Thread: Deadenders to face BBC Trust review

Cool Deadenders to face BBC Trust review

EastEnders will reportedly undergo a value-for-money review from the BBC Trust as part of a network-wide drama assessment.

The Guardian reports that the corporation is looking to strip its £200m drama budget in the coming years.

It is expected that the public broadcaster's other continuing dramas such as Doctors, Casualty and Holby City will also be under scrutiny.

BBC Trust chairman Michael Lyons announced: "In the coming year, we will continue our drive to ensure that the BBC offers high quality and distinctive programming and that it provides excellent value for money, through a number of major editorial, service and value-for-money reviews.

"The trust has set itself an ambitious agenda of planned activities for 2010/11 which we believe will make the BBC even stronger, and will ensure that the public can be confident that the BBC is being run in their best interests."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (09-04-2010), Dutchgirl (09-04-2010)

They wont get rid of Eastenders, its been running for 25 years. Its definitely value for money! Also Holby City and Casualy are definitely money makers.

They could reduce the amount of episodes EE show every week and cut holby and casualty in half,were you have one programme on for 26 weeks then the other for the other 26 weeks. Like they do with american drama's. The only other option would be to axe shows like spooks. Personally I would go with option 1 with a reduction on continuing dramas instead of axing drama's that are only on for afew episodes a year.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

I think the biggest effect of any review on Deadenders will be an end to the ridiclous amounts of money they pay to bring back so called stars like Grunt for a few episodes.

The Poison Dwarf should think before she quits as the Beeb may not have the money to fund her weeturn. So its not all bad news then

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'brien View Post
    They could reduce the amount of episodes EE show every week and cut holby and casualty in half,were you have one programme on for 26 weeks then the other for the other 26 weeks. Like they do with american drama's. The only other option would be to axe shows like spooks. Personally I would go with option 1 with a reduction on continuing dramas instead of axing drama's that are only on for afew episodes a year.
    I would support cutting the number of episodes of continuing dramas. American dramas are astoundingly good as opposed to english ones, the quality of storylines/the writing is much higher. Plus stars may be more likely to stay on longer as they'd get a long break in which to do other stuff.

I hope they don't axe short dramas such as spooks I don't know how much more Total Wipeout and Lottery in it to win it type tv reality shows I can take!
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

I'm a big fan of American drama and agree that a lot of their TV is far superior to ours. However, my sister lives in the US and she says that there's an awful lot of dross on over there too, and their soaps are just laughable compared to ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I'm a big fan of American drama and agree that a lot of their TV is far superior to ours. However, my sister lives in the US and she says that there's an awful lot of dross on over there too, and their soaps are just laughable compared to ours.
    Their soaps are brilliant.. so much cheese and over the top storyline, you can't take them serious
    Super Mod

Thread Information