Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Vanessa Woodfield

any reason given for her no show return for frankie's christening?

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emm...urn-interview/

Emmerdale welcomes back Vanessa Woodfield next week as part of the show's Christmas storylines.

Vanessa has been absent from our screens for well over a year, but is now returning to the show on a permanent basis as Michelle Hardwick ? who plays her ? is back from maternity leave.

Viewers will see Vanessa thrown straight back into the action, as she supports her sister Tracy (Amy Walsh) through an upsetting break-up and also faces tensions of her own with her ex-fianc?e Charity (Emma Atkins).

Digital Spy recently caught up with Michelle to hear more about what's ahead.

How does it feel to be back on the show?

"Oh my goodness! After 19 months, it just feels like forever. Every time I saw people they were asking: 'When are you back on Emmerdale, when are you back on Emmerdale?'

"When I first walked on set, it was literally like I'd had two weeks off. It was exactly the same ? apart from the Covid restrictions. I can't hug my on-screen sister in a scene and that's more challenging than you think, actually.

"I was really excited to be back. I was very nervous, I must admit. You think: 'Can you still do it? Can you still learn your lines with a little one-year-old?' But so far, so good."

Did you watch the show while you were away?

"I did a little bit. Not religiously ? I've been busy and that's bath and bed time! But I absolutely loved Super Soap Week. It was fantastic ? I was hooked like everyone else. I thought Paige [Sandhu, who plays Meena], Fiona [Wade, who plays Priya] and Rebecca [Sarker, who plays Manpreet] were unreal ? I loved it."

What brings Vanessa back to the village?

"Initially she comes back around Christmas time ? just after Christmas. She brings the Christmas presents for Tracy and Frankie. She's thinking it's just going to be a flying visit.

"Vanessa is not daft, so she is aware that Charity is with Mackenzie. Obviously her sister has kept her in the loop. A lot of time has passed and a lot of water is under the bridge.

"What Vanessa didn't expect is that the first people she sees are Charity and Mackenzie. And not only seeing them, but seeing them declaring their undying love for each other, right in front of her.

"For me, Vanessa isn't jealous because it's been a long time. It doesn't upset her. Tracy says: 'You knew they were together, it's not a shock'. But Vanessa points out that, when she sees them in person, it's a reminder of what Charity put her through when she was going through cancer and the treatment.

"It's like: 'Wow, okay'. The first thing she sees is those two rubbing her nose in it."

We see Vanessa get involved in Tracy's split from Nate, don't we?

"Yes, she has got an involvement. It's not Vanessa's fault, but she is involved in a way. What happens does then make Vanessa stick around for her sister, as she wants to be there for her.

"Let's be honest, Tracy has been through all this with Post Natal Depression and Vanessa was still at her mum's. She still feels really guilty about that, so she wants to be there 100% for Tracy and do everything she can. She's going above and beyond to make up for the time she wasn't there."

After Nate is dumped by Tracy, there's a scene where he turns up wanting to see baby Frankie, but Vanessa turns him away. Does Vanessa think she's doing the right thing?

"Yeah, she does. I love that side of Vanessa ? the little meddling side to her where she thinks she's doing the right thing. She sends Nate packing on more than one occasion. She's stopping him from not only seeing Tracy but also Frankie.

"Vanessa thinks she's protecting her sister, whereas we know that's not going to turn out well, is it? She gets a bit of a telling off from Tracy. She's not a happy bunny at all.

"Vanessa says: 'I'm only trying to protect you, I'm only trying to look out for you. I wasn't there before but I am now. I was only trying to help'. And she was."

Vanessa also learns that Charity wants to spend time with Johnny?

"Yeah, Vanessa's not into that at all. That's because Charity has not seen Johnny for such a long time and she's trying to protect him. I know there was the adoption before Vanessa left to go and see her mum, but I don't think Vanessa thinks it's healthy for Charity to be spending so much time with Johnny.

"Obviously they're going to be seeing each other because they live in the same village, but Vanessa's not a fan. Whether that changes or not in the future, I don't know, but certainly for now she doesn't want that to happen."

Are we seeing a feistier Vanessa now?

"Without a shadow of a doubt. I always think back to when Vanessa first arrived and she was this feisty party girl. I think we lost a bit of that when she was with Charity and I'd like to see a bit of the old Vanessa back.

"I'd like her to speak her mind a bit more and not have to answer to anyone. I do think what she has been through has certainly toughened her up. So come on Vanessa!"

Have you missed Vanessa?

"Yeah ? she's been with me for nine years now so you do miss your character. But as soon as you get back and get the yellow coat back and the hair in a pony, it was quite easy to hear her voice again."

In real life, how's it going being a mum to your son Teddy?

"I'm absolutely loving it. Though Teddy must have known I had a 5.50am start this morning because he sleeps really well, apart from last night! I was in make-up at 7am with bleary eyes and had two big scenes with Amy."

How was it to see everyone at work?

"Oh, it was so good. Don't get me wrong, obviously I've seen my close friends from work when I was pregnant and then after Teddy was born ? I've seen them quite a lot. But just seeing people and seeing the crew has been absolutely fantastic.

"I've been working with Amy Walsh who I adore, and Dominic Brunt [who plays Paddy] who's one of my best mates, it's just gorgeous. To get into the swing of things again and have a laugh with them ? it's great."

With Amy now about to become a mum, have you shared any tips?

"All we do on set is talk about babies ? I'm sure everyone is really sick of us. But as soon as I'm back she'll be going on maternity. I'm not even joking when I say we talk non-stop about it. It's just really, really exciting. There was me and Laura Norton and now Amy ? it's brilliant."

id prefer her stayed gone

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Perdita (01-01-2022)

Will leave again for maternity leave soon as pregnant with second child...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

johntrevor (22-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Will leave again for maternity leave soon as pregnant with second child...
    off to canada for a job

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    off to canada for a job
    No doubt will be back in a year... never took to her character, doubt I ever will..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (16-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    No doubt will be back in a year... never took to her character, doubt I ever will..
    me same

i don't mind suzy

Has had a daughter called Betty

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

johntrevor (21-11-2022), lizann (21-11-2022)

looks like she is back, thank you not rhona

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emm...dfield-return/

Emmerdale star Michelle Hardwick reprised her role as Vanessa Woodfield in Friday's episode (February 9).

A surprise cliffhanger saw Vanessa turn up at a remote cottage to visit her best friend Rhona Goskirk, who has fled from the village with baby Ivy.

Vanessa left the village for a new job in Canada in November 2022, with the temporary exit storyline written in to explain Michelle's real-life maternity leave. Michelle is now back filming as a show regular.

Here, Michelle chats about Vanessa's reappearance and the big drama to come involving Rhona.

How does it feel to be filming Emmerdale again?

"It is absolutely fabulous. I suppose I'm just going into work for a bit of a rest now! (Laughs.) I can maybe finish a cup of tea or nip to the toilet on my own without hearing: 'Mummy, mummy!'

"I'm loving it ? I actually feel like I've never been away, even though it's been 14 months. I was worried about not being able to learn lines, but they have gone back in, thank goodness."

Can you remind us where Vanessa has been?

"Vanessa has been to Canada and she took her son Johnny with her. She was looking after all of these different animals and it was a sabbatical for just over a year. She was away in Canada having an absolute ball and now she's back."

What brought Vanessa back?

"Out of the blue, Vanessa received a phone call from Rhona, who said that she needed help and really needed her. Vanessa didn't ask any questions because she felt that there wasn't any time. She packed a quick bag for her, a quick bag for Johnny, jumped on a flight and came to see Rhona."

What does Vanessa think about Rhona running off with Ivy?

"Vanessa turned up at the cottage where Rhona is staying and saw Ivy there. Vanessa already knew about Ivy because obviously she's spoken to Rhona while she's been away, but she had no idea that Rhona had actually run off with the baby and essentially kidnapped the child.

"It's a massive shock to Vanessa. First of all she's thinking: 'What the heck are you doing?' There's blind panic running through her. She's also thinking: 'I'm here now, I'm an accomplice to this! Am I going to get done as well? What's going to happen to Johnny?'

"There's all of that racing through Vanessa's head, but she also wants to help her friend. She tries to reason with Rhona and says that they have to go back. She says that Rhona won't be in any trouble, but Rhona doesn't want to hear any of that. Vanessa is desperately trying to do the right thing."

Does part of Vanessa understand where Rhona is coming from?

"Absolutely ? without a shadow of a doubt and it breaks Vanessa's heart as well. Vanessa is a mother and she can totally understand it, but she's also saying: 'You've got April at home, you've got Leo, they need you as much as Ivy does. So you've got to think of the bigger picture'.

"But Vanessa absolutely understands that this would just be tearing Rhona apart and the fear of losing this little baby is tenfold."

The situation escalates next week. Will Rhona blame Vanessa when the police turn up?

"Yes, she absolutely will. Vanessa does choose to tell people where Rhona is and it's an awful, heartbreaking decision.

"There's barely any signal in this very remote cottage that Rhona has found, but Vanessa finally manages to get in touch with the village. It's Mary that she manages to get in touch with. Mary then tells Marlon, and Marlon turns up at the cottage.

"Marlon also tells Gus, but he doesn't realise that Gus has told the police. They all turn up en masse and it's awful because Vanessa knows she's betrayed her friend, but deep down she knows she's done the right thing.

"Rhona can't go on the run with this baby for the rest of her life, because that's no life for her or that child. The longer it would have gone on, the worse it would have been. But ultimately Rhona will blame all of this on Vanessa ? as always!"

Will this incident cause Vanessa to come back into the village properly?

"Yes, Vanessa is going to go back into the village with Johnny. Then she's got all the trouble with Tracy to deal with, because Tracy and Nate are having really bad relationship issues.

"Vanessa thinks: 'I've been away now for over a year, I am coming home soon anyway'. I think she just cuts it shorter than she would have done as she thinks Rhona needs her, Tracy needs her, so that's where she now needs to be.

"Vanessa goes back to Canada to tie up everything there, gets all of her stuff and they come back for good."

What does Vanessa make of Tracy's marriage breakdown?

"Vanessa doesn't know about Tracy's fling with Caleb first of all ? she's just aware that Tracy and Nate have split up. Tracy is saying that she doesn't love Nate anymore and the marriage just wasn't right. Vanessa is like: 'It's only been seven months!'

"Vanessa tells Tracy that she'll stand by her and they'll get through it. She suggests that, if Tracy and Nate stay friends, maybe they'll get the spark back.

"Deep down, Vanessa thinks they'll get back on track, until it all comes out about the affair. Vanessa is so against affairs after what's happened to her in the past, but ultimately this is her sister. She does stick by her sister ? of course she does, because she loves the bones of her."

What else is in store for Vanessa?

"When Vanessa left, we left it on a very positive note between her and Suzy. Even though they weren't together, they had a little kiss and it was all very lovely.

"But Vanessa is completely unaware of a potential relationship between Mary and Suzy. Mary, who Vanessa sees as a mother figure! But Vanessa is totally oblivious to this. She's going to maybe try and get her relationship back on track with Suzy, but whether Suzy wants to or not, we'll have to wait and see."

"I managed to dip in and out. Obviously it's 'bath and bed time' for the kids when the show is on, but I have.

"I cried my eyes out at Tony Audenshaw's performance as Bob after Heath died. I just thought Tony, Susan Cookson (Wendy), Lesley Dunlop (Brenda), Gabrielle Dowling (Cathy) and all the other kids played a blinder. It was absolutely wonderful.

"I really enjoyed it ? I know it sounds weird to say 'enjoyed', but they were really powerful episodes that really pulled at your heartstrings. I saw Tony the other day and told him that he'd had me crying my eyes out!"

What was it like being reunited with your co-stars?

"Oh, lovely! Don't get me wrong, I've seen all of my close friends ? they've come to visit and have seen the kids. I've kept in touch with a few of them. But just seeing people out and about, and in the corridor and green room, it was so lovely. It was the crew as well and the make-up room ? it was such a nice welcome back.

"People said 'You've been so missed' and that's really nice. I felt very welcomed and I'm really enjoying being back, juggling motherhood with work like loads of people do. I'm loving it and really pleased to be back."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

johntrevor (10-02-2024)

Thread Information