Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterloo Road Series 8 (***with spoiler*******)

Waterloo Road waves goodbye to Janeece Bryant this week as she quits the school for a fresh start.

Thursday's (September 27) episode sees Janeece's issues with childcare come to a head when her young daughter Cheryl has to be rushed into A&E, having suffered an accident after being left home alone.

Janeece's mistake leads to an awkward interview with social services, but the incident ultimately proves to be a catalyst for change as she realises that it's time to move on and put Cheryl first.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Chelsee Healey, who played Janeece, to hear more about her final episode and future career plans.

How do you feel now that your time at Waterloo Road has come to an end?
    "It's sad! I've grown up with Waterloo Road and it's been part of my life for six years, so leaving was really upsetting. But I just felt that it was something I needed to do, and it was at the right time. I'll always have fond memories of my time at the show."

How difficult was it to make the decision to move on?
    "It was definitely a tough decision. I'd been thinking about it for a while - should I or shouldn't I? It was a big decision that needed to be made, so I definitely didn't make it quickly. I thought about it a lot beforehand."

Did the show's move to Scotland play a part in your decision?
    "No, it didn't really, because I think the whole new dynamic of moving to Scotland has been fun. I think it's been a good change for the show, so it was nothing to do with the move - it was just something that I felt I had to do for myself."

Are you happy with Janeece's final storyline?
    "Yeah, I am. It's something that I could get my teeth into. In some ways it is a sad goodbye, but it's nothing too drastic - so it was a nice storyline and I'm glad that I could play it."

Your final episode has lots of Janeece and Chalky scenes. How do you define their relationship?
    "At the moment it's plain to see that she's using him, but I don't think she's doing it maliciously, because she's not that sort of character. She's taking advantage of his good nature when it comes to childcare and looking after Cheryl, but not in a nasty way.

"I think it's a lovely relationship between the two of them - they're so cute together and I think it's such a nice friendship.

"I really enjoyed working with Mark Benton, who plays Chalky. He's one of the best men ever and we honestly got on so well. Mark would constantly make me laugh on set. He's brilliant to work with and he's a good friend."

How does Janeece feel about social services questioning her parenting?
    "It makes her start to question herself as a mother and whereabouts she wants to be in life. That's what makes her decide that she needs to get away - she needs to think things through and have a bit of time out."

Was your last day of filming an emotional one?
    "Yeah, of course it was emotional. Like I say, I was there for six years and I was gutted that I wouldn't be playing Janeece any more. It was emotional, but I got through it because I'm a fighter!"

Who will you miss the most, and is there anyone in particular who you'll stay in touch with?
    "I stay in touch with Mark Benton, Darcy Isa, Jason Done, Will Rush, Jack McMullen - to be honest, everyone! I stay in touch with everyone."

Which of Janeece's storylines stand out as your favourites? Did you prefer playing her as a pupil or a secretary?
    "There's been so many, but the one where I was jilted at the altar really stands out. I suppose when Janeece was a pupil I could have more fun with her, because she was funny and naughty, which I liked."

What was the secret behind Janeece's longevity in the show?
    "I honestly haven't got a clue. I think people took to her because she's so funny, loving and cheeky. People just seemed really drawn in by her character - I don't know how, but maybe just because she was a sweet, sweet girl."

Which of the newer cast members are you particularly impressed by?
    "Paige Meade who plays Jade is brilliant. They're all amazing, though, so it's difficult to pick people out!"

Janeece isn't being killed off, so would you consider returning for a guest appearance?
    "Yeah - well, you never know, do you? Never say never, you just don't know what could happen in the future."

What are your future plans?
    "Well, I'd love to do dramas and films - just something I can really get my teeth into. I'd like to do something that's deep - I want to go into more serious acting so hopefully that's what will happen. You never know, but that's what I want to do."
    Last edited by alan45; 24-09-2012 at 04:40.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

I will miss Janeece it's sad to see another origional character leaving.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Caspiant For This Useful Post:

N.Fan (03-10-2012)

Thursday, 18th October

Rhiannon's shocking secret is uncovered by Scout; Christine refuses to retract her bullying claims against Audrey; and Kevin jeopardizes his place at Waterloo Road to help Connor.
    Waking from a nightmare, Rhiannon heads to the bathroom where she takes out a small tin. But before she can open it, she's disturbed by rival Scout. Later, at school, Rhiannon finds a quiet spot and takes out the tin again, revealing her self-harming kit.

Rhiannon's disruptive behaviour in school is noted by Audrey, who excludes her from class. Believing she's compensating for her weight issues by acting the class clown, Audrey urges Rhiannon to join the lunchtime power-walking club.

However, when Rhiannon lags behind the others, Audrey asks Scout to look after her enemy. The girls bicker but soon start to joke around together. But the moment is short-lived after Scout notices blood on Rhiannon's t-shirt. Making Scout promise not to tell anyone, Rhiannon confesses she cuts herself because it makes her feel better.

As Christine and Audrey's bullying case reaches a climax, they agree to mediation. But when Audrey admits some of her actions could be misconstrued, Christine seizes the opportunity to push the case further.

Elsewhere, new boy Kevin takes drastic action to gain credibility with Connor, threatening his future at Waterloo Road; Lorraine presents Michael with a prospective new PA - Sonya. But, unbeknownst to Michael, Sonya already has ties with the school.

Also this week, Sian is horrified to discover Billy has asked Michael to help end his life. But she's further concerned after realising Michael is seriously considering his father's plea.

Waterloo Road couple Maggie Croft and Grantly Budgen take centre stage in next week's episode as their wedding comes under threat.

When a distracted Maggie calls off the ceremony at the last minute, Grantly (Philip Martin Brown) is left stunned by her sudden change of heart. However, following some detective work from Scout, it soon becomes clear that Maggie's decision has been influenced by a face from her past.

As Grantly vows to find out what is going on, he discovers that Maggie is being blackmailed by her ex-partner Trevor, who she never divorced…

Digital Spy recently chatted to Melanie Hill, who plays Maggie, to hear more about the storyline and life at Waterloo Road.

Have you settled in well at Waterloo Road's new Scottish home?
    "Yes, really well! It took a while at first, because the show was so well-established in Rochdale and it was a great place to work. I live in London, so the move was quite a long way and a lot to commit to, but it's been nine months now and I think within a few weeks we all found our feet.

"They've done such an amazing job with the move, and the people here in Scotland have just been so welcoming, so I feel like I've slotted in."

The schoolhouse has provided Maggie with a new responsibility on screen in this series. Have you enjoyed those chaotic scenes with the kids?
    "I have - a lot! It's nice to get out of the school for a while, and I think it shows a different side to all of the characters when we see what they're like before school and after school.

"Also, with Maggie not being a teacher, she's not confined to the behaviour that a teacher would have. That means she can overstep boundaries and push things a bit further with the kids - she can let them get away with a bit more than the teachers would do! Maggie has been able to form some nice relationships with the kids in the show, so I've enjoyed that side of it as well."

Why do you think Maggie and Grantly are such a good match?
    "I think the two of them met at a time in their lives when they were quite lonely people. Grantly was having a trauma with his wife at the time and that was awful, but Maggie got close to him and she was there for him.

"When you get to our age, it's more of a companionship rather than instant love and passion. What's happened is that they've formed a massive friendship, and then a deep love has come from that. Also, I think they've both got a massive sense of humour. Maggie softens Grantly a lot, so they're good foils for each other."

What can you tell us about the wedding episode?
    "I was really looking forward to filming this episode and seeing how it would all pan out. But as soon as the episode starts, Maggie calls the wedding off and there's a massive problem. It becomes clear that she's done this because someone is blackmailing her, so then it's a case of whether the wedding will go ahead and who's responsible.

"It's nice that it doesn't all just run smoothly - obviously in typical Waterloo Road fashion there's some disaster along the way! But I think Grantly and Maggie are good for each other. In episodes to come I'm sure they'll have their ups and downs, but they do definitely have a future together."

© BBC

As the episode goes on, we see that Maggie's estranged husband Trevor is the one who's blackmailing her. Does the episode delve into Maggie's past?
    "You find out the story between those two, but we don't actually have any scenes together! Funnily enough, Bill Fellows is playing my husband and I've played his wife before in a film called United. Again in that film, I never had a scene with him - so this will be my second screen project where we're husband and wife without interacting with each other! Hopefully there'll be a third time lucky one day!

"It's just the way everything worked out with the storyline - it's down to Grantly to sort everything out. He needs to deal with Trevor and save the day. That's good for his character, because it's another side that Philip is able to show to Grantly. He's trying to rescue Maggie, which is lovely and sweet."

What's the overall feel of the episode?
    "Well, the fact that we're older and obviously the Waterloo Road fanbase is quite young did worry me, so I didn't want it to be too schmaltzy or embarrassing. But I was assured that the story would have humour and the audience would go with it.

"Grantly is one of the fans' favourite characters and there's a lot of affection for him, so I hope we've approached it in the right way. I've had some good feedback so hopefully we have."

Did you help to choose Maggie's wedding dress?
    "It was chosen for me - to be honest, I was a bit worried because I'm not a spring chicken anymore and I don't wear dresses as a rule. But they did a great job, and the one that we used was the first dress that I tried on. It ended up being fun and I really enjoyed the filming days for this. It was nice to be in an actual party atmosphere - everything was fun and not too serious."

What can you tell us about what you've been filming recently?
    "We're just starting the final ten episodes of series eight, which won't be on screen until next year. I can say that Grantly and Maggie have got a lot of lovely stuff coming up. There's lots of adventures, some ups and downs, but it's so far, so good with them together and long may it last!"

© BBC

How does Waterloo Road compare to your previous work?
    "I've done a lot of ensemble pieces, so that's similar, but I've not really done many projects where half the cast are very young. There's lots of kids in Waterloo Road, and that's been great - it's different for me working with the youngsters.

"Also, the fact that I'm in a long-running project means that I have time to form stronger relationships. I'm used to doing a lot of one-off dramas as well, where you've got to meet people, spend five weeks and then move on. So you get spoiled in a way - I'm enjoying staying in one place."

Do you find yourself taking the younger cast members under your wing?
    "I do, to be honest. I think I'm quite typecast because Maggie's quite a mother hen, and I do feel responsible for them. Not so much the boys, but the girls - I've got close to them all. They're away from home and it's important they know that the older cast members are there for them if they need anything. We are quite a tight team now, so it is nice."

Is there anyone from the current younger cast who you'd tip to go far?
    "There's a lot of them, but I think Shane O'Meara who plays Connor is very good - him and Kirstie Steele (Imogen) are ones to watch. They're all good, but to me they've stood out."

Have you suddenly found yourself with a younger fanbase thanks to Waterloo Road?
    "I have - people often remember me from Bread, but the youngsters are too young for all of that and they've never seen it. So now I'm getting young people coming up, which is nice and refreshing. When a young kid of 12 comes up and says, 'Can I have your autograph?' it's quite a surprise! And of course they adore Philip, so every time I'm sat with him he gets mobbed."

Do you have fond memories of your own school years?
    "I do. I grew up in Sunderland, and I was a bit of a swot at school. I was quite boring, so I've got no juicy stories or anything! I remember doing a lot of sports and having a good time. I started doing drama at sixth form and that's how it all started. I owe my school a lot, especially the drama teacher."

Are you sticking around in Waterloo Road for the long haul?
    "Yeah, well I hope so! You never know, because it depends on where they want to take your character and what their plans are - there's so many different factors. But as far as I'm concerned, I definitely am because of all the reasons I've said. I'm really enjoying my time here."

Janeece's exit from WR wasn't all that dramatic,but I'll still miss her.

Ep 10/10

Thursday 25 October
    8.00-9.00pm
    BBC ONE

Connor snaps when Christine attempts to sabotage his future with Imogen; Kevin reaches out to Chalky while Lorraine puts a student’s welfare before the good of the school; and Michael takes his father’s life into his hands as Waterloo Road draws to a close.
    It’s the last day of term but not everyone is in good spirits. Back on the booze, Christine blames work pressures and doesn’t even try to hide her alcoholism from Connor. But unbeknownst to Christine, Connor is secretly plotting with Imogen to run away together.

However, Connor and Imogen’s plans to move into the empty schoolhouse during the holidays are threatened after Christine overhears Scout and Pheonix talking.

Frustrated by Waterloo Road’s poor academic improvements, Lorraine announces some harsh business decisions for the school. To her, the solution is simple - get rid of poor performers like Phoenix.

Michael is horrified and instead urges Lorraine to reconsider. And when he discovers Tariq has been accepted for the national Para-canoe team, it’s proof to Lorraine that Waterloo Road can reverse the fortunes of problematic pupils.

Sussing out Kevin is deliberately downplaying his academic abilities, Chalky confronts him. But it’s not long before the unlikely pair realise they’ve got more than just a head for maths in common, leading Kevin to suggest that Chalky fosters him.

Later, at Tariq’s leaving party, the celebrations are cut short when danger comes calling. Frustrated by his mother’s interference in his life, Connor takes drastic action, with explosive consequences for the school and girlfriend Imogen.

Michael’s own family dramas come to a head when he agrees to help his father, Billy, end his life. But not everyone sympathises with his decision which ultimately puts his future at Waterloo Road in jeopardy.

Waterloo Road adds Tommy Lawrence Knight to its regular cast in this week's episode as he takes on the role of a newcomer at the school.

The Sarah Jane Adventures star has been cast as pupil Kevin Skelton, who initially seems to be a troublemaker thanks to some mischievous behaviour in lessons. However, Chalky soon suspects that the new boy could be more intelligent than he's letting on…

Digital Spy recently caught up with Tommy to hear what fans can expect from Kevin's arrival and the character's future.

© BBC

How well have you settled into Waterloo Road?
    "Settling in was quite easy, actually, as everyone was very welcoming. It sounds like a cliché, but it is a nice little family here - all of us are really good mates and everyone gets on well. I was welcomed very nicely!"

Were you nervous at first, though?
    "I was definitely nervous on my first day, which was a few months ago now as it was mid-May when I started. I hadn't been on a set for quite a while so I had to get back into the swing of things, but after day one I knew that I was going to enjoy this. It was good fun from then on."

How did the part come about?
    "Well, I actually auditioned for the part of Drew, who was in episode one of the current series. That was the script that I read in my audition, but after that I was offered the part of Kevin, which I guess is a bit of an upgrade because he's a regular.

"So in my audition scenes I was doing a lot of shouting and screaming asking, 'Where's my girlfriend?', and then I got offered this part of a nerdy kid, which is just as good - even better, I think!"

How would you describe the character of Kevin?
    "Kevin is a foster child, who's been through many families and been to many different schools. He's constantly moving about all over the place, and it seems that he's been let down a bit in his past, so his expectations when it comes to things are incredibly low. He doesn't really expect much out of life.

"At the same time, Kevin is incredibly intelligent, but he's almost shy or ashamed of it, as if he's been bullied in the past. So he hides that away to start off with - it's not something that he's proud of, so he doesn't answer any of the questions in lessons. He also winds up the teachers and stuff like that. But later on, you find out he's a bit of an intelligent chap."

Does he show his true self to any of the other characters as the episodes progress?
    "Yeah, he does eventually come out of his shell. He forms a nice little relationship with Chalky, because they've both got this mutual fondness for maths and science. That's when he shows how brilliant he is academically."

© BBC

© BBC

Some of your first scenes are with a troubled student named Morag, aren't they?
    "They are, and these are some of the scenes that I really enjoyed doing, because it kind of shows the nice, gentle side to Kevin. You see in some scenes that he's winding up the teachers, but then he's walking along the corridor and poor little Morag's standing there verging on tears after a really difficult day.

"But Kevin advises Morag not to let other people get to her and cheers her up. At that point, the viewers will see that although he has a certain attitude in lessons, it's not the person he really is because you see him having this real gentle side to a girl who needs his help."

How have you found working with Mark Benton, who plays Chalky?
    "Oh, the guy is phenomenal. Some of the scenes that we did literally blew me away. He's the funniest guy I've ever met and it's never a dull scene if he's in it. I'm just a bit gutted he's not here anymore."

Do we find out much about Kevin's background and why he's in foster care?
    "It's something that we haven't really touched upon yet. I think most of that is up to my interpretation, I guess. It's slightly spoken about, but we've never really gone into much detail. Maybe we will in the future."

Is it true that Kevin becomes good friends with Connor?
    "Yeah, those two form quite a nice little friendship together. To start off with, Kevin is showing off in front of Connor quite a bit, because he wants to prove himself. But in the end there's a great, genuine friendship that those two have together. They become best mates, which is nice."

Will Kevin become involved in Connor's dramas with his alcoholic mum Christine?
    "Not early on in the series - he's more of a social mate at school. But later on down the line, he does become quite involved in Connor's personal life. He becomes like a pillar for him and he helps Connor out as quite a strong sidekick."

© BBC

© BBC

Does Kevin become a popular figure at the school?
    "Yeah, he doesn't really have any enemies as far as I'm aware. Obviously there are a few bullies in the school who lay into everybody, but he doesn't seem to have any bad blood with anybody. He's a likeable character and hopefully people will see that."

Which cast members have you made friends with in real life?
    "Literally every single one of these people is incredible. We all live on the same road in Greenock, so we're constantly going round to each other's houses and playing Xbox and things like that.

"Shane O'Meara, who plays Connor, was one of the first people to properly take me under his wing. He showed me about the place and really welcomed me. I appreciated that - he's a nice guy, so we've become good friends."

Are you looking forward to being known for a completely different role now?
    "Well, the attention side of acting isn't really my favourite thing, I'll be honest! I was out in Glasgow high street a few weeks ago and I was with Kaya Moore who plays Phoenix, and with the amount of attention he was getting, it must have taken us a couple of hours to get down the high street!

"I was standing there thinking, 'Oh my word', and I was a little bit worried about it. It's a bit intimidating as being on Waterloo Road will probably mean the most attention I've ever had. I think I'll be alright, I suppose I'll just have to see how I feel about it when it happens."

Do you get recognised much already?
    "It's toned down a lot recently. When Sarah Jane was first out, I was recognised an awful lot. I used to pick up my little brother from his primary school every day and I remember when the show first aired, it got really hectic around the primary school. I was trying to find my little brother among all these kids going, 'Sign my contacts book!' and 'Sign my face!'"

How does Waterloo Road compare to the work you've done in the past?
    "There's a lot more cast members, which means the amount of time I work is slightly less. I'll have maybe a day off every week which is quite nice - it makes it a lot easier because I'm not in as heavily as I have been before.

"I also think the set is incredible - how the whole production, the behind-the-scenes stuff and the school is all in the one building. On my first day, I was just roaming about the place, going in every door and getting to know my way around!"

Will you watch your first episode when it goes out?
    "No, I won't! I don't really like watching myself - I can't enjoy the programme when I'm in it. I've watched all of the episodes leading up to this next one, but I think now I'm going to call it quits!"

Last edited by alan45; 10-10-2012 at 08:07.

Picture of him

Waterloo Road star Jaye Jacobs has admitted that she is looking forward to some time off after deciding to leave the show.

The actress recently filmed her final scenes as science teacher Sian Diamond, but will remain on screen until 2013 as the BBC One drama films so far in advance.

Speaking on Daybreak this morning (October 10), Jacobs admitted that it was sad to say goodbye to her colleagues after more than a year at the programme.

© Rex Features / Ken McKay

Pictured: Jaye Jacobs on Daybreak.

Jacobs commented: "Top of next year is when [my departure] airs, but I left two weeks ago. It is sad - I've been there for quite a long time now so you get quite close to everyone."

She continued: "I haven't actually seen my husband much since we got married in May, so it's really great to be back and finally go on honeymoon!

"I'm going to be a wife and practice my cooking skills for a little bit, and see what happens. He's been really taking care of me, because I have been working non-stop."

The 30-year-old confirmed that she will take away fond memories of filming in Greenock, Scotland, where Waterloo Road is now based after leaving Rochdale.

She said: "It was great, actually. Greenock is quite a special place, it's very beautiful to look at. Not a lot of shops, though - that was the good thing about Manchester! [But] I had some good nights out in Glasgow. We'd all go out en masse to Glasgow."

Waterloo Road airs on Thursdays at 8pm on BBC One.

Thread Information