Thread: Natasha Williams leaves

Exclamation Natasha Williams leaves

Neighbours star Valentina Novakovic has confirmed that she is leaving the soap.

The actress films her final scenes as Natasha Williams in December after more than two years playing the role.

Tash's exit scenes will air on Australian screens in April and a month later in the UK.

Reflecting on her character's journey, Novakovic commented: "I actually love the whole transition from 'bratty' to almost 'nice', but never quiet. Tash is still herself no matter how much she has grown.

"It's so much fun to play such a free-spirited character. I like that she's matured and thinks a little clearer now that she is older, but I don't think Tash could ever become boring, no matter how much she matures!"

Novakovic is hoping to explore acting opportunities in the US after making her departure.

She added: "Australia is small compared to what else is out there, especially in Los Angeles. I love acting and it's what I want to do, so why not be in the thick of it all?

"I certainly would love to do more Aussie things, but being realistic, there is nowhere near as much opportunity here."

Novakovic's on-screen father Sandy Winton (Michael) bowed out from Neighbours earlier this year.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (01-11-2012), tammyy2j (01-11-2012)

Hurrah! Never liked Tash.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayuqtuq For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (01-11-2012), tammyy2j (01-11-2012)

Exclusive: 'Neighbours' Valentina Novakovic talks show exit - first interview

Neighbours star Valentina Novakovic today (November 1) announced her decision to bow out as Natasha Williams after well over two years playing the role.

Tash's exit scenes will air on Australian screens in April 2013 and a month later in the UK, although exact details of her departure are currently being kept under wraps.

Prior to today's official announcement, Digital Spy caught up with Valentina for her exclusive first interview about leaving Neighbours and her future plans.

What are the main reasons behind your decision to leave Neighbours?
    "I think it's mainly that I just want to try other things and see what else is out there in the acting world. I'd like to try a different genre, perhaps films, and also explore different characters."

How long ago did you make the decision? Was it difficult to reach that choice after quite a while playing the role?
    "I always wanted to do two years, and then when the time came round, I decided that that I needed one extra year to be really prepared to leave and see what's out there. I love working on Neighbours and I've learnt and taken so much from the place, but I'm also very eager to see what else the acting world has in store."

Did the departures of some of your co-stars like Jordy Lucas and Gemma Pranita also influence your decision to go now?
    "No, I wouldn't say it did at all. I always had it in my mind to leave at some point, and so I just knew when I was ready I was going to do it."

Jordy and Gemma have both expressed interest in opportunities overseas. Are you thinking along the same lines for your future career?
    "Simple answer - yes. Why not? Australia is so small compared to what else is out there, especially in the good old town they call Hollywood. I love acting and it's what I want to do, so why not be in the thick of it all? I mean, I would love to do more Aussie things, but there's nowhere near as much opportunity here."

Obviously it's early days yet, but can you give us any early hints on how Natasha might be leaving the street?
    "Look, I hardly even know how she's leaving so I can't fish out too much! It'll definitely be a drive off in a car, is what I can say. Haha!"

Would you prefer a big, dramatic exit or something quieter to give the character a happy ending?
    "I wouldn't mind leaving with a bang. But leaving on good terms is good too. Who knows, it leaves an opportunity for Tash to maybe come back one day…"

Tash started out as more of a bratty character but became a lot more likeable as time went on. Which did you prefer playing?
    "Bratty, haha! No, I actually love the whole transition from 'bratty' to almost 'nice', but never quiet. Tash is still herself no matter how much she has grown. It's so fun to play a fun character.

"I like that she's matured and thinks a little clearer now that she is older, but I don't think Tash could ever become boring, no matter how mature she gets."

Is there anything you didn't get to do with the character of Tash that you would have really loved to explore?
    "No. Clear answer. I have been able to explore EVERY aspect of her and that's what I loved about these three years on Neighbours. I was blessed with a character that went to every emotion, sometimes in one episode - from sad, happy, angry, bitchy, manipulative, nice. I mean, she's got it all. And it was a joy to play."

Which storylines were your favourites to play?
    "That's a really tricky question. I'm going to have to say the LARPing. That was a long, hot day on location, with a million layers of clothes on, and real LARPer extras, but it was so much fun. It was so different from what I ever thought Tash would do, but there you have it, another surprise!"

Which of Tash's love interests do you think was best suited to her?
    "Look, no-one ever seemed right for Tash. Ivan was too old, and quite a jerk. Ed was wonderful, but they did break up because they were so different. We can't forget her little fling with Kyle - that was a lot of fun, but she just used him to get Andrew jealous.

"Andrew was her first guy on the show, and they were both so young and immature that it didn't work, but I think the mature Andrew and Tash would work well. They have known each other and been through a lot together and grown up so much, but I also think they have a great balance of fun banter. It's hard to decide, but probably Andrew."

What will you miss most and least about working on Neighbours?
    "Least will have to be early starts. I'm so grumpy in the mornings and I love my sleep. Most, the most typical, but most truthful answer - the people. From all the other cast, to the make-up crew, to everyone working in the offices. You really do form a family.

"The building where the studios are feels like my second home, the drive to work I could probably do with my eyes closed. It's all I've known for the past three years. I will miss the place, a lot."

With a few characters leaving, do you think Neighbours will bring in new faces and new teens to fill those gaps?
    "The show must go on. When people leave, new faces appear, new relationships and bonds are formed. It's the reason Neighbours is so successful and has been going on for 27 years now (wow!)"

How would you like Tash to be remembered by the fans?
    "As a versatile, fun character. She's so many things that it's hard to narrow it down. I hope fans have liked watching and growing with Tash for the last three years, because I know I have. So I hope she will be remembered. Doesn't matter in what way, if she's remembered, at least I know she's made an impact."

Are you expecting to be emotional on your last day, and do you have any plans for a big leaving party?
    "Most likely, yes! It's been a long time to be in one place so naturally, it's going to be hard. But I'm also leaving with a good attitude as I am excited to move on and see what's out there. As they say, 'Don't be sad because it's over. Be happy because it happened'."

When do you film your final scenes?
    "On the final day of this year's shooting week. Start of December - ah so soon! I can't believe it's been three years. But it's been a wonderful three years."

Dont know why she stayed when her dad and aunt left

At first I didn't like her but since she was going out with Ed she seemed a bit more likeable.
    There is a few other characters I would rather see leaving instead of Tash.
    Last edited by N.Fan; 02-11-2012 at 16:04.

Aw, I wonder how they'll write her out? What with her, Jade and Summer leaving they're going to have to get some more young women in the show!
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

Shall miss her a lot. She's such a great character!

Thread Information