cool."

Coronation Street bosses have cast two Nazir members - Yasmeen and Qasim. Do you know much about the family's stories?
    "Well obviously I have come in and shortly after that Alya's grandma Yasmeen arrives . After that, they are introducing Alya's brother, Zeedan. I think the plan is to slowly drip-feed them all in. I can't wait until we are all together and doing our first scene – I am really looking forward to that. When Zeedan comes in and Qasim (Akhtar) joins the show, I won't be the newbie anymore so that will be quite nice as well!"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

swmc66 (19-06-2014), tammyy2j (20-06-2014)

She looks around Kal's age

They are not a traditional muslim family from what i have seen. It was amazing that the father accepted leanne when he heard. It was nice that he did accept her when he saw his sons feelings.

What i want to know is, why does the father have to hang around the gym? bit pervy I think, not as if he is in gym clothes, so why is he always there? NO gyms I've ever been to, have a middle aged father of the owner always standing round!!!

Quote Originally Posted by owenlee4me View Post
    What i want to know is, why does the father have to hang around the gym? bit pervy I think, not as if he is in gym clothes, so why is he always there? NO gyms I've ever been to, have a middle aged father of the owner always standing round!!!
    I think he's a bit of a control freak and wants to oversee the business, even though he's only supposed to be a sleeping partner. This frustrated Kal at first, but he seems fine with it now for some reason.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 29-06-2014 at 17:30.

Coronation Street star Sair Khan has explained why her character Alya Nazir gets cold feet over a potential relationship with Gary Windass.

Pictures released at the weekend showed Alya and Gary sharing a kiss after weeks of chemistry between the pair, but in the aftermath Alya tells him that they can't be together.

Sair Khan as Alya Nazir in Coronation Street
    © ITV
    Sair Khan as Alya Nazir

Sparks fly between the two characters when Gary helps the Nazir family as they try to turn the disused butcher shop into a community centre, but Alya can't help feeling that a romance with the builder would cause trouble.

Khan explained: "The lead-up to the kiss is amazing - they are both really excited with anticipation. Then the kiss is great, but then she snaps back to reality and realises they are kissing in public and she's so close to home, so she leaves him quite quickly.

"After that, she feels quite awkward and there are a few things that make her question how right the kiss was. The next day she's walking down the street and she sees Gary with Izzy and Jake, and it makes her question how right they would be together.

"Alya wonders what he can offer her and how it might be tricky, as he's a father and yet she's only just come out of university."

Alya and Gary continue to flirt.
    © ITV
    Alya and Gary continue to flirt.

She continued: "There are so many awkward factors that come with it. Gary's supposed to be Alya's dad's best friend for one. He's not just some random man, he's a man that her dad knows very, very well.

"The fact that he's got a child and has just come out of a relationship would probably trouble some members of her family and it's probably not what they'd want for her, having come fresh from uni.

"Alya's family probably see her being with someone more well suited to her, someone with a similar background. There are so many things going against them."

When Alya tells a disappointed Gary that they are better off staying apart, viewers will be left to wonder whether he can convince her otherwise.

Asked whether they would make a good couple, Khan replied: "Ooh, I don't know. I'd like to think that they would! There's a lot going against them, but there's so much chemistry between them so maybe that would be enough."
    Last edited by Perdita; 30-09-2014 at 21:30.

Kal's family are not a traditional Asian muslim family so I cannot understand how this is an issue or will be an issue with them

Thread Information