Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recipes

Recipes

The old thread seems to have disappeared

I'm after an authentic Indian curry base sauce for vegetarian and chicken. There are loads on the internet but I want one that is tasty, medium spicy, lots of flavour and easy to make.
    Thanks CrazyLea

I hope somebody can help me with this. I want to make bread and butter pudding with brioche and whiskey. I was wondering if I should add the whiskey to the custard, soak the raisins or bread in it or just pour over before it goes in the oven? Tesco do a gorgeous brioche and butter pudding with amaretto soaked raisins but I was wondering if there's a different way to add whiskey as I'm too lazy to wait for raisins to soak.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Been a while since anyone posted in this thread but I have just had the best beef stew and dumplings ever ... I got myself a slow cooker a year ago and used this for the stew. Fried off the beef chunks in a pan then transferred to slow cooker, added chopped up carrots, turnip, celery, little raddishes the Spanish add to stew, green beans and a can of chopped tomatoes. Made dumplings with flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and milk .. Stew cooked on low for 8 hours, dumplings the last half hour .. delicious!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (03-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Been a while since anyone posted in this thread but I have just had the best beef stew and dumplings ever ... I got myself a slow cooker a year ago and used this for the stew. Fried off the beef chunks in a pan then transferred to slow cooker, added chopped up carrots, turnip, celery, little raddishes the Spanish add to stew, green beans and a can of chopped tomatoes. Made dumplings with flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and milk .. Stew cooked on low for 8 hours, dumplings the last half hour .. delicious!!!
    That sounds delicious Perdita, even though I'm a vegetarian. I wouldn't mind making a veggie version. I love love love dumplings!

Slow cookers are brilliant little gadgets. I baked a whole load of potatoes in mine a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    That sounds delicious Perdita, even though I'm a vegetarian. I wouldn't mind making a veggie version. I love love love dumplings!

Slow cookers are brilliant little gadgets. I baked a whole load of potatoes in mine a few days ago.
    I left most of the meat and had mainly the vegetables and will have just vegetables with the leftovers .. I am not a total vegetarian but will eat vegetarian dishes more than meat dishes. My dogs sure loved a little meat and lots of the veg too for their dinner but the dumplings are all mine .... never made them like this before but will do in future!! yummmmy Would never have thought of making baked spuds in sc
    Last edited by Perdita; 03-02-2016 at 18:23.

I left most of the meat and had mainly the vegetables and will have just vegetables with the leftovers .. I am not a total vegetarian but will eat vegetarian dishes more than meat dishes. My dogs sure loved a little meat and lots of the veg too for their dinner but the dumplings are all mine .... never made them like this before but will do in future!! yummmmy Would never have thought of making baked spuds in sc
    I bet your dogs loved you even more than usual after that meal!

Slow cookers can be used as mini ovens and I've seen recipes for just about anything cooked in them: cakes, bread, pizza, etc. I've tried apple crumble but it didn't work out too well because the crumble topping was soggy not crisp...

I think it'd work well for anything that doesn't need to be crisped up though.

Yes, I have seen roast pork recipes that get finished off in a traditional oven for the crackling and also for cakes etc you need to put a tea towel under the lid to catch the moisture .... not done anything like that yet

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (03-02-2016)

Yes, I have seen roast pork recipes that get finished off in a traditional oven for the crackling and also for cakes etc you need to put a tea towel under the lid to catch the moisture .... not done anything like that yet
    That's a good tip about the tea towel under the lid. Maybe my crumble would have turned out OK if I'd done that.

Rice pudding is very nice done in a slow cooker.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 03-02-2016 at 18:37.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (03-02-2016)

I google a lot of recipes and for slow cooker ones I always have a look at slow cooker central, Australian lady set it up and it is a very very popular site, you can buy recipe books from amazon too, seen lots of hints and tips for various recipes. Example for apple pie crumble http://www.slowcookercentral.com/rec...apple-crumble/

I google a lot of recipes and for slow cooker ones I always have a look at slow cooker central, Australian lady set it up and it is a very very popular site, you can buy recipe books from amazon too, seen lots of hints and tips for various recipes. Example for apple pie crumble http://www.slowcookercentral.com/rec...apple-crumble/
    Oooh thanks. I'll have a browse on that site to pick up some ideas.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (03-02-2016)

Thread Information