Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ITV's new-look breakfast show Daybreak

ITV's new-look breakfast show Daybreak

ITV's new-look breakfast show will be called Daybreak when Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley take the helm, the broadcaster has announced.

Bosses have been planning a massive re-vamp of the early morning GMTV show, which has already seen the departures of several presenters announced.

The BBC said on Thursday that Bleakley would not return to The One Show when it comes back on Monday. She was due to continue presenting the BBC1 magazine programme until September.

Viewers will see the transformed ITV1 show from September, broadcast from "brand new, state-of-the-art studios". Joining anchors Chiles and Bleakley will be an "unrivalled team of special correspondents tasked with setting the day's agenda", ITV said.

The wave of GMTV presenters who have already been announced as either set to leave or who have already gone includes Emma Crosby, Andrew Castle, Ben Shephard and Penny Smith.

Programme makers said the show will emphasise its news and "distinctive, credible journalism" as well as blending entertainment, sport, health, human interest and lifestyle stories.

Lorraine Kelly will present a revamped follow-on show to Daybreak live from a new studio in September. Lorraine is being billed as "the home of celebrity interviews and inspirational stories from exceptional people". She said: "I love breakfast TV and I am absolutely delighted to be continuing with my own show. I am also very lucky to have an incredibly talented and hard-working team and we are all looking forward to September."

Director of factual, daytime and GMTV Alison Sharman said Chiles and Bleakley would be the "lynchpins" of Daybreak, which aims to pull in new viewers as well as maintaining current ones. She said: "Since acquiring GMTV we have carried out a thorough review and set out to transform and significantly invest in a business that had been lagging behind its competitors in recent years. Change, both on and off screen, is an essential part of the process in our bid to reclaim the top breakfast show spot.

"We want to ensure that the core audience of housewives with children keep watching but are also determined to attract new viewers to our revitalised breakfast show. As we approach the next stage of this transformational journey, our newly confirmed anchors - Christine and Adrian - will be the lynchpins of Daybreak with their unique and brilliant partnership."

The revamp also sees the company GMTV Limited changing its name to ITV Breakfast Limited, with Daybreak and Lorraine both coming under its umbrella.

So GMTV is scraped?

Daybreak

ITV have confirmed that GMTV will be rebranded as Daybreak.

Launching in September, the show will be hosted by Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley.

The £1.5m relaunch will include new music and graphics along with a new studio overlooking the River Thames which will be equipped with technology for high-definition broadcasting.

Chiles and Bleakley will be joined by a team of special correspondents with the aim of bringing viewers a more news-led show along with entertainment, human interest and sport features.

ITV Director of Factual and Daytime Alison Sharman said that the rebrand had been planned since ITV bought out Disney's 25P% stake in the show last year.

"Since acquiring GMTV we have carried out a thorough review and set out to transform and significantly invest in a business that had been lagging behind its competitors in recent years," she said. "Change, both on and off screen, is an essential part of the process in our bid to reclaim the top breakfast show spot."

She added: "We want to ensure that the core audience of housewives with children keep watching but are also determined to attract new viewers to our revitalised breakfast show."

Lorraine Kelly's current slot will also be rebranded as Daybreak Lorraine.

The 50-year-old presenter said: "I love breakfast TV and I am absolutely delighted to be continuing with my own show! I am also very lucky to have an incredibly talented and hard working team and we are all looking forward to September."

Kate Garraway has been confirmed as part of the Daybreak editorial team.

The GMTV presenter will join anchors Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley from September as the entertainment editor. Garraway's role will include covering all the major showbiz stories, interviewing A-list stars and covering entertainment events around the world.

Steve Hargreave will work alongside Garraway as the entertainment correspondent.

Speaking about her new role, the 43-year-old said: "This is a fantastic opportunity to spread my wings in an exciting new role. Showbusiness is big business and Daybreak will be the place for all the big interviews and stories."

Meanwhile, John Stapleton has been confirmed as the show's special correspondent, Richard Gaisford will be the chief correspondent, Dr Hilary Jones continues as the health editor, while Grainne Seoige will be the features editor.

Director of factual, daytime and GMTV Alison Sharman said: "Daybreak plays a key part in ITV’s ongoing transformation and reflects the fact that creative renewal lies at the heart of our schedule, which is being modernised and improved under Peter Fincham.

"Since acquiring GMTV we have carried out a thorough review and set out to transform and significantly invest in a business that had been lagging behind its competitors in recent years. Change, both on and off screen, is an essential part of the process in our bid to reclaim the top breakfast show spot.

"As we approach the next stage of this transformational journey our newly confirmed team of special correspondents and editors will set the agenda for the nation each and every morning alongside Christine and Adrian - who will be the lynchpins of Daybreak with their unique and brilliant partnership."

Kate Garraway has been confirmed as part of the Daybreak editorial team.

The GMTV presenter will join anchors Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley from September as the entertainment editor. Garraway's role will include covering all the major showbiz stories, interviewing A-list stars and covering entertainment events around the world.

Steve Hargreave will work alongside Garraway as the entertainment correspondent.

Speaking about her new role, the 43-year-old said: "This is a fantastic opportunity to spread my wings in an exciting new role. Showbusiness is big business and Daybreak will be the place for all the big interviews and stories."

Meanwhile, John Stapleton has been confirmed as the show's special correspondent, Richard Gaisford will be the chief correspondent, Dr Hilary Jones continues as the health editor, while Grainne Seoige will be the features editor.

Director of factual, daytime and GMTV Alison Sharman said: "Daybreak plays a key part in ITV’s ongoing transformation and reflects the fact that creative renewal lies at the heart of our schedule, which is being modernised and improved under Peter Fincham.

"Since acquiring GMTV we have carried out a thorough review and set out to transform and significantly invest in a business that had been lagging behind its competitors in recent years. Change, both on and off screen, is an essential part of the process in our bid to reclaim the top breakfast show spot.

"As we approach the next stage of this transformational journey our newly confirmed team of special correspondents and editors will set the agenda for the nation each and every morning alongside Christine and Adrian - who will be the lynchpins of Daybreak with their unique and brilliant partnership."

Kate Garraway has said that she is "thrilled" with her role on GMTV when it relaunches as Daybreak.

It was confirmed last week that the presenter will remain on the new show as entertainment editor.

In her New magazine column, Garraway wrote that she is "absolutely thrilled" with the new position.

"In the last ten years at GMTV, I’ve debated with three prime ministers, travelled five continents and shared the experiences of people at the heart of a decade of news events," she said.

"But, I must admit, that while I’ve loved debating financial policy with Gordon Brown and wading knee-deep in flood waters and the like on big stories, I am rather relishing the chance in my new job of curling up to chat with the likes of Brad Pitt. Wouldn't you?"

The 43-year-old claimed that she was excited about the revamped programme, which will be anchored by former One Show duo Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley.

"I’m also really looking forward to working with my new colleagues, Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley, and making Daybreak a massive success," she said.

WENNGail Porter has admitted that she doesn't know whether she will be a part of ITV's new morning show Daybreak.

Porter currently works as a reporter on GMTV but told The Daily Telegraph that she has not heard anything about appearing on its replacement.

"Nobody knows anything," she said. "They haven't said if we will have jobs, no-one is talking contracts, nothing."

ITV has previously claimed that former One Show duo Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley will be at "the heart" of the show, while Lorraine Kelly's slot will be rebranded as Daybreak Lorraine.

Kate Garraway has also been confirmed as part of the editorial team alongside Steve Hargreave, John Stapleton, Richard Gaisford, Dr Hilary Jones and Grainne Seoige.

Daybreak is expected to launch in September.

Jonathan Ross's former house band 4 Poofs And A Piano have reportedly joined ITV's new breakfast programme Daybreak.

According to The Sun, the group will appear on Friday mornings and perform a song based on the week's news.

"We can't wait to work with the lovely Adrian - and of course Christine," they said in a statement.

Daybreak, which replaces GMTV, begins on Monday.

Sky's 'Sunrise' host Eamonn Holmes has reportedly dubbed 'Daybreak' presenter Christine Bleakley "Miss Stratosphere", suggesting that she may be thinking of herself as more important than she actually is.

According to The Daily Star, he said: "Oh yes, Miss Stratosphere. So pleased for her; let’s just hope she doesn’t forget about the little people as she continues to rise.”

The rival breakfast presenter also claimed to have turned down the chance to host ITV1's new show 'Daybreak', which Christine currently co-presents with Adrian Chiles.

“I was offered the role but turned it down. Yes, I guess it was a difficult decision but I don’t regret it. Why would I? I get to work with great people every day”, he commented.

Holmes also accused 'Daybreak' of taking ideas from his own show, as he stated: "I won’t be watching ['Daybreak'].

"I’m far too busy on my own show, although I take it as a compliment that they like ours so much they decided to steal elements from it for theirs. And they even tried to steal some of the team.”

'Daybreak' drew about 1 million viewers when it launched last Monday, compared to around 660,000 for its predecessor 'GMTV' last week.

Eamonn Holmes has criticised the reporting of comments he made about Christine Bleakley, claiming that the press are attempting to cause trouble between the pair.

Holmes told Bang Showbiz that the Daybreak host was "in the stratosphere now". He added that he was "really pleased" for his fellow Northern Irish presenter but hoped she "remembers all the small people on the way up".

"Some papers trying to make mischief re me and Christine Bleakley deliberately not choosing to see my remarks as humorous or self deprecating," he wrote on Twitter.

"Whatever ...it gives them their fun but they fail to add how long we have known each other and my personal and professional view that she will be Britain's biggest female telly presenter for the next 3 years. No-one is more thrilled for her success than me.

"I said she is STRATOSPHERIC - well she is and at the moment everyone else is just remotely trotting behind in terms of publicity."

Holmes also said that the breakfast TV competition is "good" and asked people to "enjoy the fight for viewers".

He added: "Ps However much I rate Christine, and few have helped or advised her more, I still think that SkyNews Sunrise is the best breakfast show."

Yesterday, the former GMTV host revealed that he turned down an offer to present Daybreak.

Thread Information